PDA

View Full Version : Post-Ride Nutrition

Louis
06-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Do you have a specific routine for nutrition immediately after your rides?

Every now and then I have some cottage cheese (and I'm thinking of adding tomatoes to the mix, for the lycopene), but I'm not terribly regular at buying it. I think chocolate milk has been mentioned here in the past, so I suppose that's an option.

Most of my rides are in the late afternoon, so I end up having supper about and hour or so after I get done. What I'm talking about here is stuff you take right after your ride.

TIA

Bruce K
06-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Usually one of the following:

a. Hammer Nutrition Recoverite (chocolate).

b. Chocolate milk

c. Anything in sight.....:rolleyes:

BK

oldpotatoe
06-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Every now and then I have some cottage cheese (and I'm thinking of adding tomatoes to the mix, for the lycopene), but I'm not terribly regular at buying it. I think chocolate milk has been mentioned here in the past, so I suppose that's an option.

Most of my rides are in the late afternoon, so I end up having supper about and hour or so after I get done. What I'm talking about here is stuff you take right after your ride.

TIA

Summer time

evo111@comcast.net
06-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Chocolate milk (while tasty) even the soy variety contains a fair of amount of sugar. Amazing what you discover when you read the label.

SlackMan
06-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Chocolate milk (while tasty) even the soy variety contains a fair of amount of sugar. Amazing what you discover when you read the label.

+10 on the above. Milk has natural sugars (about 12g per serving), but chocolate milk adds another 13g-18g depending on the brand. That's a lot of sugar to get in one glass of chocolate milk.

S

67-59
06-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Chocolate peanut butter. Yummmm....

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/darkchocolatedreams.html

wallymann
06-16-2013, 08:45 AM
http://community.mis.temple.edu/mis3538csturner/files/2012/03/hoeg1.jpg

etu
06-16-2013, 08:59 AM
I got worked up into a frenzy by all those ads with Hines Ward and drank chocolate milk after a ride even though I am lactose intolerant.
Good thing I didn't have to social obligations as I was farting all night.:confused:
Sticking with routine of real food, energy bars, or some Hammer product.

Ti Designs
06-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Apparently, my diet only works for me...

slidey
06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I've stopped governing my diet by the hearsay from the cyclists' grapevine - as someone else said above, the labels are quiet the stark revelation. I go for a fruit - banana (nowadays, a peach), and if required half a bar of the bear valley pemmican (http://www.mealpack.com/products/carob_cocoa.html) thing if my ride ends at an unconventional time for lunch/dinner.

DRietz
06-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Water, sometimes with some whey, and a banana.

Exonerv
06-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I seem to have a thing for a cold grapefruit post ride. Sometimes I start thinking about it miles from home.

Cold watermelon is pretty darn good too. Probably more for the hydration than nutrition.

However, I have found that pre-ride...peanut butter, banana & honey on toasted bread with a small glass of milk has magical properties. I have never found anything else that burns so slow and even.

TampaJim
06-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Chocolate milk of Muscle milk....ice cold. Mmmmm mmmm

tribuddha
06-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Chocolate milk is great because it has the ratio of 4:1 that your body needs for recovery post ride. The key is the 20 minute window to get that snack in to help with recovery. Then within two hours a substantial meal to complete the process. The caveat for me is only for workouts longer than two hours, otherwise your body probably does not need this amount of caloric intake.

sg8357
06-16-2013, 07:55 PM
A pint of Graeters chip ice cream and 8 Graeters cookies,
or if you are lazy, buy the pre-made chip wheelies.

AngryScientist
06-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Almost always beer.

Lovetoclimb
06-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Usually beer, one before I shower, another during, a third with whatever I am eating post. Especially now in summer, after 5+ hours in the sun and humidity, a chilled Ruby Redbird by Shiner just hits the spot.

mod6
06-16-2013, 09:48 PM
At Tasty IPA unless it a morning ride. Then it's oatmeal with raisins and walnuts

false_Aest
06-16-2013, 10:30 PM

If you're riding competitively, supplement and recover right. If you're not, you're probably rocking a calorie surplus + have a decent store of the good stuff already in your blood.

During the off-season I was using a rather protein dense recovery drink (Hammer + Whey/Caesin blend + glucosamine + BCAA...something like 36g of protein) post work-out (work out, fwiw was riding and lifting) and supplemented other stuff through out the day.

During the season I would down a 12g protein shake with 2 tbsp of honey thrown in right when I got home, take a shower, then eat real food (roasted chicken salad + carbs).

Now: Banana for breakfast. Ride. Egg, cheese, ham, bagel sandwich. If I renew my license I'll go back to worrying about that ****.

Louis
06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
If you're riding competitively, supplement and recover right. If you're not, you're probably rocking a calorie surplus + have a decent store of the good stuff already in your blood.

To clarify, I'm nowhere near a competitive rider / racer, just a guy who rides a bike because it's fun and it's good for me.

shinomaster
06-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Milk and cookies.:banana:

froy
09-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Whey shake, banana, berries, sometimes with milk, sometimes with some kind of bean milk

Fremont Dave
09-06-2013, 08:29 PM
For hard rides under 50 miles I use two scoops of Trader Joe's whey protein in a bit of milk. If it's over 50 I more often resort to Hammer Recoverite. In both cases I follow-up with some real food in sufficient quantities. Further into post-recovery a tasty beer is not a problem.

Louis
09-06-2013, 08:43 PM
It isn't cheap, but I settled on Recoverite. I think it helps a bit, is certainly no magic potion.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Whey shake, banana, berries, sometimes with milk, sometimes with some kind of bean milk

yikes.....I'd rather not ride..IMHO.

buldogge
09-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Peter...I think he just means some soy milk. I make all my smoothies/power shakes with soy milk, as do the finest smoothie bar baristas of Pearl St. I'm sure! :p

-Mark in St. Louis

yikes.....I'd rather not ride..IMHO.

tch
09-07-2013, 09:46 AM
McDonalds strawberry shake and a small bag o' fries.
Mmmmmm...

And for all the doubters, I am in shape...

...it's just that the shape is round.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Peter...I think he just means some soy milk. I make all my smoothies/power shakes with soy milk, as do the finest smoothie bar baristas of Pearl St. I'm sure! :p

-Mark in St. Louis

I knew it was soy milk...it just sounded...well, nothin I'm gonna try.

A chocolate malt..you bet...no soy or whey smoothes, thanks.

Lewis Moon
09-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Last couple of rides it's been peanut butter and jelly on wheat with a glass of milk.

chriscap
09-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I used to swear by Endurox R4 after every ride, but my supply went bad because I stopped riding as regularly. Recently I picked up Gatorade's recovery drink at a local gas station and found it works really well for me. I'm starting to ride more, so I'll probably go back to R4. but I was pleasantly surprised by results I've gotten with the Gatorade and the Mixed Berry flavor has grown on me.

Black Dog
09-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Finished the Highlander yesterday and after 10000+ feet of climbing I found that the pulled pork and pie that they fed us with some beer did a great job. I feel great today. All of these complicated post ride potions sound so unappetizing. Part of riding is burning a ton of calories so you can enjoy some food and drink after a ride. Short of being an elite level athlete why spend so much time and effort on manufactured recovery products? Normal food and rest with a beer or two....:)