PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on new wheel build

mikkelsp
06-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I’m getting parts together for a new set of wheels for my titanium Salsa La Cruz. I currently have Velocity Deep V rims with 36 straight-gauge spokes and 32mm Schwalbe Marathon supremes. These wheels and tires are bomb-proof but I’m looking to build more of a performance wheelset.

My weight is 63kg (140 lb) and I don’t race so this will be for general road riding – group rides, charity rides, some commuting.

So far I have the tires I’ll be using, which are Grand Bois Cypress Extra Leger. These are 32mm wide and built with Panaracers highest performance casing and tread compounds to keep weight down to 232 grams per tyre. These will be fast and very comfortable.

I also have the rear hub which is a 28 hole Dura Ace 9000. I’ll be getting a Dura Ace 9000 front hub with either 24 or 28 holes, but at this stage I’m leaning towards 28 hole as well.

My rim choice was HED Belgiums, but I’m thinking of waiting for the new Belgium plus rims to be released. These increase width to 25mm and have a tubeless compatible rim profile, but weigh slightly more and lose the offset spoke hole drilling of the regular Belgiums. I think the new plus rims would be better though for the wider tires I like to use.

Anyway, the thing I’m having a hard time deciding on is spoke type and lacings. For the front wheel I’m thinking either CX-rays or Lasers, 28 x 2 cross.

For the rear, 28 x 3 cross with either CX-rays both sides OR Sapim race drive side and CX-ray non-drive side or race drive side and lasers non-drive side.

I’m not expecting any aero benefits with the CX-rays, but they seem to be favoured for building strong wheels and minimising wind-up when tensioning. Plus, I like the look.

What do the experts think?

cachagua
06-14-2013, 11:18 PM
I have a working hypothesis that butted spokes, like you're proposing, can extend rim life by lowering the peak forces applied to the spoke holes. Hit a bump, they stretch some, and the energy it took to stretch them doesn't get transmitted to the rest of the system. . . so potentially, maybe even more bombproof than the equivalent wheel with straight-gauge spokes, and maybe slightly more comfortable, in the bargain?

Maybe. Haven't really made an experiment out of it.

My most recent build for myself was: high-flange hubs, Sapim Race spokes, TB14 rims, a bit higher tension than I've previously used. They are --> nice to ride. But it's WAY too soon to know anything about durability.

I'll be interested to see what other folks have to say--

Edit: forgot you were asking the experts -- that's definitely not me.

ryker
06-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Sounds like a nice wheelset. I like CX-Rays all around if you can afford it. Otherwise Lasers with Race rear DS is a good choice though more work to build. At your weight and using a good rim, a 24h front is quite workable unless you are hard on wheels.

oldpotatoe
06-15-2013, 07:11 AM
I’m getting parts together for a new set of wheels for my titanium Salsa La Cruz. I currently have Velocity Deep V rims with 36 straight-gauge spokes and 32mm Schwalbe Marathon supremes. These wheels and tires are bomb-proof but I’m looking to build more of a performance wheelset.

My weight is 63kg (140 lb) and I don’t race so this will be for general road riding – group rides, charity rides, some commuting.

So far I have the tires I’ll be using, which are Grand Bois Cypress Extra Leger. These are 32mm wide and built with Panaracers highest performance casing and tread compounds to keep weight down to 232 grams per tyre. These will be fast and very comfortable.

I also have the rear hub which is a 28 hole Dura Ace 9000. I’ll be getting a Dura Ace 9000 front hub with either 24 or 28 holes, but at this stage I’m leaning towards 28 hole as well.

My rim choice was HED Belgiums, but I’m thinking of waiting for the new Belgium plus rims to be released. These increase width to 25mm and have a tubeless compatible rim profile, but weigh slightly more and lose the offset spoke hole drilling of the regular Belgiums. I think the new plus rims would be better though for the wider tires I like to use.

Anyway, the thing I’m having a hard time deciding on is spoke type and lacings. For the front wheel I’m thinking either CX-rays or Lasers, 28 x 2 cross.

For the rear, 28 x 3 cross with either CX-rays both sides OR Sapim race drive side and CX-ray non-drive side or race drive side and lasers non-drive side.

I’m not expecting any aero benefits with the CX-rays, but they seem to be favoured for building strong wheels and minimising wind-up when tensioning. Plus, I like the look.

What do the experts think?

Do this but number 2 on the rear..Cx-Ray or Lazer(Or DT Revs) and the left hand side and Race(or DT Comps) right side rear. use brass nipps..I recommend ProLocks, since the RH center to flange has moved inward..unless you use an OC rim(DT 440?)..but use prolocks anyway.

Cx-rays are nice spokes but in reality just ovalized, thin spokes. Also, like DT Aerolites, expensive.

holliscx
06-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Sapim CX-Rays on a Salsa = things that make you go hmmmm

cuda2k
06-15-2013, 11:29 AM
When I had my wheelset built for the Kirk the plan was to do the DT Comps on the rear driveside, but my wheel builder missed that note in his order sheet when he went to build it. Haven't noticed any rear brake rub or excessive flex in the back. At your weight, and running a fatter tire, you should be fine with cx-rays all the way around. For the fatter tire, I'll throw out the idea of some A23's, but your first choice of the HED Belgium C2 rim is a great one as well if you can find them - I know they were difficult to find for a while. I have a set of both, and the C2's certainly look nicer than the A23's, but can't attest for much beyond that as I have yet to put a mile on the A23's, but will say they mount up a 700x37c without any issue.

dem
06-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I've a set of A23s + CXrays.

Since Velocity moved production stateside on new tooling, the A23s are nice and round and smooth. Good value, and tubeless ready.

I had mine built up with 24/28 and a Powertap G3, brass nipples. At 175+ they are comfortable and not super stiff with GP4000 23s (real measure 24.8 on the wide rims.)

Whole wheelset ended up being 1560-ish, which is pretty decent with a Powertap on them.