PDA

View Full Version : Iowa City for the weekend

FlashUNC
06-14-2013, 10:47 AM
In Iowa City for the weekend. The Boss is a bridesmaid and I'm along for the ride. Saturday I am free as she is knee deep in bridesmaid work. Any suggestions on cool shops/food to check out?

oliver1850
06-14-2013, 12:47 PM
World of Bikes was an OK shop last time I stopped in, but nothing terribly out of the ordinary.

I almost never eat there, but there's plenty of places downtown within easy walking distance.

For me, Record Collector is always good.

You were dealt a crap weekend to visit, but I could bring a bike over if it looks like there will be a gap in the cloudbursts. There's pretty nice riding in the area.

Tandem Rider
06-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Geoff's Bike and Ski for shop. They will have their fingers on the pulse of any rides. Downtown for eats, Xi, Motley Cow, Atlas, Basta, and 126 for excellent dinners. Breakfast at Bluebird Diner (there will be a line), Sunday brunch at Motley Cow.

PM me if you need a ride suggestions or possibly a bike to borrow for the weekend.

I need to do a loosen up ride tonight if you are in town already and free.

Just found out there is at least a ride from Iowa City New Pioneer Coop at 10am. it will be fairly quick paced, hardish climbs etc.

spiderman
06-14-2013, 01:49 PM
In Iowa City for the weekend. The Boss is a bridesmaid and I'm along for the ride. Saturday I am free as she is knee deep in bridesmaid work. Any suggestions on cool shops/food to check out?

hope you like it!
http://www.masalaiowacity.com/

FlashUNC
06-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Wished I could have brought some gear to borrow a bike, but The Boss was adamant we keep it to one bag. But I'll definitely check out the food selections.

Likely free for lunch tomorrow if anyone's interested.

rnhood
06-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Scheels in Iowa City (Coralville) is the nicest sporting goods store I've ever been in, and well worth a visit. Lots of merchandise and a well organized store. They have a beautiful firearms section on the second floor that you can spend hours in admiring the merchandise. The Power House is a neat place to eat right along the river.

Tandem Rider
06-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Lunch in downtown IC is fun. I'll be racing until evening. Park in a ramp and just walk, it's summer, neat stuff downtown, campus edge blends into downtown. Neighborhood is quite safe, enjoy your time.
Almost forgot, Short's for a burger.