PDA

View Full Version : Charleston SC trip in July

bikerboy337
06-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Wife and I are planning a 4 or 5 day trip without the kids (5 and 2) and thinking of doing Charleston. Planning to stay at the courtyard historic district (I have Marriott points, so it's free)

Any thoughts on Charleston? Is that a good area to be? I visited 20 years ago so I know nothing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Joachim
06-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Lots of history, fantastic food...see a few plantations, they are on my way home from work. If you bring a bike we can go for a ride to the islands. I work in downtown Chs.

rnhood
06-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Agree with Joachim. I lived there for 4 years back in the early 70's and loved the place. Nothing like crossing the Cooper River bridge back then after a few beers. Whew! Its a different bridge today though.

Great food and wonderful hospitality. True southern culture. It will also be hot and steamy in July, but what coastal southern town isn't? Have fun.

avalonracing
06-13-2013, 07:46 PM
My brother has a place down in IOP, just outside Charleston. I was surprised at what a cool little city it was. Agreed that it's a great place to dine out. I just wanted to eat everywhere and was not disappointed.

deluxerider
06-13-2013, 08:02 PM
It's got a little bit of everything. Beaches, food, shopping, great architecture, history, and culture. I just moved away 2 years ago and miss it often.

firerescuefin
06-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Lots of history, fantastic food...see a few plantations, they are on my way home from work. If you bring a bike we can go for a ride to the islands. I work in downtown Chs.

Plus Joachim works at the South Carolina equivalent of BALCO :cool:...so if your looking for some designer "flaxseed oil" or a great "nutrition program" ...he's your guy ;)

earlfoss
06-14-2013, 08:13 AM
When you're there I highly, highly suggest that you go to Seewee Restaurant. Holy moly. I love that place.

FlashUNC
06-14-2013, 10:45 AM
You have to go Jestine's Kitchen for the Coca-cola fried chicken and collards. Your life will change.

Also, Rue 37, I think, is amazing for classic French fare.

And go to Fig if you're looking for a nice night out. Beard award nominee.

Tons of great food there.

xjoex
06-14-2013, 11:08 AM
I love Charleston, almost moved there. My inlaws live in Kiowah so we are there all the time.

My only suggestion is to take a break from fine dining and go eat at the Mellow Mushroom... the pretzels... oh the pretzels.

Cheers,
-Joe

Joachim
06-14-2013, 11:12 AM
You have to go Jestine's Kitchen for the Coca-cola fried chicken and collards. Your life will change.

Also, Rue 37, I think, is amazing for classic French fare.

And go to Fig if you're looking for a nice night out. Beard award nominee.

Tons of great food there.

FIG is my favorite and its Rue de Jean (and overrated IMO). My other go-to places are Cypress, Magnolias and no.1 for steaks, Hall's Chophouse on King street.

FlashUNC
06-14-2013, 11:20 AM
FIG is my favorite and its Rue de Jean (and overrated IMO). My other go-to places are Cypress, Magnolias and no.1 for steaks, Hanks on King street.

Rue is pricey for what they serve. I might have caught the cooks on a good day.

What's the name of that converted Coast Guard station that's now an oyster bar? I drank and ate entirely too much there one night.

bikerboy337
06-14-2013, 06:09 PM
For all the options so far. Well definitely check a few of these out. Joachim, I'll see if I can break away for a few hours one day, looks like Incan rent a road bike down there, so I might do that one day ..

Joachim
06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Great! If it was a few months ago you, I could lend you one of mine but currently I only hacw one bike. Unbelievable but true.

miksibis
06-14-2013, 09:21 PM
i don't know what your options are for renting a road bike, but i can provide a 58-60cm if you need a road bike for a few days. my riding for the summer is eclipsed by travel softball for the daughter. message me here and we can work something out with one of the local shops. mike

swPArider
06-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Charleston is a really cool town. I got a lot of relatives that live outside Charleston so every time we would visit them as a kid we would always make a day of going to Charleston and checking out the sights. Walking/biking around town is the way to go.

bikerboy337
07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Any other advice on places to go, let me know (food or historic stuff to see)

Staying in the historic district for the rest of the week.

Thanks all!

FlashUNC
07-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Go see the Old Slave Mart if you want to leave completely depressed and despondent about man's cruelty to fellow man.

avalonracing
07-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Well if you haven't done it yet go check out beach at low tide. As I mentioned before my brother has a place over in Isle of Palms. I've seen a few beaches before but what is cool down there is that they are in the "low country" so at low tide you can walk across 500 feet of freshly exposed beach (with amazing looking shells) and then walk out into the water for 100 yards before it's up to your waist.

bikerboy337
07-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Just tried to get a reservation for FIG later this week and they're completely booked... Wouldn't have thought that would happen in charleston.

FlashUNC
07-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Just tried to get a reservation for FIG later this week and they're completely booked... Wouldn't have thought that would happen in charleston.

Beard Awards and all...

bikerboy337
07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
I know... This is what happens when you're married with two young kids... Reservations are never an issue as we never hit nice restaurants...

rounder
07-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I worked on a job in Charleston about 15 years ago. We went to Isle of Palms and it was a quiet beach town with a lot of little houses on the beach and the only thing happening was a bar called the One Eyed Parrot. Was there last year and it was super developed compared to before (does not mean that it was not good in a different way).

Downtown Charleston buildings looked like they had not changed in a hundred years.

bikerboy337
07-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Eating at magnolias on Thursday, (thanks Joachim for the Rec) and booking a massage at earthling day spa... Will likely try some of the other restaurants out too that have been mentioned

josephr
07-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Charleston is pretty nice...went there a few years ago...

suggestions:
Ft Sumter (obvious, right)
Hyman's (best seafood -- lunch menu is affordable since you've got kids in tow)
If you have time, take a plantation tour. I forget the name of the one we went to, but it was an old rice plantation and it was beautiful.

Anything outside (or not on the beach) do early in the morning. I'm from Alabama and found the humidity on the over-bearing side.

Have fun!