PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal biomechanics and racing

legMA
06-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Wondering if there are examples of successful racers with abnormal biomechanics. Specifically, maybe a rotated pelvis contributing to mild scoliosis, leading to one leg to be shorter than the other, or other form of leg length discrepancy.

While a fit can maximize power output in that biomechanical position, is there a cap on how successful a racer one might be, compared with others with normal alignment? Or can/should one train just as much as the normally aligned and expect sustainable gains and success?

rnhood
06-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Genetics and the cardiovascular system, generally speaking, trump all. As long as one is not seriously handicapped in some bio manner, then with a suitable fit training will put them in the lead group (so to speak). People make too much of small time fit issues and slight bio anomalies. Get the contact points right and train. That's all it takes.

HenryA
06-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Sean Yates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Yates

Sat all cattywompered on the bike and went fast anyway.

Vientomas
06-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Sean Yates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Yates

Sat all cattywompered on the bike and went fast anyway.

Dope overcomes all.

Wilkinson4
06-13-2013, 10:06 PM
While a fit can maximize power output in that biomechanical position, is there a cap on how successful a racer one might be, compared with others with normal alignment? Or can/should one train just as much as the normally aligned and expect sustainable gains and success?

Merckx did ok:) Crashed in a derny and cracked a vertebra and 'twisted' his pelvis. He was always fiddling with his fit but had some success:rolleyes: One guy that seemed really hunched on a bike was Escartin, but he could climb very well.

mIKE

93legendti
06-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Alexi Grewal had some hip problems, if I recall correctly. I think he went to an extreme forward position later in his career.

Who was the Spaniard who was twisted on his bike? Actually, 2 come to mind... Mancebo and Escartin. I don't know if they had physical issues, but they sure looked in pain while pedaling.

carpediemracing
06-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Lemond had one foot much smaller than the other. He had some significant amount of his kidneys not working, even before he got shot (10/90%?). I think he had a leg length discrepancy but I don't know.

In terms of "not fitting the bike" but still doing well, Sean Kelly comes to mind. I don't know if he could have been fit better but he always looked awkward sitting on the bike, like Jens Voigt did when he got that spare yellow bike.

Voigt has a position similar to Grewal's forward (and ultimately illegal) position. I don't know if he's used the position the whole time. The first time I could get some number on it was when I was skimming through some pro bike review/reports. Voigt has way less set back than say Boonen. I don't remember the other riders' numbers enough to say "he's as forward as such and such" but it's a significant difference between the two, and Voigt uses a bike that's tall like Boonen. With Voigt I've never seen a reason published for his saddle position.

I agree with rnhood in terms of VO2 max (cardio, genetics, whatever makes VO2 max what it is in a person). Get a high VO2 max, a reasonable weight, and if you can pedal the bike it'll be hard to defeat said rider on a climb. Add in racing skills/tactics and it'll be hard to beat them in something more than just a climb. If they have a good power level for their size then TTs become part of their domain. Finally if they have some level of fast twitch muscles they can even sprint (although most very strong riders can sprint simply because their VO2 max is so high they're not working as hard during the race therefore they're relatively fresh at the end).