PDA

View Full Version : why no 3d fit?

ada@prorider.or
12-12-2005, 11:02 AM
why are there no bike shops who do a 3d fitting
i only see fittings like 50 years ago
no power distribution no pedal power measurent?
no flex measurements
for tt bike no real aerodymic fittings regarding reduce air resistance measurement

and lot of other things
this would help the bike shops in the winter
now they have time to invest in to the satisfied costumer

i am really always wondering why they do not do that
no know-how no money no computer
or what can be the problem
???????????????????????

JohnS
12-12-2005, 11:18 AM
No demand for what it would cost.

ada@prorider.or
12-12-2005, 11:26 AM

how is it that we they always get those questions then?
despite the cost?

inthegutter
12-12-2005, 11:32 AM

Odd comment for a serotta forum.

Cees, there is one place local to me that does 3D fittings and they are regarded as the best fit place in the country. Boulder Center for Sports Medicine is the place and they charge $400. Tyler, Floyd and some others have gotten their fits there.

Also, for $1,000 you can go to MIT and get your TT position dialed in while in the wind tunnel.

Serotta PETE
12-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Many shops do the "flex" measure and some do a 3rd
review" of position if needed.

I was in a shop for TT not too long ago and they did do aero (no wind tunnel though)

As to the other items...there are many questions about it (as you mention) but not a large enough ## are willing to pay for the shop to make an investment. (I can only speak for the area of the country that I am in.)

From working with computers and the industry for over 30 years, I can tell you nothing still takes the place of a "knowledge" expert. The computer is only as good as the person inputting or using it.

JohnS
12-12-2005, 11:38 AM

Maybe I'm not the average forum member.

ergott
12-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Shop I know does flex and length measurements, and has a power meter on the fit cycle. The cranks have holes in them for every crank length as well. No frontal area measurement that I know of.

ada@prorider.or
12-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Cees, there is one place local to me that does 3D fittings and they are regarded as the best fit place in the country. Boulder Center for Sports Medicine is the place and they charge $400. Tyler, Floyd and some others have gotten their fits there.

Also, for $1,000 you can go to MIT and get your TT position dialed in while in the wind tunnel.

well i had once a famous canadian bike rider
who got fitter in that center with a laser he said they measure my sound riding
well if doctors come to bicycle's
(i only know one good one checinni )

he changed bikes and his bike was faulty

ergott
12-12-2005, 12:12 PM

I'm curious to know what "sound" they are measuring and how it is relevant to fitting someone.

Call me crazy, but I would think that the "ideal" fit session (for professionals) is a wind tunnel with a set of rollers (of belt) to ride on. There would be a power meter on the bike.

There would have to be other sessions with all the measuring tools on the rider to insure that the positions that work in the wind tunnel work for the rider. There is no setup that can measure everything at the same time. They would get in the way of measurements in the wind tunnel.

inthegutter
12-12-2005, 12:14 PM

I can't say i fully understand.

ada@prorider.or
12-12-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm curious to know what "sound" they are measuring and how it is relevant to fitting someone.

Call me crazy, but I would think that the "ideal" fit session (for professionals) is a wind tunnel with a set of rollers (of belt) to ride on. There would be a power meter on the bike.

There would have to be other sessions with all the measuring tools on the rider to insure that the positions that work in the wind tunnel work for the rider. There is no setup that can measure everything at the same time. They would get in the way of measurements in the wind tunnel.

sorry my poor english with sound i meant
a very good pedal stroke i tought that you would call it sound pedaling

the problem was the bottom bracket was not full 90 degrees under the seat tube
(this is frequently the case)
making the knee going in and out
they corrected it with a wedge under his shoe plate
also the right and left pedal where not 100 % even
this way you introduce a lot of problems

ada@prorider.or
12-12-2005, 12:32 PM

well did you ever see a pedal stroke measurement
360 degree power distibution also in 3d directions

this way you also can do that in windtunnel
just a example

Frustration
12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Bicycle Ranch in Scottsdale AZ does something like this... Lazer alignment, stretching, joint stability, stability strength testing, foot tilt and position... Basically how lots of folks should fit you (including a spin scan, lactate testing by position, blah blah blah...)

And "Sound" actually can mean "Sound" like what you hear rather than meaning stable.

If you're on a trainer and it makes a continuing, very even "whiiiir" sound it can mean your stroke is fairly round, on the other hand if the trainer is making an uneven sounding "whum -whum - whum" sound, it could mean you're pedaling in spurts... Try making your trainer make one continuing tone... it's the poor mans spin scan

ada@prorider.or
12-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Bicycle Ranch in Scottsdale AZ does something like this... Lazer alignment, stretching, joint stability, stability strength testing, foot tilt and position... Basically how lots of folks should fit you (including a spin scan, lactate testing by position, blah blah blah...)

ok by spin scan how do they measure the power then

well at least one then who does those measurement
where is it while i am in arizona meaby i can visit them

Frustration
12-12-2005, 12:52 PM
I'll put you up no problem!

Check out Computrainer.com for the spin scan

ada@prorider.or
12-12-2005, 12:59 PM
I'll put you up no problem!

Check out Computrainer.com for the spin scan

are you working there then?
and becuase it near by flagstaff at least south of it
i will only sneak by if i can find the time

ergott
12-12-2005, 01:24 PM
well did you ever see a pedal stroke measurement
360 degree power distibution also in 3d directions

this way you also can do that in windtunnel
just a example

The power meter reads 360 deg of rotation and can isolate each leg (separate reading for L and R). Now I see what you meen about "sound".

Frustration
12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
No, I don't work at Ranch, but I do know em very well. They are a couple hours from Sedona...