PDA

View Full Version : OT: Do detectives do any...detective work anymore?

chengher87
06-12-2013, 01:49 PM
http://on.aol.com/video/father-rescues-daughter-from-prostitution-ring-517814197?hp=1&playlist=127161&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D327807

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/11/joselyn-martinez-tracks-down-killer_n_3424303.html?1370992330&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl41|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D327476

Seriously, how do normal people outwork detectives, who are supposed to have access to (not CSI standard, but still...the woman basically used the "internet") more resources and oh...I don't know, training for this "special" field.

Louis
06-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Just ask Sunil Tripathi's relatives about this sort of thing, I'm sure they can tell you all about it.

MattTuck
06-12-2013, 02:06 PM
That interview is great... "Leave the detective work to the detectives please. move along, nothing to see here."

I don't have kids, but I have to say the guy should be given credit for his restraint and calling the police and reporting the situation. I can imagine an impulse to go vigilante.

Aaron O
06-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I can't speak to larger issues, but when our home was robbed by two people, Philly's finest showed up, took a report and wanted to leave immediately. They had no interest in taking prints, investigating beyond a bare minimum, etc. I pushed effectively and they did end up taking prints. The prints took over a month to get back. They matched a suspect who was subsequently arrested. The other person was never caught. The fence that we (and other victims) found and reported to the police was never investigated. I left multiple questions asking about what, if anything, they would do about the fence. No reply.

After the suspect was arrested, I saw the detective congratulated by the commissioner on a blog for their "fine investigative work." I left a polite, well written comment on the blog contradicting that statement and it was deleted by administrators. I dare say they made more effort in deleting my critical comment than they did in investigating the 12 burglaries the two were responsible for.

Nothing to see - move along.

MattTuck
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I can't speak to larger issues, but when our home was robbed by two people, Philly's finest showed up, took a report and wanted to leave immediately. They had no interest in taking prints, investigating beyond a bare minimum, etc. I pushed effectively and they did end up taking prints. The prints took over a month to get back. They matched a suspect who was subsequently arrested. The other person was never caught. The fence that we (and other victims) found and reported to the police was never investigated. I left multiple questions asking about what, if anything, they would do about the fence. No reply.

After the suspect was arrested, I saw the detective congratulated by the commissioner on a blog for their "fine investigative work." I left a polite, well written comment on the blog contradicting that statement and it was deleted by administrators. I dare say they made more effort in deleting my critical comment than they did in investigating the 12 burglaries the two were responsible for.

Nothing to see - move along.

Aaron, sorry to hear about that experience. Although I understand the impulse to try to get some vindication on the blog, I think you'd have gotten more mileage out of the local press.

Even in today's climate of social media and democratization of the internet, the traditional media still has a lot of influence when it comes to holding those in power accountable. Long live the Fourth Estate*.

gdw
06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
It depends upon the department or agency. Most communities have excellent officers and detectives while others, Boulder CO for example, are inept.

Aaron O
06-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Aaron, sorry to hear about that experience. Although I understand the impulse to try to get some vindication on the blog, I think you'd have gotten more mileage out of the local press.

Even in today's climate of social media and democratization of the internet, the traditional media still has a lot of influence when it comes to holding those in power accountable. Long live the Fourth Estate*.
Matt - it's so bad here that every day not doing your job stuff is the norm...to get media attention there has to be a building falling on the person or the officer has to be arrested for selling drugs.