PDA

View Full Version : Long reach calipers?

FierteTi52
12-10-2005, 11:49 AM
A few questions regarding long reach calipers:

1. Using Rolly Poly's, can the wheels be removed from the bike without letting air out of the tires by opening the brakes quick release?

2. Will the calipers fit a smaller size cross tire like a Michelin cross Jet?

3. How large of a tire will work with fenders?

4.The other brake option would be cantilevers, that provide more clearance. Which brake design provides stopping power? The Avid shortys on my cross bike do an OK job.

Thanks,
Jeff

Steve Hampsten
12-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Jeff,

1 - Yes. Even easier if you use Campy shifters.

2 - No problem, I do it all the time.

3 - 27mm - like a Rolly Poly.

4 - I find the Paul cantis give a little more brute stopping power but maybe don't modulate as well. They are a pain to get the wheel in and out of.The long reach calipers are a great choice unless there is some overwhelming need to use the cantis, imo. The Paul Racer centerpull brake probably splits the difference, but Douglas could tell you more about that.

Fat tires rule.

Ray
12-10-2005, 03:02 PM
To expand slightly on what Steve said,

1. Yeah, but sometimes you have to loosen the brake using the barrel adjuster to get it to clear. As noted, this is a non-issue with Campy levers or the Cane Creek / Tektro knock-offs, since these also have a QR built into the lever.

2. Yes, but it depends on the frame. If the brake bridge / fork is set high enough to have the brake blocks at the bottom of the slot, then no problem. If it's midway or higher, though, something as fat as the Michelin Jet (which is fatter than advertised, like many Michelins seem to be) could be tight.

3. Again, depends on the frame and fork and resulting brake block placement. On my rambouillet, which puts the blocks at the bottom of the slot (and, frankly, the slot could use another mm or two to make it work ideally), I can go bigger than a Roly Poly with fenders.

4. Nothing to add except that the setup and maintenance with sidepulls is SOOOOO much easier than cantis that unless mud clearance is your #1 concern, I'd go for sidepulls every time.

Fat tires rule? Well, they're a great option in any case!

-Ray

Ken Robb
12-12-2005, 10:12 AM
I have the Paul touring cantis on my lovely Hampsten (good job Steve) and with the campy brifters w/brake release it is very easy to release the straddle cable to install fat tires. It might be more trouble with Shimano brifters which lack the brake release on the levers.

Peter
12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
I run Shimano 105 long reachers with 26mm tires and fenders. I run my brakes loose, so I don't even have to open the quick release to remove the wheel. A 26mm tire with a fender is about the limit unless the builder sets the brakes clearance at their limit, then I'd guess it's a 28mm limit.

For my next commuter I'd like to try cantilever brakes. I've had them on ATBs so I'm no stranger to them, and I doubt I'd ever use a tire larger than a 26mm, but I thought I'd try them just for the novelty. They'll weigh less than calipers and allow for a much greater selection in tire width anyway.

The other problem with caliper brakes is that when you mount fenders under neath the front caliper, applying the brake moves the fender off center momentarily. I have to mount my fender slightly off center so that when I apply the front brake it won't rub on the tire. Cantis would alleviate that annoyance, which is merely cosmetic.

Vancouverdave
12-13-2005, 10:38 AM
One problem that some long reach dual pivot calipers will have is the "scissoring" of the arms which squeezes fender room. Tektro 521 long calipers are especially bad at this, although I haven't set up a pair of the newest ones yet. This is a functional factor that favors cantilevers or centerpulls. Good tip for us cheapskates--many $25 garage sale bikes have perfectly good Mafac Racer or Competition brakes on them!

FierteTi52
12-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the information. My goals are to run larger tires. Have the ability to remove the front wheel with out a hassle for transporting the bike on a roof rack.
I use Shimano so no quick release at the lever end. No Fenders, no mud riding etc. I like the clean look of calipers. Sounds to me like the long reach calipers are worth a look.
Jeff

Ken Robb
12-13-2005, 04:47 PM
I can get inflated Ruffy-Tuffy past my Ultegra Standard reach d-pivot brakes. Most bikes nowadays come with short-reach calipers so I think when you say "long reach" you mean standard reach--right? :)

FierteTi52
12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, standard reach.
Jeff