PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Ride Report in Kirk Country

MRB
06-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Although I have never been to Switzerland, I imagine it to be grander but yet similar to the riding near where I live. I'm not trying to one-up velotel, as that would be impossible.
Last weekend the riding was truly epic. The road was closed to motorized traffic. There was a 4 mile section of gravel road (being repairing). Plus my riding buddy served up a great margarita in the parking lot (just add pure Montana snow).
The only car in the parking lot was a snowplow. A very large snowplow.

dbrown
06-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I don't think there is any nicer riding than Going To the Sun Road! Thanks for the sights!

northbend
06-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Very nice MRB! What a great memory to tuck away.

Pete Mckeon
06-11-2013, 06:48 PM
and the weather was a 12 (looking at the picture) on a scale of 1 to 10 :)

THanks for sharing with us.

velotel
06-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Nice, can't remember how long it's been since I was there, around '65 I think. Forgotten how lovely that country is. Lot of snow showing on the mountains, more or less than usual. The way you're dressed, must have been chilly. Good country, thanks for the pics and memories

soulspinner
06-12-2013, 04:34 AM
beautiful, thanks.

David Kirk
06-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Very Nice.

Dave

BumbleBeeDave
06-12-2013, 08:45 AM
That looks like paradise.

BBD

eddief
06-12-2013, 08:50 AM
made by the hands of man :)

Very Nice.

Dave

David Kirk
06-12-2013, 09:12 AM
made by the hands of man :)

You mean the bikes? If so then no............the natural views are so much more beautiful than anything man can make.

Dave

eddief
06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
and I agree. Handmade bikes are a good thing to add to the mixture.

You mean the bikes? If so then no............the natural views are so much more beautiful than anything man can make.

Dave

bambam
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Where is this road? Montana is a big state.

Thanks for sharing.

MRB
06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Where is this road? Montana is a big state.
Thanks for sharing.
^^^The road is in NW Montana in Glacier National Park (Glacier Park).
It is 50 miles of spectacular scenery. It is called "Going to the Sun Road" (Sun Road). It gets its name from Going to the Sun Mountain. The road summits at Logan Pass, (which is where we took the photo of us having lunch in the parking lot.) The road is an engineering marvel built during the great depression (1930's). For the last few seasons the road has been undergoing reconstruction to make it safer. (more stable and easier to maintain) yet retaining its historic charm and character. The reconstruction causes some delays, but they are generally short. Logistically speaking it's amazing that they can rebuild such a steep and narrow road, and yet keep the road open. In the busy summer season, certain sections of the road is closed to cyclists from 11am to 4pm. But the days are long in Montana, so and there is generally enough time to ride it before 11am or after 4pm. The speed limit on the road is 25 mph on the steep sections, and 40 mph on the flat sections. There is a great shuttle/bus service to help minimize traffic. When we go to the park to hike, we use the shuttle system, which we find more enjoyable than driving your own car.
Thanks for asking and thanks for the compliments all.