PDA

View Full Version : Low-cost Carbon Rim Sources?

eBAUMANN
06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Looking for some cheaper (china) carbon rims, everything I am running into on ebay seems equally risky...anyone have any good sources for this kinda thing?

I know there was a group buy here not too long ago but can't seem to track down that thread.

Specifically looking for:
Clincher or Tubular
WIDE - 20-23mm
MID DEPTH - 38-50mm
UD finish
24/28h

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

AngryScientist
06-11-2013, 01:25 PM
i dont have an answer, but maybe pm "thegunner" - he was heading up the last group buy, but i dont know if that ever happened. i wanted in initially, but the cost turned out to be more than i thought.

as before, if the price was right for a wide carbon clincher, i could definitely be interested in a group buy...

Likes2ridefar
06-11-2013, 01:29 PM
i dont have an answer, but maybe pm "thegunner" - he was heading up the last group buy, but i dont know if that ever happened. i wanted in initially, but the cost turned out to be more than i thought.

as before, if the price was right for a wide carbon clincher, i could definitely be interested in a group buy...

i'll check into getting some rims but dont have high hopes as generally my requests are ignored as we are small fish:)

echelon_john
06-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Gigantex are reputable and available from a number of eBay sellers. Pricing is usually between $275 and $350 for a pair of rims, depending mostly on depth.

Something like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/60mm-tubular-carbon-fiber-bike-rims-one-pair-road-bicycle-parts-hot-sale-/330839560578?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d07931182

beeatnik
06-11-2013, 01:58 PM
baumann loves wheelz

mktng
06-11-2013, 02:12 PM
sheesh.
just buy my zipps. i'll give you a good deal hahah

eBAUMANN
06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
sheesh.
just buy my zipps. i'll give you a good deal hahah

haha already have me a set of those...looking to build up a set of 24/28h track wheels to some HF pauls ;)

T.J.
06-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Aww man, trackies? And I was gonna offer up my LW's:banana:

eBAUMANN
06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Aww man, trackies? And I was gonna offer up my LW's:banana:

yea, trackies, im in the red hook afterglow haha.

I barely ever ride track bikes anymore but the past 2 times I have (and only 2 times this year) were the red hook races, after which I am reminded of how damn fun it is to go fast on a track bike.

so now im schemin for a new long term project that includes building not only a set of wheels but also a new frame (my first, figure a track bike is a good place to start/learn).

seems like affordable quality (gigantex) is still kinda pricey so I may just end up buying something used.

thanks for the suggestions though, any/all input is much appreciated.

Likes2ridefar
06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Finally heard back from my friend in Taiwan. so i can get a full wheelset in a variety of flavors that is nicely priced...if we can get more than 5 on board the discount deepens. it's not exactly what you were asking for but they are high end, wide rim carbon, both clincher and tubular. clincher is 45mm deep and the tubular is 30 or 50mm deep.

dt swiss 240s hubs and bladed dt swiss spokes.

ultraman6970
06-20-2013, 09:02 AM
There is a guy who is located in NC (i believe) selling chinese carbon rims in ebay... search for carbon tubular rims and he will pop up... if you dont want to deal with international shipping and broken english emails, this guy could be a good option.

The next one from what I noticed it is one of those big stores at ebay, the guy is selling FSA or planet X (cant remember which ones, tubular rims kind'a for the right price as well... the items will pop up together with the other guy.

As you i want tubular rims but the problem is shipping and the possibility of a cracked spoke hole while building the wheel makes me think it over and over again.

For something like this maybe is better get a built set you know.

Good luck.

thegunner
06-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Finally heard back from my friend in Taiwan. so i can get a full wheelset in a variety of flavors that is nicely priced...if we can get more than 5 on board the discount deepens. it's not exactly what you were asking for but they are high end, wide rim carbon, both clincher and tubular. clincher is 45mm deep and the tubular is 30 or 50mm deep.

dt swiss 240s hubs and bladed dt swiss spokes.

the problem is getting people to commit. i went from 12 people interested (at ~120 per 38mm rim) to 4 the night i asked for payment. it is what it is.

eBAUMANN
06-20-2013, 02:55 PM
yea for me the issue ordering from asia is the potential return shipping cost if something were to be damaged in transit/defective/etc.

if someone wanted to put together a group order again from a trusted source, i would probably be interested in picking up at least one set of rims, just for the record.

LesMiner
06-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I am interested in carbon rim wheels but for disc brake hubs.

druptight
06-20-2013, 03:12 PM
yea, trackies, im in the red hook afterglow haha.

I barely ever ride track bikes anymore but the past 2 times I have (and only 2 times this year) were the red hook races, after which I am reminded of how damn fun it is to go fast on a track bike.

so now im schemin for a new long term project that includes building not only a set of wheels but also a new frame (my first, figure a track bike is a good place to start/learn).

seems like affordable quality (gigantex) is still kinda pricey so I may just end up buying something used.

thanks for the suggestions though, any/all input is much appreciated.

I just finished my 2nd frame and am local so if you need any assistance/bounce any ideas let me know. I do think they say track dropouts are actually tougher to keep in phase for your first build than vertical drops - but I've never tried them personally.

wasfast
06-20-2013, 03:13 PM
bikehubstore.com has a decent rep. He sells Gigantex which gives you lowest risk but not the lowest price.

druptight
06-20-2013, 03:14 PM
yea for me the issue ordering from asia is the potential return shipping cost if something were to be damaged in transit/defective/etc.

if someone wanted to put together a group order again from a trusted source, i would probably be interested in picking up at least one set of rims, just for the record.

Also - you can get the gigantex ones from bikehubstore:

http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/124.htm

Likes2ridefar
06-24-2013, 05:14 AM
I've photos and a data sheet, in case anyone is interested. 45mm clincher and 50mm tubular. They are very nice looking wheels.

mcteague
06-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Carbon + low cost + rim = :eek:

Tim

Bruce K
06-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Boyd

Williams

Planet-X

Three lower cost carbon wheels with decent reputations

BK

Likes2ridefar
06-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Tim

fortunately the ones I have access to do not compromise anything, and are from the same source that many forum members here use for their cockpit or even the frame if they own a modern high end carbon frameset that was made in China.

MattyMo
06-26-2013, 02:21 AM
i might be interested in buyin a pair if there is a group buy, i have been looking at them almost daily on ebay, but the pre made ones that have novatec hubs...

might be willing to do rims and build up my own... but i think id want to go something deep 80mm maybe

ultraman6970
06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
If you guys are thinking in a group buy IMO is better just go for complete wheels, you really dont want to crack or pop a nipple hole while building the wheels.

Likes2ridefar
06-26-2013, 09:47 AM
the ones I can get have a warranty and service center in the states.

I think they are every bit as good as zipp 404 or similar that have the nice and wide rim.

dt swiss hubs and spokes.

crossjunkee
06-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Tim

Ha, no kidding!

Oh the other hand, I would trust this guy, he claims $699 for entry carbon clinchers.

http://www.psimet.com/Wheels/carbon-wheels.html

fiataccompli
06-26-2013, 09:55 AM
I am interested in carbon rim wheels but for disc brake hubs.

maybe not quite what you're thinking, but that comment reminded me that a cycling buddy of mine has started a business building these (market is 29er, but...). I have a disc brake road bike I'd love to test some of his wheels on!

http://noxcomposites.com/

(no actual affiliation other than I know the owners & they're straight up good folks)

eBAUMANN
06-26-2013, 09:56 AM
the ones I can get have a warranty and service center in the states.

this is huge, if they sell rims only I would be very interested in hearing more and could possibly bring in a bunch of other people, as I have a whole team of folks in need of go-fast stuff ;)

Likes2ridefar
06-26-2013, 09:57 AM
this is huge, if they sell rims only I would be very interested in hearing more and could possibly bring in a bunch of other people, as I have a whole team of folks in need of go-fast stuff ;)

I can probably get rims only as well, and will see what the pricing is. They are available in 45mm clincher and 50mm tubular. I will PM you.

shovelhd
06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Oh the other hand, I would trust this guy, he claims $699 for entry carbon clinchers.

http://www.psimet.com/Wheels/carbon-wheels.html

Pre-Di2 photo. Cross build, CX-Ray spokes. A little more than entry. Great build. Very pleased. They are my training and pit wheels.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l453/shovelfl/bike/IMG_1384-1.jpg

d14vd_h
06-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Eric hit me up I have a few sources from 5th Floor
Including the BLB Notorious that I can do you a good deal on

crossjunkee
06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l453/shovelfl/bike/IMG_1384-1.jpg

Nice looking bike! What kind of post, 3T? The setback looks like it's more than 25mm.

TheWolfsMouth
06-26-2013, 11:42 PM
I second Planet X. Good quality stuff made in the same factory as other. (As other all are)

WickedWheels
06-27-2013, 12:08 AM
I have to ask... why would you want to do this?!

A carbon braking surface is not something to mess around with. Same with a structural carbon component on something that goes through as many different types of forces as a rim does.

If you want something inexpensive then just get a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL's. They are half-way decent in the weight department, okay as far as aero and will actually stop well. Plus, they are from a reputable manufacturer, have a solid warranty (and an optional extended warranty for the racers or the big guys) and are reasonable in the price department at ~$1200 MSRP.

If you want something lighter and better... then why go half-assed. Just get a set of Enve or Zipp (plus they're American-made).

I'm not saying that Asia can't make a decent carbon rim. I'm just saying that on the "budget" end of things there's such a small advantage over something that's proven and solid (like Mavic, for example) that it wouldn't be worth the risk... at least not to me.

shovelhd
06-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Nice looking bike! What kind of post, 3T? The setback looks like it's more than 25mm.

Thanks. 3T Dorico Team.

shovelhd
06-27-2013, 06:38 AM
I have to ask... why would you want to do this?!

A carbon braking surface is not something to mess around with. Same with a structural carbon component on something that goes through as many different types of forces as a rim does.

If you want something inexpensive then just get a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL's. They are half-way decent in the weight department, okay as far as aero and will actually stop well. Plus, they are from a reputable manufacturer, have a solid warranty (and an optional extended warranty for the racers or the big guys) and are reasonable in the price department at ~$1200 MSRP.

If you want something lighter and better... then why go half-assed. Just get a set of Enve or Zipp (plus they're American-made).

I'm not saying that Asia can't make a decent carbon rim. I'm just saying that on the "budget" end of things there's such a small advantage over something that's proven and solid (like Mavic, for example) that it wouldn't be worth the risk... at least not to me.

I think you make a good point. There is generic Chinese carbon, and then there is well established, "name brand" Taiwanese carbon. Gigantex is the latter. I trust my Gigantex rims, but not just because of the rim, but because of the way they were built and the components around them. Even a Zipp or Enve/Edge rim can be built unsafely. A wheel is more than the sum of its parts.

My Zipps are about a pound lighter than my Psimets. The Zipp rim shape is toroidal and the Psimet are V shape flat sided. The Zipp are 58mm and the Psimet 50mm. The Zipps are easier to handle. The Psimets get blown around a good bit. The Zipps are tubular so you can't fairly compare the ride. The Psimets are a LOT stiffer, but they're also a cross build.

MattyMo
06-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Talk to my lbs and they recommended Planet X for cheaper carbon sources.

Maybe keep a lookout on eBay.

d14vd_h
06-27-2013, 03:18 PM
I saw a lot of Planet X stuff on the track in the UK,
And while the cost/quality it comes out well it is essentially well branded chinese carbone. the track bike for example doesnt have the best BB height etc.
But then the argument can be made for the branding of all carbon components all the way to the biggest names

eBAUMANN
06-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Talk to my lbs and they recommended Planet X for cheaper carbon sources.

Maybe keep a lookout on eBay.

planet x stuff is certainly priced right and the quality looks to be there...but those decals...YIKES, and they are under the clear as well, too bad.