PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for carbon-something bike for an older gent (Bay Area, CA)

54ny77
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Something big box built, easy to digest, not too expensive or complicated. Ultegra level componentry is perfectly fine. Very casual weekend warrior (in his 70's), obviously not going to sport a 10cm drop. Compact gearing, etc.

He's about 5'8"/5'9", rides a 54cm, wants something new in carbon (don't ask why, he just wants to try it and that's just fine). If you live in Bay Area, CA (Peninsula area) and know of something nice new or used in a 53-54-ish, lemme know. Even if at a bike shop, on sale or something.

Thanks.

pdmtong
06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Have him stop by Menlo Velo.

http://menlovelobicycles.com/

Rainer (the owner) has fit a lot of 60-70yo guys I know (stems, upright, etc.) as well as modified the gearing to suit (XTR RD with 32T rear, etc.)

These older guys still have enduro engines...they ride their birthday in distance and elevation every year (this year was 72/7200) but their bikes are all set up for comfort and they are no longer ripping on flats. just out riding and loving it.

This is a shop that would shoot straight for your friend - and he may well have some older stock that would meet your friends needs and price point.

eddief
06-11-2013, 01:27 PM
sh*t I am that demographic. No brainer for me. Any Spec Roubaix will do the trick. They are all over the place including CL. Said it before and it is still true for me. After 30 bikes, it still is my fave or very close to the top.

54ny77
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
pdm i'll send him there, thanks.

are they a trek shop? he mentioned he walked into one in the area (near burlingame/hillsborough) and they were having a sale on a madone/domane/whatever.

he doesn't need to spend that kind of scratch, aren't they like $5k? half that would be more than fine.

Have him stop by Menlo Velo.

http://menlovelobicycles.com/

Rainer (the owner) has fit a lot of 60-70yo guys I know (stems, upright, etc.) as well as modified the gearing to suit (XTR RD with 32T rear, etc.)

These older guys still have enduro engines...they ride their birthday in distance and elevation every year (this year was 72/7200) but their bikes are all set up for comfort and they are no longer ripping on flats. just out riding and loving it.

This is a shop that would shoot straight for your friend - and he may well have some older stock that would meet your friends needs and price point.

pdmtong
06-11-2013, 04:45 PM
pdm i'll send him there, thanks.

are they a trek shop? he mentioned he walked into one in the area (near burlingame/hillsborough) and they were having a sale on a madone/domane/whatever.

he doesn't need to spend that kind of scratch, aren't they like $5k? half that would be more than fine.

specialized shop.

you cant say carbon ultegra and expect to do it for $2k. unless the bike is NOS. then, maybe

105 10sp works pretty great too.

the real deals will be on 10sp ultegra as folks try to clear the floor in anticipation of 6800 11sp.

find the machine that works for his needs then work the price point.

pdmtong
06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
sh*t I am that demographic. No brainer for me. Any Spec Roubaix will do the trick. They are all over the place including CL. Said it before and it is still true for me. After 30 bikes, it still is my fave or very close to the top.

there is a mechanical argument for the domane being better at taking out road buzz than the roubaix, but roads here are pretty good and I think you can just run tires a bit softer, save money with a roubaix, and be done.

Pete Mckeon
06-11-2013, 06:36 PM
seat to bar drop and TT effective length. Then pick the brand and price point that puts a :) on you. Happy riding. PETE

charliedid
06-11-2013, 08:48 PM
http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Road/Z-Series/Z3.aspx

Very nice riding bike. $3000

enr1co
06-12-2013, 09:36 AM
How about something on line for ~$1999

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&OPTION=LOAD_PRODUCT_BY_ID&PRODUCT.ID=10841

54ny77
06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
thanks for the info all.

he needs an lbs to do the a to z, no online stuff.

by the way he has a 54cm '01 lemond zurich that's pristine, if someone's interested in it, pm me.

UberBike
06-13-2013, 11:20 PM
the Fuji Gran Fondo and the Kestrel RT1000 have a very comfortable riding position and very competitive pricing.

downtube
06-13-2013, 11:53 PM
I agree, LBS is the way to go. Shop local, spend local, help support the community. These shop owners are the same people that will buy or use what ever you are selling or services you provide. Plenty of great local shops that will bend over backwards to provide excellent service and knowledge.
chuck

Ralph
06-14-2013, 06:03 AM
I wouldn't assume his needs are a lot different than a younger guy. They might be, but wouldn't assume that. He might need a little more gear....maybe doesn't care to pedal past 30 or so. I'm 72, and ride with a 7 CM seat to bar drop. About the same as always. And since I can ride all I want....and do.....I think I am a better rider than when in my 40's and 50's when I worked. Got in 150 miles or so each week lately. And have been dropped by guys older than me.

Only issue is I injure easier.....so don't want to fall. Don't like riding in large groups. Am more sensitive to every thing being set up right. Can't just sit on any kind of seat etc. Bones and joints deteriorate, etc. Fat padding goes away with age here and there. LBS probably best if he needs help getting the bike set up. As long as the fit person understands that sometimes the optimal riding position is not always ideal for someone with some degenerative issues. Some of this centers around your idea of what an "older gent" is. LOL

oldpotatoe
06-14-2013, 08:03 AM
I agree, LBS is the way to go. Shop local, spend local, help support the community. These shop owners are the same people that will buy or use what ever you are selling or services you provide. Plenty of great local shops that will bend over backwards to provide excellent service and knowledge.
chuck

what are ya some sort of bike commie????

Don't ya think all these posted discount codes, super MO sales, online 'get it now' stuff ain't helping the local economy??

Who cares if it comes from the UK..they're our buddies in this war on terror, ain't they??

C'mon, I gotta make the payment on my BMW..can't spend too much on bike stuff.......

I guess it isn't.

OK, I'll calm down now-thanks for the great advice Chuck

-Local bike shop owner

54ny77
06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
thanks all, the guys at summit bikes are taking care of him. is that a good shop? i think i bought a mtb from there years ago when i lived nearby, can't remember.

ralph my buddy gets out probably 3-4x a month for 20-30 mile rides. when i lived up there i'd join him and a few others (we had a morning gang, i was younger by a good 15-20 years than most). good times, and we sure weren't breaking land speed records. but we solved a great many world problems during those rides. :)

I wouldn't assume his needs are a lot different than a younger guy. They might be, but wouldn't assume that. He might need a little more gear....maybe doesn't care to pedal past 30 or so. I'm 72, and ride with a 7 CM seat to bar drop. About the same as always. And since I can ride all I want....and do.....I think I am a better rider than when in my 40's and 50's when I worked. Got in 150 miles or so each week lately. And have been dropped by guys older than me.

Only issue is I injure easier.....so don't want to fall. Don't like riding in large groups. Am more sensitive to every thing being set up right. Can't just sit on any kind of seat etc. Bones and joints deteriorate, etc. Fat padding goes away with age here and there. LBS probably best if he needs help getting the bike set up. As long as the fit person understands that sometimes the optimal riding position is not always ideal for someone with some degenerative issues. Some of this centers around your idea of what an "older gent" is. LOL

Ralph
06-14-2013, 02:24 PM
And.....I appreciate the phrase "older gent". Good to hear he's getting fixed up.

54ny77
06-14-2013, 04:29 PM
ralph most of those guys were in early 50's when we first started riding together. now most in 70's. time flies. :)

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-15-2013, 01:15 PM
"just out riding and loving it."

That, my fellow brethren, is what it is all about.

54ny77
06-18-2013, 04:57 PM
update: my pal got hooked up with a madone 5.9 with electronic shifting. he loves it, and that's all that matters. local bike shop helped him out and got him set up right.

rnhood
06-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Good deal. Madone, Roubaix, etc are all great bikes. Its always good when a dealer is involved as this mitigates to a great extent any fit issues and/or other potential disconnects. Shops give good advice for bike selections, and things thereafter too.

pdmtong
06-18-2013, 10:51 PM

looks like he did spend that $5k after all. good. electronic is awesome, and at that age why not? heck, I want it too.