PDA

View Full Version : Downside of Bib Shorts

pbarry
06-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I have a few pair of barely ridden Pearl Izumi bibs, but usually eschew them for lesser quality almost-worn-out shorts because of two reasons: They're hotter in the summer and are a pain to get out of when it's time to go... Am I missing something? Why are they better than shorts?

FlashUNC
06-10-2013, 07:42 PM
No chafing with the waistband that doesn't exist. The bib straps help keep everything in place without shifting around. Plumber's butt is impossible.

The list could go on and on...

With worn-out shorts, are you sure you're not giving your riding buddies a free show when you're at the front of the paceline?

chuckroast
06-10-2013, 07:42 PM
I can't speak for anyone else but they fit this particular fat guy better. Also, when I used to wear short, I always felt like I was about to show some butt crack.

wallymann
06-10-2013, 07:46 PM
while clearly less than convenient to go #2, going #1 is barely a hiccup -- modern materials are stretchy enough so you can whip it out w/o missing a beat. i guess its more of a problem de-la chica, where it's the same process for #1 and #2.

if you get nicer bibs with the braces made of well vented coolmax there is no downside from a heat-retention perspective.

maunahaole
06-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Another pee/poop related thread?

pbarry
06-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Ok, goods points above, thanks. I think of fit cyclists having booties, so the plumbers crack issue is impossible. ;) Have a collection of Aussie/Canari/Castelli shorts that will need replacement soon. :eek:

Bkat
06-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Agree with all the aforementioned points in favor of bibs. As for being warm in summer, I had one pair (since retired) that were lacking mesh panels and my back would get hot on balmy days. But all my others are just fine in the heat and less constricting than shorts.

pbarry
06-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Another p**/p**p related thread?

Keep the dialogue elevated, please. Just asking a serious question here.

cat6
06-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Chaz and his allies connect the world's troubles to a cult leader called Zio, "The Black Magician," whose aims appear to be total annihilation, not only of Motavia, but of the whole Algol solar system. The heroes therefore decide to stop Zio in order to restore the computer systems maintaining Motavia. However, it soon becomes clear that Zio is merely the vanguard to a much larger, more dangerous enemy, long buried in the past. The secrets of the Algol star system are revealed as Chaz and company progress through the story, discovering both the nature of the threat to their worlds as well as the safeguards placed in a time long forgotten.

MattTuck
06-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Professionals wear bibs. The design obviously is the best for their needs. They also spend 5+ hours a day in the saddle. What works for them may not work for you.

Wear what's comfortable and works.

For short trainer workouts in the winter, I have some cheap performance shorts. Easy to wear them with a t-shirt or shirtless. Getting totally kitted up with bibs for a trainer workout doesn't work for me.

tch
06-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I had a double exposure last weekend. An acquaintance who is fit and skinny and tall was showing belly when he got off the bike b/c his jersey was too short. Then later at a convenience store I saw a guy with the opposite build showing a big swath of beer gut cuz the jersey and the front of the shorts didn't match up.

Bibs are more comfortable and assure coverage front and rear.

pbarry
06-10-2013, 08:05 PM
bibs are PRO and shorts are for FREDS and tri geeks.

rapha only makes bibs (unless you're a woman). that's all you need to know, bro.

Awesome.

charliedid
06-10-2013, 08:17 PM
I have a few pair of barely ridden Pearl Izumi bibs, but usually eschew them for lesser quality almost-worn-out shorts because of two reasons: They're hotter in the summer and are a pain to get out of when it's time to go... Am I missing something? Why are they better than shorts?

"and are a pain to get out of when it's time to go..."

Full zip jersey takes care of that.

Lewis Moon
06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I've actually come to like shorts better than bibs. Too much extra material in bibs for the hot SW. ATMO

pbarry
06-10-2013, 08:43 PM
I've actually come to like shorts better than bibs. Too much extra material in bibs for the hot SW. ATMO

It's all that extra fabric, and feeling like I'm wearing a backpack/Camelback or something over my shoulders that annoys me. Keep your perspectives coming. I appreciate the mileage here.

rugbysecondrow
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Con: Weird sun tan.

Pro: I like to I wear mine shirtless because I find chest hair intimidates would be nere-do-wells.

christian
06-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Get a Castelli Sanremo. Better than either.

rnhood
06-10-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't like straps in the warmer months either. In fact I don't like them anytime. But if bibs were more comfortable then I would still wear them. But they are not any less comfortable than bibs. And I have never had any issues with rolling at the waistband.

Louis
06-10-2013, 09:26 PM
However you look at it, bibs are a bigger hassle.

For me, the biggest issue it putting my HR monitor strap on. I usually wait until the last minute, when I'm in the driveway ready to leave. However, because the bib makes that tough to do if the straps are on, that means I have to wait until the last minute to put my jersey on. Which means I have to wait to put my helmet on. (or put them on, then remove them) Full-zip jerseys make that bit easier. All in all, though, bibs are a pita.

Having said that, in collection of "good" shorts I probably have more bibs than non-bibs.

Jason E
06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
However you look at it, bibs are a bigger hassle.

For me, the biggest issue it putting my HR monitor strap on. I usually wait until the last minute, when I'm in the driveway ready to leave. However, because the bib makes that tough to do if the straps are on, that means I have to wait until the last minute to put my jersey on. Which means I have to wait to put my helmet on. (or put them on, then remove them) Full-zip jerseys make that bit easier. All in all, though, bibs are a pita.

Having said that, in collection of "good" shorts I probably have more bibs than non-bibs.

Why don't you just put your HR on first? Mine's the first thing I put on and the last thing I take off. I wash it by hand and hang it in the bathroom.

To the OP, Camelback? Are you wearing a size too small? I have Primal (team issue), Assos, and Pearl. I heart me some bibs. Mixed material is key.

Louis
06-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Why don't you just put your HR on first? Mine's the first thing I put on and the last thing I take off.

'cause I'm cheap and want to extend the life if the battery as much as possible. (I's a Polar with a non-replaceable battery) I figure the 5 minutes I save every ride will add up over the years. (yes, it's been so long that Ive had that thing, I can't remember how long ago it was since I bought it)

gavingould
06-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Bibs. Everything stays where it needs to. Heart rate strap first, then bibs, then full zip jersey, then helmet.

If shorts are what you prefer, knock yourself out.

SlackMan
06-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I've been hanging out on the forums recently and just started wearing bibs based on the positive feedback about them, so I don't want to hear any negatives! :) I can see where they might be hotter to wear, but I do agree with the pros and with the others who claim they are more comfortable. I also agree that it stinks when you have to pee, but I can live with that for the additional comfort over the other 99% of the time when I'm not peeing! :rolleyes:

Shane

kohlboto
06-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Ride earlier?
Reason #1 solved...

Jason E
06-10-2013, 10:49 PM
'cause I'm cheap and want to extend the life if the battery as much as possible. (I's a Polar with a non-replaceable battery) I figure the 5 minutes I save every ride will add up over the years. (yes, it's been so long that Ive had that thing, I can't remember how long ago it was since I bought it)

I think you are nuts. :)

I immediately want to say something like, "well what about the time you waste futzing with it around your clothes? Time has a value, and the same years you are extending its life..."

Instead, I will enable... Why not put the HR strap on first and then just put some barrier between it and your skin. I would think you could make a custom HR Strap Battery Saving tool (patent Pending) by slicing an old milk container and having the thick cardboard block the signal. Or two dominos. I can think of eighty things that are easier to pull out later once you are swiftly dressed in your driveway.

Your impressive in your obsession/compulsion.

FlashUNC
06-10-2013, 10:49 PM
I seem to remember an Astana rider -- Zubeldia maybe? -- who preferred shorts to bibs. And Assos makes a nice pair of shorts from what I hear.

But bibs are infinitely better.

ofcounsel
06-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Like an earlier poster said, if you've got a bit a gut, like me, bibs keep the shorts in place.

christian
06-10-2013, 10:54 PM

What this guy said b

Louis
06-10-2013, 10:56 PM
What this guy said b

But he's a idiot !

Louis
06-10-2013, 11:02 PM
I would think you could make a custom HR Strap Battery Saving tool (patent Pending) by slicing an old milk container and having the thick cardboard block the signal. Or two dominos.

Wow - why didn't I think of that? ;) (see below)

If I thought bibs were even the least bit more comfortable that non-bibs, then I'd be 100% for them, but as far as I can tell, for the same chamois, there's zero difference between them comfort-wise, consequently little benefit. The only reason I have them is that some (e.g. the shorts we go for the Paceline a while back) come only in bibs, so I go with that. Given the choice, I go with non-bib shorts.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxQBaZpZ5H2GMWCxeMGUM6CdOgets1z QmMRJBHOiDpdYuXKlSykg

ckamp
06-10-2013, 11:28 PM
I just started wearing bib's for the first time (influence from the forum...;)).
My comments:

Bibs:
1. If you are tall you need to size up in the length, in my case I need a large even though I am a medium in the waist.
2. Bathroom
3. May be hot
4. Comfort in the waist

Shorts:
1. No other dependent variables on fit
2. Less material
3. Tighter in the waist
4. Cheaper usually

There should be no ass crack, those guys are trying to fit a size they are not!

christian
06-11-2013, 06:18 AM
De gustibus non disputandum est and all that, but this is just crazy talk. Next you'll be promoting cycling in a seersucker shirt, jorts, and gardening clogs which shall not be named. No sir, this is a road I care not to walk down.

But seriously, all you short adherents ought to try the Sanremo. All the benefits of bibs, plus more, with none of the strap downsides. Also, excellent for peeing. Like #1 peeing article of cycling clothing. RKP didn't mention that in their review, but true!

pbarry
06-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Christian, I may give this a try. The upsides seem really good.
Cheers

pbarry
06-11-2013, 06:29 AM
I just started wearing bib's for the first time (influence from the forum...;)).
My comments:

Bibs:
1. If you are tall you need to size up in the length, in my case I need a large even though I am a medium in the waist.
2. Bathroom
3. May be hot
4. Comfort in the waist

Shorts:
1. No other dependent variables on fit
2. Less material
3. Tighter in the waist
4. Cheaper usually

There should be no ass crack, those guys are trying to fit a size they are not!

Excellent primer. Your last sentence, too funny. :hello:

coreywood
06-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Even if you don't have a gut, but your hips are almost the same width(or diameter depending how you measure the bod) as your waist, those shorts are slowly making their way down in a losing fight with gravity.

coreywood
06-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Copy

FlashUNC
06-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Even if you don't have a gut, but your hips are almost the same width(or diameter depending how you measure the bod) as your waist, those shorts are slowly making their way down in a losing fight with gravity.

Between that and decent belly breathing, even the most aggressive waistband will slide. And if it doesn't, I shudder to think what that kind of waistband chafing would cause to stay in place.

BCS
06-11-2013, 09:13 AM

How do you size the Sanremo if I need a large jersey and medium shorts??

christian
06-11-2013, 09:19 AM
By the shorts size, more likely than not.

BTW, you wear a larger jersey than shorts? Magical reverse cyclist!

I'm 6'0", 165 lbs, and comfortably fit in the L Sanremo.

n_maher
06-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Funny, I could never get non-bibs to feel like they fit well. I have large quads (former high/long jumper) and whatever fit my legs didn't fit my waist. So I find that proper fitting bibs feel better than ill fitting shorts. And I like not having to worry about flashing crack since I often ride in mixed company. :eek:

Long story short - find what fits you, whether bibs or regular shorts and you're done.

crownjewelwl
06-11-2013, 09:35 AM
wear bibs

avalonracing
06-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Bibs are good for, um, bigger guys.
They are also good for pros who have no body shape (hell, the bib straps take their chest measurement from 38" to 38.25" so they like that)

Shorts are convenient, cooler and if you are fit and buy good shorts don't dig into your waist.

Full disclosure, I like shorts because I've been forever scarred by going into porta-johns (with long lines) at bike races on 100ºF days and having to take care of business while working around a skinsuit or bibs. What a nightmare.

Lewis Moon
06-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Ride earlier?
Reason #1 solved...

Completely re-arrange your schedule to accomodate a piece of clothing.
Reason #1 solved....

earlfoss
06-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Does anyone here have a SanRemo Speedsuit?

Impressions?

I've been considering buying one if found on the cheaper side.

christian
06-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Does anyone here have a SanRemo Speedsuit?Is this some type of elaborate joke?

I have 4 of them. Two Castelli-branded ones and two team issue. What do you want to know.

Lewis Moon
06-11-2013, 10:02 AM
There are a lot of possible design upsides to bibs, but on my tall, skinny frame, the pros don't outweigh the cons.
When I was younger, we used to wear suspenders with our shorts. Seems like that would be the best of both worlds. I don't see that anymore.

cfox
06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
bibs are PRO and shorts are for FREDS and tri geeks.

rapha only makes bibs (unless you're a woman). that's all you need to know, bro.

snark? yes

correct? also yes

shorts blow. keep your muffin top to yourself.

anyone tried that sanremo speedsuit? I heard they're popular in Sweden

avalonracing
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
shorts blow. keep your muffin top to yourself.

I love how you guys with the soft midsections blame the shorts.

christian
06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I love how you guys with the soft midsections blame the shorts.I know cfox. Dude is Euro-pro skinny. Yet another reason to hate him... :)

Lewis Moon
06-11-2013, 11:44 AM
I love how you guys with the soft midsections blame the shorts.

You don't have to be good, you just have to look good.

cfox
06-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I know cfox. Dude is Euro-pro skinny. Yet another reason to hate him... :)

ha! thank you brother. I'm mostly soft in the head + aerobic engine < model airplane.

to the OP; bakery body image humor aside, I just don't enjoy the waistband of shorts and I don't notice the straps of nice fitting bibs.

Ardan MacNessa
06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-a_aF7zYvmhs/TkVGeINi1xI/AAAAAAAAVrs/zlEnPLID5yo/s1600/world-naked-bike-ride-photos-new-york-city-time-out-new-york_1245369795253.png
The Do It All Short

Bike Snob Friday Fail Search for Meaning (http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2011/08/bsnyc-friday-failed-search-for-meaning.html)

Lewis Moon
06-11-2013, 12:32 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-a_aF7zYvmhs/TkVGeINi1xI/AAAAAAAAVrs/zlEnPLID5yo/s1600/world-naked-bike-ride-photos-new-york-city-time-out-new-york_1245369795253.png
The Do It All Short

Bike Snob Friday Fail Search for Meaning (http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2011/08/bsnyc-friday-failed-search-for-meaning.html)

Look, it's the Pillsberry Doughboy. Please wear a Chador when riding.

:rolleyes:

cat6
06-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Chaz and his allies connect the world's troubles to a cult leader called Zio, "The Black Magician," whose aims appear to be total annihilation, not only of Motavia, but of the whole Algol solar system. The heroes therefore decide to stop Zio in order to restore the computer systems maintaining Motavia. However, it soon becomes clear that Zio is merely the vanguard to a much larger, more dangerous enemy, long buried in the past. The secrets of the Algol star system are revealed as Chaz and company progress through the story, discovering both the nature of the threat to their worlds as well as the safeguards placed in a time long forgotten.

thwart
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697862489&stc=1&d=1370961314
A Coke through the nose moment... fortunately missed the laptop.

I like shorts and have several that fit fine without mid-ride adjustment needed.

Then again, bibs are good, too.

But having been in enough PortaPotties before/during/after rides, I'll wear shorts most of the time. I don't like having to bend forward to take a whiz. Especially there.

gdw
06-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Nothing against bibs but I've done lots of multiday rides with 12+ hour in the saddle while wearing shorts without chaffing or other problems. Methinks you guys need to toughen up.

Ardan MacNessa
06-11-2013, 01:06 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/5/17/129185867237633005.gif

Lewis Moon
06-11-2013, 01:19 PM
this. i don't think most people do. those that do notice are probably wearing the wrong size and/or the type of people that don't wear sunglasses because they "make their face feel heavy".

Not this. Those that think this way probably fit in off the rack clothing, can afford really expensive semi/custom stuff or can trade off a lot of different bibs until they find ones that work.

At 6'5" with a long body and only weiging in at 175, large shorts fit me just fine, but every pair of bibs I've tried on makes me feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame or I need to hear a hoola hoop in the waist.

Lewis Moon
06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/5/17/129185867237633005.gif

Indeed. Wear what you like.

cat6
06-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Ardan MacNessa
06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Indeed. Wear what you like.
I didn't start riding in bibs until mid-90's. Prior to bibs it was Lycra shorts but I had no issues what-so-ever keeping them up for long, long rides and Cat 2 riding riding in europe.

Prior to Lycra is another story completely.:eek:

Rain, drizzle and wool shorts with cotton waist band draw strings were unfortunately a fate worse than death. We even rode without socks in the rain due to sogginess. You felt like a wet burrito, squish, squish, squish. Talk about rooster rump.

I still to this day ride with my old pair of Sidi shoes from 1997, though. White socks. Season 2013 -and they're still perfect (http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u524/faceplant2013/HelmetHair_zpsf1ba8423.jpg). I wear both bibs and regular shorts but I've been known to wear cycling jerseys 15 plus years old too.

Keith A
06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Riding in Florida during the summer is almost always hot and humid. I figured bibs would just make things worse and so I didn't even try bibs for a long time. Once I finally broke down and bought some bibs, I haven't bought a pair of shorts since. They really are more comfortable -- even for us skinnier guys, and with the mesh backs, the extra material has never been a heat issue.

You do end up with a weird looking tan line on your back and I'm sure people at the beach wonder what's wrong with me :rolleyes:

bluesea
06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
The downside to bibs is they are a no-brainer.

charliedid
06-11-2013, 08:52 PM
currently i'm 6'4 180, L bibs work for me, but i'm mostly legs. bib knickers barely cover my knees. i'm not pro bib, i'm pro whatever works for each person in each given situation. i did a tour in jan in which i wore shorts on longer riding days, the taint comfort was worth the deep elastic lines imprinted around my waist. that said, with proper fitting bibs and a race cut jersey, i feel naked and i like being naked.

i saw a guy on a MTB absolutely shredding some single track a few weeks ago, and he was wearing a castelli skort.

whatever works.

Yes!

pbarry
06-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Y'all are great folks, and freakin funny! :banana: So, will ask for the Castelli track suit at Christmas; try again with the not-the-latest PI bibs during morning rides, (and maybe add a new improved pair), and stick to shorts in the hot afternoons.

The current choices in cycling apparel amaze me, as I came of age when wool was king, and there were maybe 3 decent manufacturer's wares available locally. I don't miss hand washing my shorts after every ride, hanging them to dry, then lanolining the chamois...

Grazie mille!

FlashUNC
06-12-2013, 08:13 AM
I don't miss hand washing my shorts after every ride, hanging them to dry, then lanolining the chamois...

Please tell us you're still at least doing part 1 and 2.