PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Pedal Suggestions for Road Use: Shimano or Crank Brothers

pjmsj21
06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I have been using Speedplay Frogs for a number of years and would like to find a pedal to use that still has plenty of float for my old knees but feels more connected/locked in. In reading past posts on this it seems that Shimano and Crank Brothers are the most used for this use.

Is there any particular reason that I should select one over the other for those riders that have lived with both systems?

TIA

Likes2ridefar
06-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Personally I think the xtr pedal is the best. Much better than the egg beater I used for years before finally getting xt and then xtr.

Better cleats that last much longer. Don't damage your shoes. Much more secure feeling. Bearings are better quality. Adjustable tension.

jtakeda
06-10-2013, 06:50 PM
I use crank brothers for road but would recommend shimano.

Crank Bros are a little too easy to clip out and have too much float for the most part.

I use them because for my purposes they work very well but would not recommend them for pure road use.

pjmsj21
06-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Any particular model of Shimano?

UOTE=jtakeda;1365388]I use crank brothers for road but would recommend shimano.

Crank Bros are a little too easy to clip out and have too much float for the most part.

I use them because for my purposes they work very well but would not recommend them for pure road use.[/QUOTE]

gavingould
06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
I use Crank Bros for CX and gravel races. Not eggbeaters though, I prefer Candys for the little platform, extra stability.

rrudoff
06-11-2013, 01:35 AM
How about Time ATACs, I have had four pair on my Road, CX, and MTBs for the past 8 years or so with no problems, lot of float and mud not an issue. Just got some Sidi Drako, for use on road you can still walk but Carbon sole is super stiff, as good as any road show.

markie
06-11-2013, 06:05 AM
All the mountain bike pedals mentioned are pretty decent. I have friends that kill crank bros pedals really quickly, but for others they last for years.

I have six bikes all with shimano pedals. Some are the most expensive, xtr. Others are the cheapest, do not have a number. When on the bike I cannot tell which pedal is which.

Despite 10 plus years of cycling, including a lot of riding fixed off road with almost constant pedal strikes to the ground I have never broken a shimano pedal. I have worn a bunch out though :)

572cv
06-11-2013, 06:53 AM
I had some knee issues when using the crank bros pedals for a few years. I love the aesthetics of the eggbeaters, but have ended up very happy with ATACs on this issue.
Look has a new pedal, s-track, which are very handsome and seem well constructed. Checked them out at the LBS.

oldpotatoe
06-11-2013, 07:14 AM
I have been using Speedplay Frogs for a number of years and would like to find a pedal to use that still has plenty of float for my old knees but feels more connected/locked in. In reading past posts on this it seems that Shimano and Crank Brothers are the most used for this use.

Is there any particular reason that I should select one over the other for those riders that have lived with both systems?

TIA

We have sold a few crank bros and warrantied many more. I would say shimano..XT or XTR are hard to beat.

austex
06-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Shimano A-600 is an Ultegra-level road pedal using SPD cleats. Single-sided, but good support "frame".

crownjewelwl
06-11-2013, 09:07 AM
xt or xtr trail version...i like the wider platform

jh_on_the_cape
06-11-2013, 09:11 AM
I used eggbeaters (legbeaters) for a while. One of the few products that I found wore out too fast. I had many seasons on old shimano pedals. the eggbeaters less than a season and they 'needed a rebuild'.

I used shimano.

On my road bike I use these
Shimano A530 SPD Sport Road Pedals
http://www.rei.com/pix/common/pixel.gif

danielpack22@ma
06-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I've gone from Egg Beaters to Look Quartz to XT/XTR pedals.

I liked the Quartz, but they were made very poorly. I've been very happy with the support and contact area of the XT/XTR pedals. The Egg Beaters were the worst for me.

jtakeda
06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
I've heard xtr are well worth the extra coin.

russ46
06-11-2013, 11:33 AM
I've been using egg beaters for 3+ years now & have over 14,000 miles on them. Maintenance total for them is a bearing & seal overhaul. Still using original cleats. I've had a couple of times when I thought it would be nice to have a little more support under the feet but overall, lack of it hasn't been a problem. Haven't had any knee problems either.

I do have a set of Shimano pedals, courtesy of #1 son to try out. Haven't got around to installing the cleats on an old pair of shoes yet so can't comment on them. They do look like they will provide a better platform though.

JAGI410
06-11-2013, 11:42 AM
I prefer the adjustability of Shimano pedals. I tend to leave them light for cruising around town, then tighten them up for events and longer rides.

rice rocket
06-11-2013, 11:44 AM
I've heard xtr are well worth the extra coin.

Are they much different from XTs?

I have their latest XT trail pedal, they were ~80. The XTRs are double that for what seemed like just lighter weight.

gdw
06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
The current generation of XTR pedals have a history of bearing problems.
http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-biking/mtb-pedals/xtr-trail-pedal-problems/
-follow the links for more examples.

XT's are less expensive and more reliable.

rccardr
06-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I have a set of XT's, also a couple of the model below that ($60-ish price range) as well as a couple sets of less expensive Wellgo's.

Even though it would seem that the free-moving XT's would be faster than the others, in practice (at least with me, average of 16.5-18 mph on a century ride) they seem to work about the same. That is, very well.

DfCas
06-11-2013, 12:41 PM
After trying almost everything, I've settled on the ROC version of the Time ATAC. The ATAC XS wear fast, fit sloppy, and don't feel as connected. The ROC have shown no signs of wear in 5 years of use, and have a solid, connected feel while being utterly simple. I found the Shimano pedals to be fairly complex.
Time cleats last forever.

ptourkin
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I got my Super Randonneur last year in the Shimano one-sided road pedals with regular SPDs. I thought I'd want to use them so I could walk around. They are fine, but I feel like they are more prone to hotspots over the long haul, even in stiff Sidis. They look a little more appropriate on a road bike than mountain peds. That being said, I'm much happier now using SPD-SL full time, even for brevets.

KidWok
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
I have a set of A600's and probably won't bother again. After years of stepping into two sided SPD's, having to flip a pedal over just to clip in is a bit foreign. Fashion sense be damned.

I gave up on road pedals a few years ago. I use both Crank Brothers and SPD pedals and would probably go with SPD. They have less free float, a more durable cleat, and more solid contact with the shoe.

Tai