PDA

View Full Version : i'm sure we all know this, but...(Kirk Content)

AngryScientist
06-10-2013, 12:37 PM
every few months, just out out of curiosity, i do an ebay search for some of my favorite things to look at, and i am reminded that an ebay search for "David Kirk" returns mostly stuff as below. Dave - is this you??

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Miss-Spider-All-Pupaed-Out-by-Kirk-David-/00/$T2eC16NHJHIE9nyseGi,BRVtNfOrs!~~_35.JPG?set_id=89 040003C1

David Kirk
06-10-2013, 01:44 PM
every few months, just out out of curiosity, i do an ebay search for some of my favorite things to look at, and i am reminded that an ebay search for "David Kirk" returns mostly stuff as below. Dave - is this you??

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Miss-Spider-All-Pupaed-Out-by-Kirk-David-/00/$T2eC16NHJHIE9nyseGi,BRVtNfOrs!~~_35.JPG?set_id=89 040003C1

So very many years ago, while working at Serotta and living in NY I got a call one day at home asking for David Kirk. The person on the other end told me they were writing a feature magazine article about me and my work. Wow! - someone knew of my work and wanted to talk with me about it. Very cool to be recognized. The woman first asked about my drawing and wanted to know where I learned to draw. Well I did a lot of drawing for the job - new parts and tools all got drawn out on paper at the time. I studied drafting and mechanical drawing in school and and I told the woman I learned to draw in school. This started the conversation down the weird but entertaining path of trying to understand what the hell the other was talking about. After some awkward questions and even more awkward answers she said something about my being a 'children's illustrator'. Whaaa?

I told her what I did for a living and she finally said "you mean you aren't the author and illustrator David Kirk"? I assured her that I was indeed David Kirk but I was a framebuilder. We each got a big laugh about it and then she left me to go find the Kirk she really wanted.

It was years later that I saw the other DK's work and I couldn't stop smiling about that conversation years ago.

Dave

sc53
06-10-2013, 01:49 PM
New ideas for a "surprise me" DK Frameworks paint job?

bambam
06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Could those colors be the colors of the 10th aniversery Bikes?....:)

regularguy412
06-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I think the name of the next iteration of Kirk frames should be 'Pupa' or at least 'Chrysalis'.

Mike in AR:beer:

67-59
06-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Dave -- love the story.

Years ago while I was in law school in Nashville, I used to get occasional calls asking for someone with my same name to see if I was available for a "gig" that weekend. Turns out this guy was a drummer. The live music scene in Nashville is pretty active, so the calls were pretty frequent for a while.

My musical abilities are pretty much restricted to turning on the stereo...sometimes even successfully. Despite this, one caller was pretty persistent that I play with his band - he thought I was messing with him by denying I was the drummer - but I ultimately convinced him that we'd both probably regret it.:eek: