PDA

View Full Version : Booties and gloves for riding in the rain

Homsie
12-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm looking for some booties and gloves to use for riding in the rain this winter. Are there any booties or gloves that actually keep your dry? I've got some Pearl Izumi Amfib booties and some Castelli windstopper gloves which are both good for the winter in northern California, but when it rains, I eventually get wet. What do you use? Maybe Gortex socks?

Thanks,

James

gasman
12-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Here in Oregon I haven't found anything that keeps you dry for more than a short while. Warm, but not dry. Seems eventually the water finds it's way through.

Marburg
12-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Howz about bread bags in yer shoes?

I've used the Sealskinz socks for the seriously wet times, but they're heavy and _hot_ (and they're socks -- so your shoes still get soaked).

shaq-d
12-09-2005, 07:01 PM
i wouldn't wear goretex socks... it might keep ur feet protected from wetness from outside the sock, but it won't wick your sweat.

in fact i don't believe any of the hype around "wicking" when it's raining. nothing can wick when it's 100% humidity.

sd

arsegas
12-09-2005, 07:43 PM
There's been a few threads on this topic in the past year. Try searching the forum on the word "booties" and you'll find some good recommendations.

Based on suggestions I received from forum members on a similar question I posted (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8128&highlight=booties), I bought a bootie from Teo Sport and have been very happy with my purchase!

- Eric

vaxn8r
12-09-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm with the gasman. We ride in rain all the time. When it's pouring and cold I use freezer bags and duct tape them around my ankle with a small cleat cutout on the sole. Then bootie of choice. After about 2 hours your feet are still soaked, but that's a lot better than the alternative. Nothing works for gloves either. I use windstopper material and the hands get wet but they seem warm enough and the gloves don't weigh a ton when wet. Good luck.

Don't forget a good set of fenders and extenders. That's one of the biggest keys to not getting drenched in the first two minutes on the bike.