PDA

View Full Version : Mtn. Helmet recommendation

linger
06-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Looking for your thoughts on a couple helmets. Have had a giro xen for a long time and more recently a giro hex. Was interested in the new giro xar but read reviews that it channels sweat into the eyes. Have you had the same experiences? Also interested in the giro feature and the bell super. My road helmet is a bell sweep, so I know that fit as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linger

rice rocket
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Wear your Sweep.

crownjewelwl
06-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Wear your Sweep.

you can even buy a visor!

christian
06-10-2013, 08:16 AM
I have two Sweeps. A 2009 Sweep R and a 2012 Sweep. The 2012 came with a visor in the box. If you want it, PM me your address. I don't run visors - I wear a cycling cap.

christian
06-10-2013, 08:22 AM
I do like the Feature, though. It's dirt cheap and says, "I'm riding a mountain bike, in case you didn't notice from the boingy bits and rumbly tires."

(Oh yeah, last night I rode my MTB in the Hills of Graham and told my wife I'd be home by 7:30pm to put the kids down and that I'd pick up a half-gallon of 1% on the way home. At 7:05pm I flatted at the near the top of Updraft, so had to swap a tube and then get back down and get home. I should've been wearing a full-face and pads. Descending like a hooligan is so fun!)

Kirk Pacenti
06-10-2013, 08:52 AM
I've been wearing a Xar for the last year, and could not be more pleased.

n_maher
06-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I've been very pleased with my POC Trabec. I like that it provides very good "back of the head" protection.

http://interbike.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/poc_n3.jpg

crownjewelwl
06-10-2013, 09:27 AM
I do like the Feature, though. It's dirt cheap and says, "I'm riding a mountain bike, in case you didn't notice from the boingy bits and rumbly tires."

(Oh yeah, last night I rode my MTB in the Hills of Graham and told my wife I'd be home by 7:30pm to put the kids down and that I'd pick up a half-gallon of 1% on the way home. At 7:05pm I flatted at the near the top of Updraft, so had to swap a tube and then get back down and get home. I should've been wearing a full-face and pads. Descending like a hooligan is so fun!)

you need to go tubeless!

dogdriver
06-10-2013, 09:51 AM
( I should've been wearing a full-face and pads. Descending like a hooligan is so fun!)

Yeah, had a similar near-disaster raging down our fastest "flow" descent singletrack the other day. My only lesson learned is never to go downhill, without pads, with the "Cult" (college music for me, I'm old) in the ear buds. I'm thinking acoustic guitar next time...

As for helmets, YRMV, but I find my choices limited by the way different brands fit. My oblong noggin can only use Giro or Lazer, everything else is too "round" for my skull. Helmets and shoes need to be tried on before purchase. As for sweat, a cheesy headband under the helmet seems to work fine and is comfortable enough that I usually forget that its there.

azrider
06-10-2013, 10:09 AM
you need to go tubeless!

this

christian
06-10-2013, 12:13 PM
thisGoing tubeless might cost me more than I paid crownjewelwl for the whole bike, yo! I am a cheapskate.

rice rocket
06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Going tubeless might cost me more than I paid crownjewelwl for the whole bike, yo! I am a cheapskate.

People are running "ghetto" tubeless, which is just using your own packing/strapping tape to seal the rim bed. It's like $12 for the sealant, $10 for the tape and another ~$10 for the valve stems. No need to buy the whole Stan's kit (I use Continental sealant anyways). Some people are homebrewing their own sealant too.

crownjewelwl
06-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Going tubeless might cost me more than I paid crownjewelwl for the whole bike, yo! I am a cheapskate.

i thot you were going to rock those gold ano stan's rims anyway!

Ken Robb
06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Descending like a hooligan is so fun!)

Right up to when it isn't! You needn't ask how I KNOW this. :banana:

Kirk Pacenti
06-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Right up to when it isn't! You needn't ask how I KNOW this. :banana:

If you don't crash once in a while, you are not going fast enough! (http://vimeo.com/67998463#at=0) ;)

Cheers,
KP

crownjewelwl
06-10-2013, 01:23 PM
If you don't crash once in a while, you are not going fast enough! (http://vimeo.com/67998463#at=0) ;)

Cheers,
KP

g-d i wish i could ride like that

Kirk Pacenti
06-11-2013, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=crownjewelwl;1365208]g-d i wish i could ride like that[/QUOTE

You can. Just buy some of these (http://www.libertybrass.com/catalog.html?action=categoryView&cid=34) and you'll be ripping the descents in no time! :p

Cheers,
KP

crownjewelwl
06-11-2013, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=crownjewelwl;1365208]g-d i wish i could ride like that[/QUOTE

You can. Just buy some of these (http://www.libertybrass.com/catalog.html?action=categoryView&cid=34) and you'll be ripping the descents in no time! :p

Cheers,
KP

i would need more than that...but my new ripley may help!

oldpotatoe
06-12-2013, 08:27 AM
you need to go tubeless!

oh yes, you will never flat with tubeless.......

Just did a MTB wheel last night, tubeless, wouldn't hold air...crappy valve, and the sealant was a lump in the tire that looked like a pale little alien in there...

rice rocket
06-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Sounds like user error.

oldpotatoe
06-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Sounds like user error.

nope..one of the 'issues' with sealant..it doesn't last forever, not even 6 months, if the wheel isn't used. Yes, she could have taken it off, cleaned the little alien and small bit of goop still in the tire, re sealeg, more goop, compressor required for hers...etc. brought it to us. For the type of riding she does, in and around the republic, not sure tubeless offers any advantage. IMHO.