PDA

View Full Version : Criteriums Dangerous not just for the racers (Warning: crash content)

Lovetoclimb
06-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Seems like a horrible course design to have traffic going against itself so quickly and not have a healthy centerline divider. I certainly hope everyone involved is okay. Really not sure if the car hit someone or the leader of the race.

http://vimeo.com/68001999

MattTuck
06-09-2013, 09:00 PM
A bike took out the poor girl trying to direct the cyclists to the proper side of the road. :(

This is based on the fact that the car is nowhere near her, the timing doesn't make sense for the car to have hit her. the car was incidental in that it was in the same area, but not a part of the accident.

echappist
06-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Seems like a horrible course design to have traffic going against itself so quickly and not have a healthy centerline divider. I certainly hope everyone involved is okay. Really not sure if the car hit someone or the leader of the race.

http://vimeo.com/68001999

apparently the course has always been set up this way (without dividers on that section of the road)

http://www.cyclingclassic.org/images/Map/PDF-CrystalCup2013.jpg

The accident occurred on Crystal Drive, on the stretch between the 180 turn and 20th street.

This is at the end of the Pro/1 race (i was there the whole race, it's like a mile away from my apartment). The course is set up crazy, and we were wondering just what would happen if the break were to cross 20th street while traveling south while the pack turns left from 20th onto Crystal Drive. Just so very stupid

They race with on streets that are half as wide as those in the video in Europe. Do the designers somehow think that American crit racers can't handle narrow roads if barriers were set up?

Kebuchan24
06-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Welcome to big time bike racing in America.

... and this is why we can't have nice things.

cmg
06-09-2013, 09:15 PM
why was the car even on the same road as the cyclists?

avalonracing
06-09-2013, 09:19 PM
What a Cluster...

I don't know the course but looking at the map and the crash I wonder what they hell they were thinking.

charliedid
06-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Good lord that looks terrible on so many fronts.

Hope that woman is okay.

sailorboy
06-09-2013, 09:23 PM
What a joke...yet another reason why crits are stupid. That organizer will be lucky if there isn't some legal action (IMHO and all that.)

echappist
06-09-2013, 09:26 PM
What a joke...yet another reason why crits are stupid. That organizer will be lucky if there isn't some legal action (IMHO and all that.)

crits are not dumb, the promoters are hare-brained, and USAC is hare-brained for approving a design this FUBAR

those involved (the marshal and the racer) are both banged up but okay.

the Chevy Volt is the lead car and wasn't involved in this.

avalonracing
06-09-2013, 09:33 PM
And as the commenter pointed out. The Officials keep yelling, "LEFT LEFT LEFT" while pointing right.

ntb1001
06-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Stupid!!!!!!

Put the promoter in jail for a couple of nights for reckless endangerment...then maybe next time a safer course would be designed.

Unfortunately, what will happen is that this race will just cease to exist...it's just easier that way.

MattTuck
06-09-2013, 09:36 PM
I hear the criticism, but there was help within about 30 seconds help was on the scene. That is pretty good response time and a testament to the planning or luck of where it happened.

If the racers had been paying more attention, the original accident and the second accident could have been avoided. They literally just barreled into a group of people in the course. You've gotta use some common sense.

MattTuck
06-09-2013, 09:37 PM
And as the commenter pointed out. The Officials keep yelling, "LEFT LEFT LEFT" while pointing right.

THEIR left! d'oh!

slidey
06-09-2013, 09:38 PM
They shout "Stay left", and point to the right...geez, what a cluster puck!

Even without the incident, what county allows a crit to carry on without complete road closures??!!

echappist
06-09-2013, 09:39 PM

she's telling the pack to go to its left, and as she's facing them, she's motioning to the right. i don't see anything wrong with this...

rice rocket
06-09-2013, 10:43 PM
she's telling the pack to go to its left, and as she's facing them, she's motioning to the right. i don't see anything wrong with this...

He's talking about the lead motorcycle rider shouting post-accident.

Anyways, I'm sure he didn't mean to, it was a brain fart. Hope everyone recovers, that course needs a serious re-think though.

avalonracing
06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
He's talking about the lead motorcycle rider shouting post-accident.

Anyways, I'm sure he didn't mean to, it was a brain fart. Hope everyone recovers, that course needs a serious re-think though.

Yup. And when you are moving at 30mph, at your limit from racing, guys going every which way around you, people in the road and someone on the ground, parked cars and motos on the course and some ref in a striped shirt is pointing one way yet shouting another way it can be a bit confusing. Admittedly the moto ref was doing his best to try and save lives but it was not the best move.

ultraman6970
06-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Dont remember the route was like that last year, remember went around the blocks.

The guy who set up the route needs to get a gift. 1st time ever I see a criterium route set up like this EVER.

Great for the organization team!

echappist
06-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Dont remember the route was like that last year, remember went around the blocks.

The guy who set up the route needs to get a gift. 1st time ever I see a criterium route set up like this EVER.

Great for the organization team!
it did go around the blocks, but Crystal Drive was traversed both ways.

video from 2011. Scroll to 28:30 and watch until 30:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq1DuT5ssrI

shovelhd
06-10-2013, 06:38 AM
She was not a marshal, she has a blue shirt. USAC official.

The car was on the course because it was the lead car. It was in front of the three man break. It was going the opposite way because the idiots that designed this course and the idiots that permitted it allowed the field to double back on itself without a barrier in between. That's inexcusable.

To blame the UHC guys for getting too close is myopic. They are hammering at full tilt trying to reel in that break. The race is almost over. It's go time. There should not be an official standing in the middle of the road.

I hope the official is OK, and still wants to do her job for less than minimum wage every weekend. Also, kudos to the rider who hit her leg, jumped her torso, but could not keep it together and crashed hard right afterwards. He must be pretty freaked out.

William
06-10-2013, 06:51 AM
She was not a marshal, she has a blue shirt. USAC official.

The car was on the course because it was the lead car. It was in front of the three man break. It was going the opposite way because the idiots that designed this course and the idiots that permitted it allowed the field to double back on itself without a barrier in between. That's inexcusable.

To blame the UHC guys for getting too close is myopic. They are hammering at full tilt trying to reel in that break. The race is almost over. It's go time. There should not be an official standing in the middle of the road.

I hope the official is OK, and still wants to do her job for less than minimum wage every weekend. Also, kudos to the rider who hit her leg, jumped her torso, but could not keep it together and crashed hard right afterwards. He must be pretty freaked out.

I agree on all counts. The person/persons who designed that course, and the people who signed off on it should be flogged. It wasn't a matter of "if", it was a matter of "when" with a course design like that. I have never raced on a crit course with an open lane to race traffic coming the opposite direction, nor would I. I can't even imagine how they would allow that to go off???

I hope all involved weren't hurt too bad and make a speedy recovery. On the flip side, someone needs to take the heat for that fubar set up.

William

Likes2ridefar
06-10-2013, 09:23 AM
from one of the racers that crashed:

http://timrugg.blogspot.ca/2013/06/day-1-hitting-road-literally.html

echappist
06-10-2013, 09:36 AM
from one of the racers that crashed:

http://timrugg.blogspot.ca/2013/06/day-1-hitting-road-literally.html

oh s***, that's just terrible. Tim was in the 8 (or 9) person breakaway the previous day in Clarendon, where the break lapped the field. Tim is a local amateur rider who held his own against the big boys, and this is just sad that his week had to end this way...

shovelhd
06-10-2013, 10:55 AM
If you see him, tell him that was one hell of a move. It literally saved the official's life, and he took the brunt of it. A chainring in the back of the head at 25mph is not going to end well.

ariw
06-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Terrible design IMHO, this could have been avoided with either barriers dividing the course that were obvious to everyone or not doubling back like that.

-Ari

slidey
06-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Doesn't matter...there is no place for a car on a crit course. The course is an out-and-back 2km course...2km!!

If ever a vehicle is needed on a crit course that's particularly hilly or has a lot of people, then there's a ref on a motorcyle (moto-ref) to do a few random laps with the peloton to keep a check every now and then there's no free laps being taken by anybody, etc...but, I've never seen a car!

I really hope the promoter is sued for this incident.

The car was on the course because it was the lead car.

FlashUNC
06-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Seriously, whoever designed that course should be fired.

The Presby Crit Course here in Charlotte uses the same main street for the front/back stretch, but the course is divided, like any sensible person would set it up, to avoid this very thing from happening.

Inexcusable.

shovelhd
06-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Doesn't matter...there is no place for a car on a crit course. The course is an out-and-back 2km course...2km!!

Umm, we have lead cars on criteriums all the time around here. Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris, all sorts of fun stuff. It's never been a problem.

slidey
06-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Wow!! Really?? What purpose does it serve? I mean, I can only think of things getting worse with this norm! As I said (with an edit), a moto-ref is the most we get to see here in local SoCal races.

Umm, we have lead cars on criteriums all the time around here. Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris, all sorts of fun stuff. It's never been a problem.

avalonracing
06-10-2013, 12:12 PM
I tend to agree that a lead car has no place on a 2km crit course that overlaps itself.

FlashUNC
06-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Wow!! Really?? What purpose does it serve? I mean, I can only think of things getting worse with this norm! As I said (with an edit), a moto-ref is the most we get to see here in local SoCal races.

Have cars on courses all the time around here. Sponsor dollars at work.

That being said, the courses aren't designed by idiots too.

bikingshearer
06-10-2013, 12:49 PM

You hope they get sued? Nice attitude to take towards someone who is trying to promote your chosen sport. A lawsuit may or may not happen. But your wish is not helpful.

What is helpful? Figure out what mistakes were made here (it sounds like the real problem was the official being in the middle of the road, which would not have been necessary if some sort of divider, even traffic cones, had been in place). From the accounts, it would appear that the pace car had absolutely nothing to do with causing this crash - it's a red herring, so why go off on that rant?

In short, focus on identifying and fixing the problem, not on finding someone to blame. If you do the former, and the process identifies someone who truly deserves blame (and I mean someone who actively did something they should have known was wrong, not someone who simply made a well-intentioned mistake), deal with that. But the review has to be broader than just indentifying whose head should roll.

weiwentg
06-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Yup. And when you are moving at 30mph, at your limit from racing, guys going every which way around you, people in the road and someone on the ground, parked cars and motos on the course and some ref in a striped shirt is pointing one way yet shouting another way it can be a bit confusing. Admittedly the moto ref was doing his best to try and save lives but it was not the best move.

plus, especially in a field that large and with a course like that, chances are nobody apart from the leaders would have had much or any time to look up and see the crash. everyone thinks they need to keep left. they hear the officials yell "left!". Maybe the people in front yell to tell them to keep right, I don't know. but there is no time to react.

if the course were a lot longer and you were aggressive about pulling stragglers, this could have worked OK. if the course didn't double back on itself, this wouldn't have happened either. either way, this wasn't a bad course. hopefully no major injuries.

shovelhd
06-10-2013, 01:08 PM
(it sounds like the real problem was the official being in the middle of the road, which would not have been necessary if some sort of divider, even traffic cones, had been in place).

No, the problem was that the course was effectively not a closed course because there were no dividers down the center of that stretch where riders could be going in opposite directions. Removing the official would have made things even worse. The break would have come out of the tunnel out of the saddle heading straight for a charging field. That's just stupid.

I understand that the stretch of road was long and that it would be expensive to put up dividers, but it didn't have to be fancy. Even a snow fence would have been effective. It didn't have to be capable of stopping a 40 ton truck, just a few bike racers. I just cannot believe that USAC Mid Atlantic permitted that race as is. They were lucky to only have one crash related to this oversight. That kind of stuff could have gone on all day.

Before anyone asks, I have been on a race committee and understand the difficulties of permitting a race.

regularguy412
06-10-2013, 01:26 PM
I raced the Tour LeFleur in Jackson, MS a couple of times. The crit course was similarly laid out to this one. The big difference was, the organizers had put a string of hay bales down the center so as to keep the course separated directionally for the riders. There was only one incident in the two years I competed. My race was over but I was standing near the center of the course where the two race lines pass closely by one another. One of the Pro/1/2 guys got squeezed into one of the bales and clipped his pedal on it. He went down, but was not seriously injured. Happened right in front of me. Having been on the same course myself earlier in the day, I thot that the course layout and safety features were sufficient. We had started with about 80 guys in our group,, the Pro group prolly had a few more, but there was adequate space for over 100 to get around the course, regardless of breakaways.

In the setup for the course in this thread, it seems the organizers 'allowed' the racers to use the full width for the fast corners, which put the riders at risk. If there had been barriers, the riders would have been forced to work within the course confines.

Mike in AR:beer:

slidey
06-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't care for a half-wit promoting a race where its distinctly obvious that its a crapshoot waiting to happen. No race, is better than a terribly planned race and does nothing else but showcase the sport in a negative light (which, incidentally if you haven't been following the news in the past few years, is all that the sport has managed to be visible for; sad but true). Hence your first line is a red herring :cool:

You hope they get sued? Nice attitude to take towards someone who is trying to promote your chosen sport. A lawsuit may or may not happen. But your wish is not helpful.

The rest of your reply strikes me one of those speeches by politicians or managers; very sound advice, but little to do with the nitty-gritty's. The official needs to be on the road, as she is serving the purpose that otherwise a barrier or hay-bales would. I'm sure you've raced races before, and don't need to be told that when there's no visible sense of demarcation on a course, then racers will take as much room as possible. The official was the visible demarcator...I'm surprised the Chief Referee didn't shut down the race day-of after viewing these preparations or lack thereof.

Also, *** is the pace car doing?? I have very serious Q's about the car...I wasn't able to see any ads on the side of the car in the vid, but I might've missed it. I don't see any riders immediately behind or ahead of the car, so what or whom was it pacing? I know at times some fancy-pants teams ask for their team car to be placed on course for just their own riders, etc. However not having even a single bike rack on the car, I doubt any team would invest in such a purposeless car. So logically, either its a wheel support car or a stray car that managed to find its way into the course. If its a stray car, then the blaring horns can be excused, as they wouldn't know any better and the course marshals who were slacking off should be severely admonished. If its a wheel support vehicle, which seems to be the conclusion I'm reaching, then yes, sue the race director for having it in a crit.

Crits = wheel pits => NO CAR, Road races = neutral support => CAR!

Not every incident needs a grand jury investigation, some things are just open and shut, like this one. And yes, I've been a race director for the past two years and organised road races, as well as crits with a decent record, so I know what I'm talking about.

What is helpful? Figure out what mistakes were made here (it sounds like the real problem was the official being in the middle of the road, which would not have been necessary if some sort of divider, even traffic cones, had been in place). From the accounts, it would appear that the pace car had absolutely nothing to do with causing this crash - it's a red herring, so why go off on that rant?

In short, focus on identifying and fixing the problem, not on finding someone to blame. If you do the former, and the process identifies someone who truly deserves blame (and I mean someone who actively did something they should have known was wrong, not someone who simply made a well-intentioned mistake), deal with that. But the review has to be broader than just indentifying whose head should roll.

mikoglaces
06-10-2013, 02:48 PM
I think the problem is the course design, not the pace car. I thought the point of the pace car was to keep people out of the street. Folks are scared of fast cars but some might venture into the street if only bikes were present, even a fast peloton. I didn't go to this race but was at the previous day crit in Clarendon and there are lots of shops and restaurants there and lots of folks crossed the street during the race.

slidey
06-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Were there no course marshalls keeping people from entering the course?

I think the problem is the course design, not the pace car. I thought the point of the pace car was to keep people out of the street. Folks are scared of fast cars but some might venture into the street if only bikes were present, even a fast peloton. I didn't go to this race but was at the previous day crit in Clarendon and there are lots of shops and restaurants there and lots of folks crossed the street during the race.

mikoglaces
06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Were there no course marshalls keeping people from entering the course?

There were, but I think the pace car created some redundancy. Anyway, that's what i took it to be for.

Jnnybrns
06-10-2013, 03:40 PM
This course is nasty and can create the worst kind of yo-yo. In previous years, as I raced on the course there had been cones in place to direct the flow of bike traffic in the out and back.

The course itself suffers from a few too many potholes and road issues. That being said I certainly hope the race continues under slightly safer conditions next year.

And yes, Tim Rugg is in the Top 5 Bunny hops of the year award with that move. He's a dedicated racer who is out there trying to get to the next level.

He's on his way as I type this to NVGP and hopefully his injurieis don't slow him down as he chases the bike dream.

shovelhd
06-10-2013, 03:42 PM
As I said before, my take is that the pace car was in front of the break. You can hear the horn honking as they go through the tunnel. Then the pace car pulls over to the left. Why? Because THERE IS AN OFFICIAL DOWN ON THE COURSE. The race should have been redded right then and there. All stop. Instead, the break passes the downed official on the right, and then comes the field, and the ensuing mayhem.

avalonracing
06-10-2013, 03:55 PM
And yes, Tim Rugg is in the Top 5 Bunny hops of the year award

Well let's say top 10. A top 5 would have cleared her, nailed the landing and continued to bridge to the breakaway.

HenryA
06-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Kind of stupid not to have cones, but at the same time there is a >>YELLOW LINE<<.

Cones would have fixed this. (repeat that over and over)

Cars or motos are common leading in crits and a very good idea in a city setting where there are lots of intersections where citizens could inadvertently enter the course in their cars. At least a car with flashing lights and horns honking keep folk's attention and maybe from pulling out in front of a group of racers.

We used to have one that did the double back thing in Knoxville. It was kind of stupid but the choke was at the tight 180 turn so near zero speed. Safe but not that fun. I've raced others that doubled back but the organizer does have to put up enough effort to make them safe.

slidey
06-10-2013, 03:59 PM
So the break was the 3 man one you're referring to right? If indeed the pace car was in front of them, then where was it on the way out? :confused:

I think it (the car) was more for what someone else mentioned, i.e. keeping crowds at bay, which is hardly a justification for a car on course :cool:

As I said before, my take is that the pace car was in front of the break. You can hear the horn honking as they go through the tunnel. Then the pace car pulls over to the left. Why? Because THERE IS AN OFFICIAL DOWN ON THE COURSE. The race should have been redded right then and there. All stop. Instead, the break passes the downed official on the right, and then comes the field, and the ensuing mayhem.

HenryA
06-10-2013, 04:03 PM
In this part of the world there is nothing unusual about a car or moto leading a crit. Its a good safety measure. It keeps Aunt Bea from getting on the course in her Buick wagon while she is trying to meet the girls for lunch on the other side of the course. People die from unauthorized cars entering crit courses. And its happened more than once.

gavingould
06-10-2013, 04:13 PM
lead cars are quite common for crits. usually they're far enough up ahead that there's really a moto with an official doing the real pace/leadout.
the car has absolutely nothing to do with this - it stopped due to a downed rider and bike being in its path.

dividing the directions of traffic with barriers or fencing would have prevented this. the course should never have been approved without that. if barriers had been in place, the rider toward the back of that group would not have been so far to the right and clipped the marshal.

when they came back around, anyone more than a few riders back in the group would not have been able to see the commotion and pointing up ahead, but would have likely heard the shouts of LEFT LEFT LEFT and so started moving that way.

IMO blame rests on both the promoter for not having the sense to divide traffic directions with a physical barrier of some kind, and the officials there for letting it proceed that way!

gavingould
06-10-2013, 04:21 PM
see also: US CX Nats 2007. (http://youtu.be/32q1oJtNDrQ)

not exactly the same thing, but downed course tape (or even not downed) provides no protection to riders heading in opposite directions.
I believe there is some kind of rule or guideline now that there should be an 8ft lane between traffic moving in opposite directions. might only apply to CX out-and-back portions, not sure. something i read somewhere.

shovelhd
06-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Kind of stupid not to have cones, but at the same time there is a >>YELLOW LINE<<.

Yellow lines have no meaning in criteriums unless specifically called out by the Chief Official at the line before each race.

slidey
06-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I understand that a pace car is common place on crits for most of you (although I still fail to see the vacuum its supposed to be filling).

I still strongly disagree with the idea of having a pace car on this specific course, one that doubles back on itself. Good that the car directly caused no damage this time, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the potential dangers.

slidey
06-10-2013, 04:59 PM
+1

yellow lines have no meaning in criteriums

HenryA
06-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Yellow lines have no meaning in criteriums unless specifically called out by the Chief Official at the line before each race.

As if calling this out would not have been entirely in order in the race we're talking about? Two way traffic with a yellow line in between means something in all the rest of life on any road in the U.S. But calling it out would not be enough in a crit without some DQs to back it up.

Putting up a line of cones or snow fence or hay bales would have made it even more apparent. The organizer didn't make this safe, and the official had no business out there - she was way under-equipped. And I'm not sure that she could have been adequately equipped to do what she apparently tried to do alone.

The other part that is missing from this discussion is the often unclear separation of powers between promoters and officials. Either or both can assume too much control over a race course or not enough. Its a fine line. An assertive individual in either position may be able to override the other and make it safer or not. I ran the Masters Nats Crit one year. When its my job, I enjoy being assertive. That race was safe. The Commissar was less than happy with me because of the extra time I took with hay bales and securing the course. It didn't bother me then and it still does not bother me now. :cool:

echappist
06-10-2013, 05:51 PM
So the break was the 3 man one you're referring to right? If indeed the pace car was in front of them, then where was it on the way out? :confused:

I think it (the car) was more for what someone else mentioned, i.e. keeping crowds at bay, which is hardly a justification for a car on course :cool:

The pace car was always out there in the front. Too far ahead to be seen in the video.

This is gotta be one of the worst managed races i've seen as they didnt post enough marshals, and there were quite a few doofuses who were walking on the street, against direction of race or crossing where there wernt any one to stop them.

One of the The usac officials also seems a bit unconcerned about all this and only begin paying attention when someone was walking across the race course betwen the lead car and the break. I wasn't sure if the ref saw it, and when i pointed it out, he seemed indignant that i wpuld bring it up.

All in all, total cluster**** of a race, and it's amazing that no one was hurt much worse...

For an event of this mafnitude, i was surprised that they couldnt have put up more safety features.

shovelhd
06-10-2013, 06:24 PM
As if calling this out would not have been entirely in order in the race we're talking about? Two way traffic with a yellow line in between means something in all the rest of life on any road in the U.S. But calling it out would not be enough in a crit without some DQs to back it up.

True. I was just making a point about the rules. A barrier would have been much better.

I ran the Masters Nats Crit one year.

I hope it wasn't last year, because that course was a disaster.

HenryA
06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
snipped........

I hope it wasn't last year, because that course was a disaster.

Naw, way back in the 90s.

Walter
06-10-2013, 09:10 PM
So many things wrong here from course design to the lack of a divider to putting officials out in the middle of two way traffic to not red flagging the event quickly to the placement of vehicles to protect the downed official and not exacerbate the hazard for other officials and riders. They got lucky to not (apparently) really injure some folks or worse .

Why and how was this layout even approved? So much for what a sanction fee gets you. Someone really dropped the ball here and it hurts insurance rates and getting approval for other events in the future.