PDA

View Full Version : Double to Triple conversion?

wasfast
12-09-2005, 08:39 AM
have a 2004 Giant TCR composite with Record 10 (short cage) and a FSA Team Issue carbon crank(39-53) currently and 13-26 cassette. I am needing to convert it to a triple crank. It appears that $600 will be parted with if I replace the crank, BB, and both derailleurs. Ouch.

Crank: It's difficult to tell from online pictures but is the spider the same on the triple? It appears the 30t ring is attached directly to the spider on the Campy but I'm not sure on the FSA. I'd like to convert the crank I have and just buy a 30t ring.

Rear Derailleur. A medium cage appears to be recommended but think I may be able to sneak by if I avoid Big/big combinations. Inputs?

BB: the existing bb is a FSA Platium Pro TI, 68 x 108 ISIS. It looks like I need a 111. Is that correct?

Front Derailleur. I'm assuming the triple version has more travel but need to verify that.

Thoughts from others that have done this? Anyone have spare parts to trade/sell? I'm planning on FSA triple (not Gossamer), Record 10 Derailleurs, FSA BB.

znfdl
12-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Crank: I believe that you will have to buy a new crank, unless you can find a double to triple adapter. The adapter attaches to the inside chainring on a double crank. the adapter has two positions for chain rings.

Rear Derailleur. A medium cage appears to be recommended but think I may be able to sneak by if I avoid Big/big combinations. Inputs?

BB: the existing bb is a FSA Platium Pro TI, 68 x 108 ISIS. It looks like I need a 111. Is that correct? If you buy a camp crank you will need a 100.5mm or a 111 mm crank.[COLOR=Red]

Front Derailleur. I'm assuming the triple version has more travel but need to verify that. Yes you will ne a triple front derailleur for the added travel.

Thoughts from others that have done this? Anyone have spare parts to trade/sell? I'm planning on FSA triple (not Gossamer), Record 10 Derailleurs, FSA BB.

I have a used Campy triple front derailleur, send me a PM

OldDog
12-09-2005, 09:27 AM
If you can live with out the high end gears consider a compact crank (Ritchey) and buy a meduim cage (cage only)for your Record changer and a Chorus 13 - 29 cassette. I did this last spring but eventlualy went back to my 39/53 crank, but kept the 29 cogs.

wasfast
12-09-2005, 09:49 AM
I originally had a 12-25 with a 34-50. The issue there wasn't the low end but the amount of double shifting for normal flat riding. I seemed to be crossed chained all the time. Other than steep climbing, the current 13-26 with 39-53 is fine. I really like the 1 tooth jumps on the 13-26 as I use the 18t quite a bit in both rings.

Serotta PETE
12-09-2005, 10:22 AM
In regard to CAMPY... You will need a new rear Dr and possibly a front (because of going from 30 to 52/53.) As to Crank , let me suggest a Centuer or Chorus triple with BB. (to save $$)

In rear I would use the long cage since you have to buy one anyway.

From the way I read it, you have tried compact, so the only alternative left is the triple - which requires the new DRs and Crank/BB.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but you will cause yourself less grief by doing it right the first time.

PETE

Serotta PETE
12-09-2005, 10:27 AM
From Barnford bike which is a good source for CAMPY info and parts

To upgrade your Campy 10 speed double chainring gruppo to a triple you will need:
A 10 speed triple chainring crank, a matching bottom bracket and a 10 speed triple front derailleur.
You may use a medium length cage, 10 speed, rear derailleur if your largest rear cassette cog is 26 teeth or less. A long cage, 10 speed rear derailleur will be required if you want to use a rear cassette cog larger than 26 teeth. Why? The longer cage is needed to pick up the slack in your chain when you are on the smallest chain ring and the smaller cassette cogs.
Campagnolo 10 speed triple cranks will not work with an 8/9 speed triple drivetrain