PDA

View Full Version : Bedford's latest . . .

BumbleBeeDave
06-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Shot some pics for Kelly last week. They came out pretty well.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123795

BBD

93legendti
06-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I think it looks great. Reminds me of my first Ottrott.

TPetsch
06-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Good looking bike!

On the other hand, you need a better camera.

Climb01742
06-08-2013, 02:39 PM
to echo others...simple, elegant, substance is its style, desirable. well done.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2013, 07:48 AM
I think it looks great. Reminds me of my first Ottrott.

wellll

Pricing? Not on the website.

93legendti
06-09-2013, 08:03 AM
wellll

Pricing? Not on the website.

I don't work for Bedford! I merely commented on how it looked....;)

oldpotatoe
06-09-2013, 08:06 AM
I don't work for Bedford! I merely commented on how it looked....;)

Well, I know! just thought 'somebody' would know the pricing..ya know, a general, 'pricing?, not on website', type question. Not a PM. just a question.

RedRider
06-09-2013, 08:23 AM
I've heard this Bedford custom frameset will be about $5K

93legendti
06-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Yo BBD, can ya ask Kelly "how much", please?

BumbleBeeDave
06-09-2013, 08:44 AM
. . to go ahead and post these photos. He anticipated they would generate some questions and said he would give it a day or two and then check in to answer.

I don't know how many of these composite frames he has made so far--this might be the first. So it's possible he may still be working out pricing.

BBD

Ahneida Ride
06-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I think it is right around 5K private central bank shopping coupons.

reggiebaseball
06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
K Bedford and Firefly, on the cutting edge with mixed material frames.

Adam
06-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Don't forget Ottrott SE and Seven 622 SLX!

Smiley
06-09-2013, 03:17 PM
I think Kelly has not set the final pricing but IF I had to bet it would be around $4600-4700. The add on's are for BB 30 and up charge for over sized head tube with Enve Tapered fork or if you wanted to go to an Enve 1.0 versus the stock 2.0 fork. Thos charges would make the frame around 5k .

Picture this same frame but with Ti lugs and carbon tubes...... this is my future bike, cause I can be different :)

mcteague
06-09-2013, 03:36 PM
K Bedford and Firefly, on the cutting edge with mixed material frames.

Really? What have they done that Serotta and Seven have not?

Tim

zap
06-09-2013, 03:44 PM
p charge for over sized head tube with Enve Tapered fork

Picture this same frame but with Ti lugs and carbon tubes...... this is my future bike, cause I can be different :)

Cool frameset.

:) buddy, u r different no matter what. :banana:

Anyhow, still offering oversized ht hmmmm. Who needs that? Andre The Giant......if he still lived and cycled....

Steevo
06-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Beautiful bike and nice pics. BBD, that looks like a fun photo shoot.:banana:

K Bedford
06-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Sorry there's no pricing on the website yet. The frame and fork as pictured, polished Ti or with full paint is 4995.00.
Carbon is tubes are being done By Rockwest Composites in Utah.
K

pdmtong
06-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Really? What have they done that Serotta and Seven have not?

Tim

perhaps not cutting edge, but certainly 2013: 44mm inset, PF30.

the close ups are nice, but the whole bike by the stream looks like it was taken with a 2005 cellphone

BumbleBeeDave
06-10-2013, 05:38 AM
perhaps not cutting edge, but certainly 2013: 44mm inset, PF30.

the close ups are nice, but the whole bike by the stream looks like it was taken with a 2005 cellphone

. . . it doesn't meet your standards. Fortunately, the client seems happy with them. Next time I'll bring along my digital Hassie. :)

BBD

pdmtong
06-10-2013, 09:04 AM
. . . it doesn't meet your standards. Fortunately, the client seems happy with them. Next time I'll bring along my digital Hassie. :)

BBD

I recall your battenkill (I think) shots. No doubt you have skills. Since Kelly is the beholder.....

Ahneida Ride
06-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Kelly may be the only guy out there that builds in all materials (except full carbon)

Lugged Steel
Tig Steel
Lugged Stainless
Tig Stainless
Ti
Ti carbon
Stainless carbon

and all styles of bikes:
snow
mountain
race
track
touring

pdmtong
06-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Kelly may be the only guy out there that builds in all materials (except full carbon)

Lugged Steel
Tig Steel
Lugged Stainless
Tig Stainless
Ti
Ti carbon
Stainless carbon

and all styles of bikes:
snow
mountain
race
track
touring

this thought had occured to me as well. his mastery is pretty astounding.

fuzzalow
06-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Titanium welds for a builder leaves a builder no place to hide behind fancy paint or the corralling influence of a lug. Like drawing freehand curves at arms length with a Pilot 0.5mm pen; singing acapella; standing naked in Macy's window. Something like that.

I could go for pics of this bike taken with a digital Hasselblad. (LOL choose between a car and a camera' whats it gonna be?) Whoa.

palincss
06-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Lugged Steel
Tig Steel
Lugged Stainless
Tig Stainless
Ti
Ti carbon
Stainless carbon

Clearly no love for aluminum here!

BumbleBeeDave
06-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't have a digital Hassie.

It's a 12mb file and they all look pretty darn good on my screen. Not sure what the problem is but Kelly loves them and it's him I'm trying to please.

After seeing all Kelly has done over the years I'm convinced he could build a masterpiece out of raw spaghetti and Elmer's glue if you asked him to.

BBD

Nooch
06-11-2013, 10:12 AM

It's a 12mb file and they all look pretty darn good on my screen. Not sure what the problem is but Kelly loves them and it's him I'm trying to please.

After seeing all Kelly has done over the years I'm convinced he could build a masterpiece out of raw spaghetti and Elmer's glue if you asked him to.

BBD

I don't know about spaghetti -- a little sweat would turn it into a wet noodle!

budump-bump.

I'll be here all week, folks!

reggiebaseball
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM

BBD

your close up photos look excellent and sharp.
However, the wide shots, like those at the river - your lens has missed the plane of focus. You can see how sharp the grass by the rear wheel is, but I cannot read the logos on the Enve fork or Zipps wheels which are big. The rocky ground foreground is perfectly resolved, but I cannot read the KBedford logo on the bike. This would be called back focus (or actually front focus in your case I think, but usually the phenomenon is called back-focus)

Or maybe you focused on the rocky ground because the contrast of the bike is hard to pick out when back lit- well that can cause front focus because the ground is in front of the actual subject, the bike which is different than where the font wheel hits the ground (depending on your aperture)

Sometimes your lens can be a little off, not even across the frame but on one side.

I would guess the wide shots are with a different lens at a different aperture, and certainly at a different focus range (medium/far as opposed to close up), and some element in that mix (along with blown highlights from shooting under the sun) is making your shots slightly out of focus.

You could try standing closer and stopping down more, a different lens.
You could take the already shot full size images and heavily sharpen your edges and down size them and get them to look fine for the internet.

However, for them to be this small here and still not razor sharp means something is off.

Use a close up target and a mid range target and check your camera and lenses for back focus. Use a newspaper at 8 feet lying on a table and you standing up so the picture is at an angle. Yo uwant to focus on a specific part of a line of text and see if the letter you want is in focus, or if a preceeding letter is sharper (front focus), or a letter later in the line is sharpest (back focus) and again at 30 feet you can use staggered objects - like a few beer cans label forward- at staggered distances like 28.5-29-29.5-30' then stand so they are visually in a line and shoot the can inthe middle, and see where the sharpest label is, take test shots at different apertures, then look at them at 100%

Finally, if you are attaching them, maybe the forum software is changing the size and making them fuzzy (though your close ups look sharp).

SteveFrench
06-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Bumblebeedave, were those shots taken behind the Cottrell paper mill?

BumbleBeeDave
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
And here all this time I thought it was just because this is only an 800px file that I uploaded and those logos are only a few pixels wide on your screen. It's tack in the original 12mb file.

It IS a really nice bike . . .

BBD

your close up photos look excellent and sharp.
However, the wide shots, like those at the river - your lens has missed the plane of focus. You can see how sharp the grass by the rear wheel is, but I cannot read the logos on the Enve fork or Zipps wheels which are big. The rocky ground foreground is perfectly resolved, but I cannot read the KBedford logo on the bike. This would be called back focus (or actually front focus in your case I think, but usually the phenomenon is called back-focus)

Or maybe you focused on the rocky ground because the contrast of the bike is hard to pick out when back lit- well that can cause front focus because the ground is in front of the actual subject, the bike which is different than where the font wheel hits the ground (depending on your aperture)

Sometimes your lens can be a little off, not even across the frame but on one side.

I would guess the wide shots are with a different lens at a different aperture, and certainly at a different focus range (medium/far as opposed to close up), and some element in that mix (along with blown highlights from shooting under the sun) is making your shots slightly out of focus.

You could try standing closer and stopping down more, a different lens.
You could take the already shot full size images and heavily sharpen your edges and down size them and get them to look fine for the internet.

However, for them to be this small here and still not razor sharp means something is off.

Use a close up target and a mid range target and check your camera and lenses for back focus. Use a newspaper at 8 feet lying on a table and you standing up so the picture is at an angle. Yo uwant to focus on a specific part of a line of text and see if the letter you want is in focus, or if a preceeding letter is sharper (front focus), or a letter later in the line is sharpest (back focus) and again at 30 feet you can use staggered objects - like a few beer cans label forward- at staggered distances like 28.5-29-29.5-30' then stand so they are visually in a line and shoot the can inthe middle, and see where the sharpest label is, take test shots at different apertures, then look at them at 100%

Finally, if you are attaching them, maybe the forum software is changing the size and making them fuzzy (though your close ups look sharp).

BumbleBeeDave
06-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Bumblebeedave, were those shots taken behind the Cottrell paper mill?

. . . of some sort fo buildings on the far bank, But I had not been to that spot before, so I'm not sure.

BBD

SteveFrench
06-11-2013, 07:17 PM
. . . of some sort fo buildings on the far bank, But I had not been to that spot before, so I'm not sure.

BBD

Thanks for letting me know. It's good to see some pictures there. I live just up the road about a mile.