PDA

View Full Version : Tips for keeping hamstrings loose on rides?

MattTuck
06-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Is there anything you can do on the bike when hamstrings start to tighten? Or is the only recourse to stop, get off the bike and stretch them properly?

shovelhd
06-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Make sure that you are drinking regularly. Small sips every 5 minutes or so. Dehydration shows up first in my hamstrings, my right one in particular where I have scar tissue from a previous injury. It's the warning siren for me. If it goes off, drinking slightly larger sips every 2-3 minutes will make it go away.

crownjewelwl
06-08-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc-GnUUqVzE

MattTuck
06-08-2013, 09:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc-GnUUqVzE

That is something I did not have to see. lol.

I'll try to stay better hydrated. Thanks.

shovelhd
06-09-2013, 07:27 AM
As far as stretches are concerned, you can stretch on the bike, I just would not do this in the field during a race unless you are an accomplished racer.

For the affected leg, point your toe down, stand up, lock your knee, push your hips back, and lean forward slowly. Drop your heel to stretch the hamstring. It's basically what you would do if you were off the bike touching your toes.

MattTuck
06-09-2013, 07:34 AM
I try to do something similar, but can never get as good a stretch as when I get off the bike, put my leg on a waist high object and stretch it that way. It seems that whenever I hit a climb at moderate or higher intensity, they tighten right up.

I stretched for 15 minutes pre-ride yesterday to get them loose. Leaving the driveway, they felt really good, limber and loose. On the first hill, 1 mile from the driveway, they tightened up.

shovelhd
06-09-2013, 07:35 AM
This sounds like a fitting and/or injury issue. 5 minutes into the ride? Something's wrong.

woolly
06-09-2013, 10:55 AM
+10 on the hydration part. I have chronically tight hamstrings, and it took me a long time to figure out that my hydration levels made a big difference. Not a "silver bullet" cure-all, but a significant contributing factor for sure.

slidey
06-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Why not try a route, where the first hill or better still, said hill comes 30 minutes in? I'm *guessing* you need a much longer warm up, as dehydration isn't a factor at least in your cited case.

I stretched for 15 minutes pre-ride yesterday to get them loose. Leaving the driveway, they felt really good, limber and loose. On the first hill, 1 mile from the driveway, they tightened up.

MattTuck
06-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Why not try a route, where the first hill or better still, said hill comes 30 minutes in? I'm *guessing* you need a much longer warm up, as dehydration isn't a factor at least in your cited case.

Slidey, it is probably a combination of needing a longer warm up, having chronically tight hamstrings (I mean, they've always been tight, even when not biking much, and possibly also some dehydration.

I live within 200 yards of a river. and there are three ways I can go to leave the house. East, Up a big friggin' hill, South up a smaller hill or North, up a slightly smaller hill. Once a year, I'll ride up the big friggin' hill. All my other rides use the smaller hills. I've contacted the state of NH to lessen the grade, but have yet to receive a reply. ;)

I'd agree that a route with more warm up time would be better. Maybe I'll do a lap on the flat section of road between the North and South hills before any climbing, see if that helps.

slidey
06-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Haha...your geographic location is a (con)vexing problem, and mathematically your home is the solution. Ironic!

In any case, what kind of warmup do you do? I'd suggest pre- (as well as post-) ride massages involving the foam roller, and then small-ring toodling at high cadence before you hit either of the small hills.

Slidey, it is probably a combination of needing a longer warm up, having chronically tight hamstrings (I mean, they've always been tight, even when not biking much, and possibly also some dehydration.

I live within 200 yards of a river. and there are three ways I can go to leave the house. East, Up a big friggin' hill, South up a smaller hill or North, up a slightly smaller hill. Once a year, I'll ride up the big friggin' hill. All my other rides use the smaller hills. I've contacted the state of NH to lessen the grade, but have yet to receive a reply. ;)

I'd agree that a route with more warm up time would be better. Maybe I'll do a lap on the flat section of road between the North and South hills before any climbing, see if that helps.

regularguy412
06-09-2013, 04:34 PM
When I need to stretch a hamstring, I just slide off the saddle sort of to one side,, so that the nose of the saddle is pressing in on the affected area. Then I just 'sit down' on the nose of the saddle a bit harder,, putting most of my weight on it and allowing the painful area to relax. This usually only takes a few seconds, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, you'd be well advised not to do it in the middle of the pack as you are not able to pedal while performing this 'stretch'. I usually do this as I'm pulling back in to the end of the paceline after taking a pull.

Mike in AR:beer: