PDA

View Full Version : Daily commute in Oakland, CA - Thoughts? Suggestions?

InspectorGadget
06-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Mrs. Gadget and I dropped our 20 year old daughter off in the Oakland/Emeryville area last weekend for a 10 week internship with Kaiser Permanente. My daughter and I rode the 3.5 mile route from her Paradise Park neighborhood to the KP building at a very leisurely pace in 24 minutes. For those of you that know the area, we rode from 63rd Street > San Pablo Ave > 27th Street > Broadway > Webster Street, which seems to be the most direct route and much of it has a dedicated bike lane.

My daughter is a runner, not a rider. I have told her I feel like I've failed her as a father, but this summer gives me hope. For those you with inquiring minds, the bike she has is a beautiful, purple Miyata koga frame and fork with a mustache bar & one thumb shifter for the 8 speed XTR derailleur and single ring crank.

She is living with friends and we have friends up in Sonoma, but I am looking for suggestions on the don't miss things to do. As well as the don't do's or don't go there no matter what you do.

Thanks!

eddief
06-07-2013, 05:25 PM
as anywhere on the street will be a disappearing act. And as you know while Oakland Downtown is experiencing some growth and grooviness, all sorts of crime is happening big time. Please have her keep her wits about her as she enjoys her internship.

Not sure what suggestions you were requesting, but corn and cherry scones at the Cheeseboard in Berkeley's gourmet ghetto are to die for. Or up to Petaluma for beer and music at the Lagunitas Brewery. Or bocci ball and great wine at Preston Winery west of Healdsburg. Or IPA at Bear Republic in Healdsburg. Ok, I'll stop.

jtakeda
06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
I live in Oakland half way through that route.

#1 Never lock your frame and not your wheels. Ever, ever ever ever.

#2 don't leave your bike locked at BART for more than a few hours.

To the good stuff.
Really great food. +1 on cheeseboard.

10th and Webster has a banh mi spot. $2.50 for a great sandwich.

Nice parks. Tilden, wild cat and del Valle are awesome.

You can rent boats at del Valle.

Lagunitas brewery and the "ink wells" are nearby which is a nice swimming spot.

Just realized you wrote 20 year old. Scratch the brewery stuff.
So much more to do.

neiltron
06-08-2013, 11:24 AM
There's some great running trails up in the Berkeley and Oakland hills - check out Joaquin Miller Park and Tilden, both accessible by a bus that goes up there if she doesn't have a car.

She's probably already familiar with Actual Cafe at Alcatraz / San Pablo, which is a great bike-friendly coffee shop with indoor bike parking.

Temescal Alley at 49th / Telegraph (follow the signs for the Donuts and Barbershop) is a great little piece of Oakland tucked away, with lots of small independent shops. Nice place to hang out, have a cup of coffee and a donut (before they sell out).

There's lots of great Farmers Markets around Oakland. A good one is at the Claremont DMV parking lot up in Temescal (near Claremont / Telegraph), and Berkeley Bowl is very close to her. It's one of the best supermarkets you'll find with a huge produce selection, great bulk options (including bulk spices!). The bad: aisles that are too narrow for the wide shopping carts, madness on the weekends.

Oakland is a wonderful, vibrant city with lots to offer. However, a fair warning that your daughter is living in a city with a high crime rate and an overworked, understaffed police force. There's crazy people, gangs, drug dealers and gun violence. Just like any big city.

No matter where you are, even in a fancy neighborhood like Rockridge, you're still in Oakland. Property crime and muggings at gunpoint happen, and they increase in the Summer and around the Winter holidays. Violent crime tends to be targeted, concentrated in East Oakland but they can and do happen in all neighborhoods. I don't mean to scaremonger, but the best thing your daughter can do is be aware of her surroundings at all times.

She should lock her bike up well, including wheels as others have mentioned. Consider running a length of chain wrapped around her seat rails with the other end going around her seat stays. Wrap the chain in a piece of innertube to protect the frame. Keep your front and back doors locked at all times at your house. Consider a home alarm system, they are cheap and provide peace of mind and make a good deterrent. The traditional Oakland home alarm system is at least 2 mean, neglected pitbulls that bark all day and night.

And be extra aware at night. Learn the streets with good bike lanes, the other main thoroughfares are just plain unpleasant to ride on (Claremont, upper San Pablo, Telegraph north of 40th, Broadway) and there's often a good bike lane just one or two blocks parallel. The East Bay Bike Coalition has a great map of bike trails.

Tip Top Bike Shop at Telegraph / 45th is a fantastic local neighborhood shop and close to where your daughter is staying. Richard and Charlotte are warm, wonderful folks.

alexstar
06-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Meal Ticket is a fantastic little restaurant: 1235 San Pablo Ave at Gilman.

http://www.mealticketrestaurant.com/

There is so much to do, see, and eat in the Bay Area that I'm kind of at a loss on where to start. There are some great recommendations in this thread. As mentioned, parts of Oakland are not the safest but it really changes quickly, sometimes within a couple of blocks.

InspectorGadget
06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I'd be less than honest (and a monster) if I said I was unconcerned about my daughter's surroundings. On a more positive note, I am amazed at all the things to do, places to see and wide variety of dining options.

Keeping in mind that I live in a resort town of around 8000 full-time residents, it's easy to be wide-eyed when in a big city.

Thank you, I will pass your suggestions along to my daughter.

cnighbor1
06-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I am in walnut creek If she want to ride in a less traffic area come out by BART and try my area. I will show her some nice routes
charles

CheshireCat
06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
I live near that area. Bike theft is rampant, so make sure and use a good U-lock or combo of U and Chain (what I use for my custom bike)

this being said Kaiser may have some special facility to park bikes for the staff as they do try and encourage their employees to ride.

Just watch out for broken glass. Being on a bike is actually the safest way to travel around oakland. The ne'er do wells like preying on cars via carjacking or people walking to and from BART. On a bike, you're just a little too fast for them to bother catching.

There was actually a good point raised at the BART meeting that not banning bikes on bart would drastically cut down on assaults on women in the late hours within walking distance of the bart station.

Most of the time they just want your iphone, but still good to know.

Bikes = safety here. I've seen some situations take place and because I was just a guy in bike shorts I obviously wasn't worth bothering and couldn't be hiding anything of value in the skinsuit.

It doesn't help that my bike is a color that makes it unattractive to thieves.

PM me if you want any help on routes. Always down to help a fellow oaklandrian get around this fair city.

roydyates
06-10-2013, 07:36 PM
another vote for the cheeseboard in N Berkeley.

jtakeda
06-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Almost forgot. One thing that's really cool (at least to me) is the Albany "bulb" aka the land fill.

Cool little trails to bike or run on and at the end (maybe a mile or so) there's some really cool art. Sculptures, paintings, a small castle it's really quite neat.

shovelhd
06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
My daughter is a runner, not a rider. I have told her I feel like I've failed her as a father

You have, but we forgive you.