PDA

View Full Version : RustyLion and LeMond

LegendRider
06-06-2013, 07:17 PM
This picture was posted on Serotta's Facebook page - Bill Watkins and a 17 year old Greg LeMond at the front of the 1979 Nevada City Classic. The podium was reversed -- LeMond then Watkins.

shovelhd
06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
That's not at the front, that's off the front.

LegendRider
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
That's not at the front, that's off the front.

You're right - "off the front" is a better way to describe what's going down...

pbarry
06-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Awesome! True street cred, Bill. :hello:

The list of those who placed below the young GL ,while he was still an amateur, includes most if not all of the top U.S. Senior Men's riders of the day. Iirc, as a 17 year old, GL was riding in the 1/2/Pro fields on Junior gears with a 93 inch gear limit.

Steve in SLO
06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Great shot.
IIRC, that's the year GL really came into his own and cleaned up. A friend of mine, who placed 3rd in the 1977 race, said that when GL came up the Jr ranks, he was a game changer.

Louis
06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
The podium was reversed -- LeMond then Watkins.

Probably because LeMond had been sucking Bill's wheel all day long... ;)

Steve in SLO
06-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Probably because LeMond had been sucking Bill's wheel all day long... ;)

Well, that makes a good story, but from the Nevada City Classic website:

The 19th Annual “Classic” saw the emergence of the dominant force in American Cycling through the change of the decades. Greg LeMond, of Reno, Nevada was winning everything in sight, including a gold and bronze medal at the World Championships. He dominated the Nevada City field, becoming only the second junior ever to win the senior race. Greg did it with a mid-race tear that quickly dropped the field. Army Lieutenant Bill Watkins was 2nd, nearly a minute behind the winner.

rnhood
06-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Good picture. Nice seeing riders that look healthy, even in the upper body. Contrast that to today's riders, who typically look straggly and anorexic.

pbarry
06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Good picture. Nice seeing riders that look healthy, even in the upper body. Contrast that to today's riders, who typically look straggly and anorexic.

And climbing!

Cheers

soulspinner
06-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Great shot.
IIRC, that's the year GL really came into his own and cleaned up. A friend of mine, who placed 3rd in the 1977 race, said that when GL came up the Jr ranks, he was a game changer.

When he was 18 I was struggling to achieve a 21:30 10 mile time trial (no aero bars, helmets or wheels then). When he popped a sub 19 minute ride( if ridden where I live it would still stand as the record)) I made sure my day job was secure:p. He was a rare talent for sure.

ergott
06-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Army Lieutenant Bill Watkins was 2nd, nearly a minute behind the winner.

I wouldn't mind finishing a minute behind any pro.

Black Dog
06-07-2013, 09:54 AM

Me too, but Greg was a amateur junior at the time! :eek:

Serious V02 Max.

mike p
06-07-2013, 10:06 AM
OMG! Seriously! Very tough bunch here. I guess half of you here have a pic of yourself in front of GL? If I did I'd be blown up and hanging in my living room...junior or not I could care less!

Mike

Me too, but Greg was a amateur junior at the time! :eek:

Serious V02 Max.

54ny77
06-07-2013, 10:07 AM
i know a couple guys who in the day were among the top u.s. amateurs (pro's, really, but back then being pro just about meant getting a free set of toe straps every now & then). they always said lemond was in another league entirely, even as a young teen. definitely a once in a generation kind of guy.

it would be really something if cycling was a more mainstream sport. there's certainly more of those genetically gifted out there.

Len J
06-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Every once in a while you get a close up view of how much better than good, great really is.

I'd love to hear RustyLion's reflection on what he felt after the teenager beat him.

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Keith A
06-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Very cool. BTW, it looks like Lemond is on a Raleigh and the guy behind him is possibly riding a Trek. But I can't figure out what Bill is riding...anyone know?

texbike
06-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Very cool. BTW, it looks like Lemond is on a Raleigh and the guy behind him is possibly riding a Trek. But I can't figure out what Bill is riding...anyone know?

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like a Cinelli "Flying C" on the headtube...

Texbike

54ny77
06-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Centurion, or maybe Colnago?

MattTuck
06-07-2013, 10:45 AM
You guys should be working for the FBI's photo forensics division :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
06-07-2013, 10:47 AM
OMG! Seriously! Very tough bunch here. I guess half of you here have a pic of yourself in front of GL? If I did I'd be blown up and hanging in my living room...junior or not I could care less!

Mike

. . . I have Photoshop and could make this happen--for the right price! :p

BBD

slidey
06-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't think appreciating LeMond's juggernaut is discounting Bill's talent and/or ability. LeMond, even as a junior, was more than the pro/1/2 peloton of the day could handle - it is what it is.

Mike

enr1co
06-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Lemond confirms using a Raleigh bike when riding for Avocet/Palo Alto Cycling Club in this interview:

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/oralhistory/lemond.html

Black Dog
06-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Mike

What are you going on about? Nothing harsh in what I said. I was just commenting on how very good GL was at such a young age, not how bad anyone else was. I would be very happy to have a photo like that. Finishing 2nd to GL is not a small thing. Please re-read my comment. I seriously was complimenting GL and rust lion and not casting any derision on rusty lion.

Pete Mckeon
06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
:banana:Very cool. BTW, it looks like Lemond is on a Raleigh and the guy behind him is possibly riding a Trek. But I can't figure out what Bill is riding...anyone know?

christian
06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Yeah, Bill was on a Serotta in 1977:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/serotta/6996678896/

christian
06-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Here's the early (1975) head badge:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=92014&stc=1&d=1331093841

mike p
06-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Apologies for getting it wrong. I thought it sounded like a couple post were critical that... yeah Bill couldn't even handle GL as a junior. Again sorry I misinterpreted.

Mike

What are you going on about? Nothing harsh in what I said. I was just commenting on how very good GL was at such a young age, not how bad anyone else was. I would be very happy to have a photo like that. Finishing 2nd to GL is not a small thing. Please re-read my comment. I seriously was complimenting GL and rust lion and not casting any derision on rusty lion.

mike p
06-07-2013, 12:43 PM
That's one large frame!

Mike

Yeah, Bill was on a Serotta in 1977:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/serotta/6996678896/

bobswire
06-07-2013, 12:45 PM

The misconception was the other guys. It was pretty obvious your intent Daryl, no explanation needed,especially when taken in full context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott:
Then you post,
Me too, but Greg was a amateur junior at the time! .....ergo "extraordinary!"
Serious V02 Max. Very serious :banana:

victoryfactory
06-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Very cool photo, thanks for posting
btw, not many people beat GL in those days
VF

fiamme red
06-07-2013, 12:54 PM
From an interview with Dave Perry, the owner of my LBS:

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2006/dave-perry

...I'm five years older than Greg. He said I looked younger than him. Considering the pre-mature aging of Tour de France war veterans, the way I figure, he looks pretty good.

I'm one of the lucky ones to have ridden in the bike race that went by Greg LeMond's family home, near Carson, Nevada, that inspired him to join the peloton. We saw him at his first race. His family brought him in their VW camper van from race to
race, win to win. Suddenly all us former Senior Slayers became slayed seniors.

As a teenager Greg was a blossom, his blond attitude and fresh power was amazing. His father, Bob LeMond, also got hooked on bike racing and became a Cat 1 master threat. Greg was nurtured by the support of his family, the Reno club with Roland Della Santa bikes, and the Northern California cycling scene.

In my last race, the Vuelta de Bisbee, Greg raced with Cat 1 as a junior. In the TT he blew by me like a rocket. That was it. Greg was part the reason I quit chasing the goal of being a professional cyclist. How could I be in league with this kid?

Greg didn't show any anger as a youth. What makes his career special is his good sportsmanship. He overcame so many tricky obstacles.

malcolm
06-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Every once in a while you get a close up view of how much better than good, great really is.

I'd love to hear RustyLion's reflection on what he felt after the teenager beat him.

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is completely off topic but Len's post made me remember seeing Greg Louganis dive back in the early '80s and it was almost like watching two different sports. He was head and shoulders above everyone else and it was an Olympic trial.

rustylion
06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
A Serotta Club Special.

It was the 3rd or 4th bike that Ben made for me.

In that day, I was his "big gun" racer although very soon afterwards he got the USA's best and greatest on his bikes. I can only claim to be the first but surely not the best!

A Serotta, of course. Or, maybe you knew that already and were just joshing me..... :-)

Thanks.

texbike
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
A Serotta Club Special.

It was the 3rd or 4th bike that Ben made for me.

In that day, I was his "big gun" racer although very soon afterwards he got the USA's best and greatest on his bikes. I can only claim to be the first but surely not the best!

A Serotta, of course. Or, maybe you knew that already and were just joshing me..... :-)

Thanks.

Very cool!

Texbike

Keith A
06-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Bill -- Thanks for the info.

bobswire
06-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Another iconic image.

http://i49.tinypic.com/33bi980.jpg