PDA

View Full Version : OT: June 6, D-Day

572cv
06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
I just wanted to make note of a day that is fading into history, but was important to many of our parents, and to the country. We sent a lot of guys into the maw of Normandy, and those who survived are also now fading from our midst. Next year will get more attention, as it will be the 70th anniversary, but each one is meaningful.

So, to anyone with a connection, chapeau.

Jeff N.
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
There was never any war in history with a more clear-cut reason behind it. God bless them all. Jeff N.

93legendti
06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Day of Days

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/e68a0ed2.jpg

From the cemetery where my Father is buried...

MattTuck
06-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I would very much like to go visit the cemeteries and monuments to the US soldiers that died in Europe in World War I and II.

93legendti
06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/aa023f53.jpg

The cemetery where my Father is buried has a section for soldiers killed in action, or even just people who once served. I am thrilled that my children always insist on walking thru that section whenever we go to the cemetery.

johnmdesigner
06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I remember visiting some of the "white cross" cemeteries when I was driving in northern France. It was an overwhelming experience for me. Time stopped when I walked through the gate.

I can see General Grant's tomb from my window and Washington retreated from the British using the valley in front of my building.

Sometimes you are overwhelmed by your petty problems and forget all those who sacrificed for you. I try to think of them everyday.

HenryA
06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Thank you for marking this day.
Take a few minutes and watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIqdcHbc8I

MattTuck
06-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Just heard on the radio that there's an effort to put off shore wind farms near some of the Normandy beaches (near being 16 miles, if I heard correctly). There's a group trying to limit the off shore farms arguing it will disrupt the sanctity of the cemeteries and monuments.

93legendti
06-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Just heard on the radio that there's an effort to put off shore wind farms near some of the Normandy beaches (near being 16 miles, if I heard correctly). There's a group trying to limit the off shore farms arguing it will disrupt the sanctity of the cemeteries and monuments.

Is nothing sacred? I was there in the early 70's....it seemed so quiet and peaceful...

phcollard
06-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Yes it was several decades ago but believe me in the heart of an European (my age at least) it's absolutely not fading into history. I visited the beaches in Normandy many times, as well as other battlegrounds and every time the same feelings : between sadness, admiration, thankfulness for all those who fought for freedom. There is also an American Military Cemetery near my previous place in Belgium that I visited every year to pay homage to the US soldiers. I'll never forget...

93legendti
06-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Yes it was several decades ago but believe me in the heart of an European (my age at least) it's absolutely not fading into history. I visited the beaches in Normandy many times, as well as other battlegrounds and every time the same feelings : between sadness, admiration, thankfulness for all those who fought for freedom. There is also an American Military Cemetery near my previous place in Belgium that I visited every year to pay homage to the US soldiers. I'll never forget...

Thank you. My Father fought in the Battle of the Bulge...he didn't talk much about it, although he did say he was scared every day of the War.

572cv
06-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks to all of you who posted on this thread. I am moved by the sacrifice of your forebearers, and your thoughtful reminiscences.

93legendti
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Thank you for starting the thread.

I wish Band of Brothers was on tonight...

metalheart
06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
I am moved by our forefathers who did what they had to do, often at a very young age. And, those sacrifices continued in Korea, Vietnam, Central America, and later Panama, Grenada, Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan, and other unknown sacrifices in unknown places. We carry a burden to remember those dates or loose our heart as a nation. Bless them all who did what they needed to do .... On June 6, 1944, my Dad was on a destroyer (USS Patterson, DD 392( in the Pacific participating in the Marianas campaign.

MattTuck
06-06-2013, 10:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/scout71/D-Day-1.jpg

Ken Robb
06-06-2013, 10:24 PM
After the war Ike wrote "Crusade in Europe" which was made into a TV series in the early 1950's. It was so successful that it was followed by "Victory at Sea" which had the wonderful musical score by Richard Rogers.

Both of these were largely compilations of real action films taken by Army, Marine and Navy combat photographers during the battles.

Joe
06-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks to all of you who posted on this thread. I am moved by the sacrifice of your forebearers, and your thoughtful reminiscences.

Likewise...thanks to all who noted this very significant day and remembered the sacrifices that were made for our freedom.

soulspinner
06-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Ive tried to put myself in my fathers shoes. Going to combat in a strange land with no idea what you will encounter. I asked my dad about combat and all he will say is he survived by being proficient with the rifle and .45 on his hip. He admits he was afraid and when he returned my mom said he had real shell shock reactions to fire stations, alarms,jet planes etc. This was Korea, going to Normandie where the enemy was waiting for you and shot down at you as you got off the barge? Seems the essence of heroic.

93legendti
06-07-2013, 06:30 AM
I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I wished I had asked more questions before my Father died.

The only descriptive stories he told where how he and his buddies came upon the abandoned Rolleiflex factory; how he learned to drink coffee for all night marches during basic training; how his M-1 slipped and split his lip during basic training and how he surprised his younger sister at school in his uniform when he got back home. But nothing about landing in Europe, the Battle of the Bulge or how he liberated a German pistol...

Seramount
06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
when I was a kid, I asked my dad what he did in the war. he said he was on a ship in the Pacific...

cool! an aircraft carrier, a battleship, a heavy cruiser, a destroyer...? when he said no, I kinda tuned out and didn't pursue getting any further details. he never volunteered any info until I was in my 40s.

while he didn't see much combat, he had some interesting stories...

he served on an LST (Landing Ship, Tank) and was in charge of the sickbay. said when they were readying the ship for sea, he got chewed out by the captain for signing for medical stores using the ship's designation and not his initials...but, when it was explained that LST are his initials, the capt. changed his story and said he should have signed using his name. can't win...

near Papua New Guinea, they anchored offshore...the next morning the ship was surrounded by native tribesmen in dugout canoes who were severely pissed off and actually threw a spear or two at the steel hull.

he's 91 now and can remember almost all of the officer's names, the types of armaments onboard, the length and displacement of the ship, etc...unfortunately, his dementia prevents him from knowing what day it is or what he had for lunch an hour prior.

here's a picture I found recently of his ship being launched at the Pittsburg Naval Shipyard in a blizzard...

Jeff N.
06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Hitler. Himmler. Heydrich. Eichmann. Goering. Streicher. Goebbels. Hess. Hoess. Pohl. Bormann. Dietrich. Kaltenbrunner. Historians are baffled at how there could be a collection of men like this at the same place, same time...myself included. Sure glad we wasted these sumbitches. May they be burning eternally in hell as I write this. Jeff N.

Ken Robb
06-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Hitler. Himmler. Heydrich. Eichmann. Goering. Streicher. Goebbels. Hess. Hoess. Pohl. Bormann. Dietrich. Kaltenbrunner. Historians are baffled at how there could be a collection of men like this at the same place, same time...myself included. Sure glad we wasted these sumbitches. May they be burning eternally in hell as I write this. Jeff N.

"birds of a feather flock together"?

malcolm
06-07-2013, 03:36 PM
As the men and women that participated in that war pass away we need to make a special effort to remember. Not to take away anything from the American effort which was huge, but we need to remember the people of central and eastern Europe who endured suffering we can only imagine at the hands of both sides and in many cases continued until the late '80s early '90s. We need to be ever vigilant to never allow such atrocity again. If I recall correctly something like 2.5 % of the earth's population was killed/died and over half civilians.

93legendti
06-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Don't forget Mengele.

The man who led the operation that nabbed Eichmann in Argentina, Rafi Eitan, is the business partner of my wife's uncle. Her uncle has the rights to Eitan's amazing life story. Should be a fascinating read...

cromo900
06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
My Great Uncle was a RCAF gunner on a RAF Lancaster. His plane was shot down by a German fighter and he is buried in Genk, Belgium. We visited the cemetery a few days after watching the 2010 Paris-Roubaix. The area where the RAF crew is buried and the large section for Russian soldiers are both maintained to a high standard. Seeing that all eight crew members were 21 or younger was an incredible reminder of the sacrifices young people make in war.

Len J
06-07-2013, 04:29 PM
My father went in D-day +6, 15 days after his high school graduation....think about that.

He was a forward infantry observer (FIO) for the 283rd field artillery battalion. For those who don't know what that is, before GPS, the way artillery was zeroed on to a target was by having FIO's within visual range of the target, firing test shots, radioing back adjustments on the spot until the test shots hit, and then letting loose. It was one of the most dangerous jobs in the war.

The 283rd held or holds several combat records from WW II,

- 268 continuous days in combat.
- 4,241 combat miles
- fought in every major battle in the war.
- were attached to every army in the European theatre at one time during the war.
- moved the entire battalion 300 miles overnight, over a mountain range, in a blizzard and were active at dawn. The longest movement ever by land of an artillery battalion.
- liberated Dachau & Baden Baden <br />

My dad missed 8 days of those 268 days because of a shrapnel wound incurred saving his commander while operating within 50 yards of a target. He was decorated with a Purple Heart, 2 bronze stars w oak leaf clusters, and a silver star.

We never knew the entire story until after he died. I heard the texture of the story from his commander after discovering his silver star after his death.

I once offered to take him to Europe to tour his path...he looked at me like I had 2 heads....."why would I want to relive that!"

His best friend told me once that he was never the same after the war.....his laugh was gone, the light was gone.

Lots of hidden sacrifices and victims from that war.

It's good we remember.

Len

93legendti
06-07-2013, 05:22 PM
My father went in D-day +6, 15 days after his high school graduation....think about that.

He was a forward infantry observer (FIO) for the 283rd field artillery battalion. For those who don't know what that is, before GPS, the way artillery was zeroed on to a target was by having FIO's within visual range of the target, firing test shots, radioing back adjustments on the spot until the test shots hit, and then letting loose. It was one of the most dangerous jobs in the war.

The 283rd held or holds several combat records from WW II,

- 268 continuous days in combat.
- 4,241 combat miles
- fought in every major battle in the war.
- were attached to every army in the European theatre at one time during the war.
- moved the entire battalion 300 miles overnight, over a mountain range, in a blizzard and were active at dawn. The longest movement ever by land of an artillery battalion.
- liberated Dachau & Baden Baden <br />

My dad missed 8 days of those 268 days because of a shrapnel wound incurred saving his commander while operating within 50 yards of a target. He was decorated with a Purple Heart, 2 bronze stars w oak leaf clusters, and a silver star.

We never knew the entire story until after he died. I heard the texture of the story from his commander after discovering his silver star after his death.

I once offered to take him to Europe to tour his path...he looked at me like I had 2 heads....."why would I want to relive that!"

His best friend told me once that he was never the same after the war.....his laugh was gone, the light was gone.

Lots of hidden sacrifices and victims from that war.

It's good we remember.

Len
Wow. Thanks for sharing.

93legendti
06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Today is the 71st anniversary of the US's huge naval victory at Midway, which changed the course of the War in the Pacific.

The sacrifices and heroics of these sailors should be remembered...

http://www.history.navy.mil/Midway/Battle-of-Midway-Overview.html

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/wwii-pac/midway/midway.htm

Jeff N.
06-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Today is the 71st anniversary of the US's huge naval victory at Midway, which changed the course of the War in the Pacific.

The sacrifices and heroics of these sailors should be remembered...

http://www.history.navy.mil/Midway/Battle-of-Midway-Overview.html

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/wwii-pac/midway/midway.htmThe Naval Training Center here in San Diego, which trained so many Navy recruits and sent them off to war during WW2, was closed years ago. I was just at the new Stone Brewery out there. Fabulous place, built into the old chow hall..... but man, I'll tell ya, call me crazy, but I could feel the "ghosts"! (Or maybe it was just too much Ruination IPA...) Jeff N.

93legendti
06-08-2013, 10:48 AM
My Great Uncle was a RCAF gunner on a RAF Lancaster. His plane was shot down by a German fighter and he is buried in Genk, Belgium. We visited the cemetery a few days after watching the 2010 Paris-Roubaix. The area where the RAF crew is buried and the large section for Russian soldiers are both maintained to a high standard. Seeing that all eight crew members were 21 or younger was an incredible reminder of the sacrifices young people make in war.

Wow. Those crew members were all incredibly brave.

giverdada
06-08-2013, 11:02 AM
it's so easy to do so much of the time, but i think that one of the biggest crimes we can do is to take any of our life/freedom/good fortune for granted, after it was so hard won by so many willing to make the ultimate sacrifice that we may live better. chapeau indeed. and thank you, to all.

Elefantino
06-06-2019, 07:33 AM
Bringing back this thread today.

Normandy is an incredible place. Spectacular and solemn. When you stand on the bluffs overlooking Omaha you think about the young men who ran into that meatgrinder of German fire. Many of them are buried in the American cemetery, which is a place beyond words.

We all live in the shadow of their heroism.

Matthew
06-06-2019, 08:00 AM
Thanks for bringing this back Elefantino. Such a sobering thread. My Grandfather was on a PT boat that was sunk in WWII. Lost over half of the crew. He didn't talk much about the war but my wife and I were fascinated by his stories. I type this with tears in my eyes, not only for him but for all of the incredible hero's from all of the nation's that fought against evil. To all veterans, thank you. I hope your sacrifices are never lost on the future generations. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with bikes. Yet it is one of my favorites. Matthew

Jeff N.
06-06-2019, 08:01 AM

Normandy is an incredible place. Spectacular and solemn. When you stand on the bluffs overlooking Omaha you think about the young men who ran into that meatgrinder of German fire. Many of them are buried in the American cemetery, which is a place beyond words.

We all live in the shadow of their heroism.An unforgettable experience for sure. Wish I was there today.

wooly
06-06-2019, 08:12 AM
I would very much like to go visit the cemeteries and monuments to the US soldiers that died in Europe in World War I and II.

Heading there next month with my wife and sons. Can not wait. Was there 5 years ago with my wife and it was awe inspiring.

cloudguy
06-06-2019, 09:17 AM
Heading there next month with my wife and sons. Can not wait. Was there 5 years ago with my wife and it was awe inspiring.

Just don't act like this:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/laura-ingraham-cemetery-laugh_n_5cf883f0e4b0638bdfa47346

572cv
06-06-2019, 09:31 AM

We all live in the shadow of their heroism.

Thanks for bringing this back, Elefantino. There are small memorials all over France which honor even individual American servicemen who fought, and died, in WW2, often where they fell. Sometimes they are just beside the road at a pull off, and there is usually a story to go with it, describing the action. The French still remember the sacrifice of all the soldiers. Someday soon, we'll go up to Normandy, as we are over there more often. I was at Arlington at the end of May and it was, as always, a moving place.

FlashUNC
06-06-2019, 09:55 AM
https://www.archives.gov/files/historical-docs/doc-content/images/ww2-eisenhower-d-day-order-l.jpg

redir
06-06-2019, 09:55 AM
My grandfather and name sake was a Major in Patten's 3rd Army, a Quartermaster who came in right after D-Day. He didn't talk much about it but when he did he had some stories.

Elefantino
06-06-2019, 10:04 AM
http://www.nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/photocritic/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Capa-detail-CS-frame-9-neg-37-Pfc.-Huston-Riley-Landing-on-Omaha-Beach-Large-file.jpg

redir
06-06-2019, 10:41 AM
bah tried to post an image and cant

rustychisel
06-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Image is posted okay... respect to your grandfather.

But please, 3rd Army was commanded by Patton (y'know, like peloton with the 'o').

My father was there on 6th June: in the air in a RAF Lancaster (582 Sqn PFF) bombing coastal defense batteries. They flew three operations from 0400hrs on that day.

pbarry
06-06-2019, 09:31 PM
Here's a few pieces heard today.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/andy-rooney-on-world-war-ii-d-day-a-day-unlike-any-other-60-minutes-2019-06-06/

This one sounds like fiction but was all too real: https://www.npr.org/2019/06/06/730126155/at-98-d-day-veteran-medic-returns-to-normandy-to-remember-a-generations-sacrific

wooly
06-07-2019, 12:53 AM
Just don't act like this:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/laura-ingraham-cemetery-laugh_n_5cf883f0e4b0638bdfa47346

Unnecessary

robertbb
06-07-2019, 01:03 AM
I'm a first generation Australian of Russian descent, mid 30's, Jewish. My family copped it hard through the war and I grew up with mind-blowing stories from the Eastern front. Further from "home", footage of D-Day and in particular Eisenhower's letter brings tears to my eyes.

Thank you America. I ****ing love your guts out and I always will.

rustychisel
06-07-2019, 01:31 AM

Dear puzzled citizenry,

In Australia this phrase counts as a protestation of undying fondness. High praise indeed.

Black Dog
06-07-2019, 06:04 AM
I'm a first generation Australian of Russian descent, mid 30's, Jewish. My family copped it hard through the war and I grew up with mind-blowing stories from the Eastern front. Further from "home", footage of D-Day and in particular Eisenhower's letter brings tears to my eyes.

Just to respect all of those that gave so much and more. There were many nations that participated in D-day and beyond. Not to take away from the great contributions of our American cousins.

alancw3
06-07-2019, 06:57 AM
I just finished reading "The Storm on Our Shores" about Attu Island in the northern pacific, Alaska's most western island. a great read along the same subject of wwII.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Storm_on_Our_Shores.html?id=JFJXAgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

Elefantino
06-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Just to respect all of those that gave so much and more. There were many nations that participated in D-day and beyond. Not to take away from the great contributions of our American cousins.

Absolutely. My wife's uncle participated in both Operation Jubilee (Dieppe, 1942) and Overlord (Juno). He survived.

Bruce K
06-07-2019, 08:57 AM
My father landed on D+5 as part of what would become the Redball Express.

His best friend jumped with the 101st Airborne ultimately ended up at Bastogne.

Both survived.

BK

CDRB
06-07-2019, 10:00 AM
I am very fortunate to be a Veterans Services Officer in Massachusetts. Honored these two gentlemen yesterday. They were on Omaha Beach 75 years ago. Landing Craft Tank (LCT) coxswain and AAA 90 mm gun crew machine gunner. “We just did what we had to do, nothing special”. Love this generation that will be gone too soon :-(