PDA

View Full Version : OT: GMAT Prep

Dude
06-06-2013, 03:01 PM
So I'm about to take the leap into leaping into B school. Knowing me, I need to take a course. I'm not an "just go through every problem in the book" learner, I am definitely hands on.

I don't have the time to go to a class and in some ways I prefer online courses (prerecorded, watch on my own schedule), that is the direction I am leaning towards.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the online courses (Barrons, Kaplan, Princeton Review, Magoosh, Gmax, etc)? Obviously price is a factor though I understand it's not cheap.

Any thoughts or experiences? TIA

ryker
06-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Isn't a test prep class a scam? I think looking at a book to familiarize yourself with the format of the test and questions is probably enough. Worked for me (97%). I guess I didn't answer your question very well and maybe fail this test. ;)

MattTuck
06-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I can't speak to the courses you're asking about, because I just bought a few books and did every problem in them. I had quite the elaborate spreadsheet in which I kept track of how long each question took, every one I got wrong and then drilled myself on the ones I had trouble with.

That worked for me, though I understand it is not for everyone. :help:

Give me a shout if you want to talk about MBA programs. Are you thinking executive MBA? part-time? full-time? residential?

Dude
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Part time, 1-2 classes per semester. Part of this is hinging on tuition reimbursement from work.

azrider
06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Part time, 1-2 classes per semester. Part of this is hinging on tuition reimbursement from work.

Dammit......was about to tell you not to and how it's waste of time/money then you threw this out there.......good luck dude.

yngpunk
06-06-2013, 03:51 PM
I can't speak to the courses you're asking about, because I just bought a few books and did every problem in them. I had quite the elaborate spreadsheet in which I kept track of how long each question took, every one I got wrong and then drilled myself on the ones I had trouble with.

That worked for me, though I understand it is not for everyone. :help:

Give me a shout if you want to talk about MBA programs. Are you thinking executive MBA? part-time? full-time? residential?

At a mimimum, get the "official" book from GMAC who admisters the test and contains actual questions and answers from prior tests. Take several of the tests to identify what areas/concepts you are weak on and then develop a plan to strengthen those weak points.

I think test prep courses try to focus on methodology and tips and tricks, but are often lacking in the basic concepts behind the questions. A good algebra and geometry book to stengthen your mathematical ability and a book (or course) on grammar would be helpful as well. If you really want to take a class, look at classes at the local community college in areas that you're weak in. May feel strange at first, but I believe that the key to success on the GMAT or any other standardized test is getting familar with the concepts behind the questions.

Also, a writing class might be useful as well...don't know if the GMAT still has a written portion, but a writing class would hopefully help with your grammar and your admission essays.

Hope this helps.

Louis
06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Some ideas based on my experience getting an MBA (not related to your question, but I figured I’d toss this into the mix)

I’d recommend doing it if 1) it’s directly related to your work and will help your skills & career, or 2) you are thinking hard about making a jump to a job where (1) will apply. I did it somewhat for kicks (also, there was a woman involved, but there’s no need to rehash all that here) and did very well academically, because to be honest, it wasn’t that hard, but as far as my career is concerned (I’m an engineer) it was a colossal waste of time.

I did learn lots of interesting little things, like figuring out NPV, how to price options, that some types of accounting can be really, really boring, some types of marketing can be fun etc. etc; but knowing what I know now, I’m pretty sure that I would have spent that time (and my company’s money, since they paid for 100% of the tuition and books) differently.

YMMV

yngpunk
06-06-2013, 05:23 PM
So I'm about to take the leap into leaping into B school. Knowing me, I need to take a course. I'm not an "just go through every problem in the book" learner, I am definitely hands on.

I don't have the time to go to a class and in some ways I prefer online courses (prerecorded, watch on my own schedule), that is the direction I am leaning towards.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the online courses (Barrons, Kaplan, Princeton Review, Magoosh, Gmax, etc)? Obviously price is a factor though I understand it's not cheap.

Any thoughts or experiences? TIA

One additional comment:

I interviewed to be an instructor for one of the larger test prep outfits, and the main criteria used in evaluation (other than having a high score to be considered) was your ability to teach others how to solve problems, whether it be for the GMAT, MCAT, GRE. What surprised me the most was the number of people teaching the GMAT or other test who didn't go to grad school for that particular subject, but had the ability to communicate concepts.

There are many ways to approach solving an algebra equation, but the method taught by a particular company may not be the most intuitive for you, so may not be the best way to learn concepts.

Another thought is that since you're considering online, I think that the GMAC also offers an electronic version of their prior tests so you can practice as you would if you were taking the test in person. Might help provide some of the study discipline you're looking for.

Another option may be to look for a study partner/group

As they say, your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

moose8
06-07-2013, 08:23 AM
In my experience these tests can completely be studied for if you do every question over and over until you get a hang of what they are. I took a Kaplan course back when I went to grad school and it completely paid off, but the real difference I think came not necessarily from the course, but just doing endless hours of the fake exams, focusing on the parts I didn't get. Questions I got wrong I would go over until I understood what the answer was supposed to be. I was kind of amazed at how much it could be studied for. I'd also recommend a bit of brisk exercise before taking the test - for me it really cleared my head and sharpened my thinking for the test.

The question of whether to actually go to school is a whole other matter, but strictly speaking about these tests, I'd say use your time now studying for the payoff later.

MattTuck
06-07-2013, 08:27 AM
I'll add one thing to preparing for the GMAT.

It is a computer adaptive test, so the better you're doing, the harder the questions are getting. There is a certain psychological trauma that occurs when you get like 5 questions in a row and are really struggling with them. You have to remember that it either means you're doing very poorly or doing very well.

Dude
06-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm heading out today to get a book on it, I'll see how that goes.