PDA

View Full Version : IF Crown Jewel: ti v. steel

Bkat
06-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Anyone ride the steel version and the titanium version? Curious to hear a side-by-side comparison on whether they feel the titanium is worth the extra $ or the money is better spent on something practical, like a cool paint scheme!

avalonracing
06-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Anyone ride the steel version and the titanium version? Curious to hear a side-by-side comparison on whether they feel the titanium is worth the extra $ or the money is better spent on something practical, like a cool paint scheme!

Steel rusts. Steel dents more easily. Paint scratches and chips.

Go Ti!

uber
06-06-2013, 09:57 AM
I have not ridden these two frames. I prefer the ride of steel as it feels
a bit snappier and immediate. Ti has a wonderful plush feel to it and will
not rust. Truth is you need one of each!!! If I were riding all the time in
rain and poor road conditions, or i were doing very long distances,I would choose Ti. If given a choice on a nice day, I usually prefer steel.

excel1959
06-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Go SSR, steel & no rust. Absolutely love mine going on 5 years.

pdmtong
06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
if you can ride a 56.5 eTT I am selling my SSR f/f

the bottle ride
06-06-2013, 12:25 PM
I have had both- and currently have a steel deluxe and a Ti deluxe (and have had both Ti and steel planet crosses) and both bike materials have merit.

I like steel for the harder efforts- sprints etc- but prefer the "road feel" of Ti.

I still have my Ti crown jewel but I miss the snap of the steel. And I think steel mtb's ride better than ti- just a little stiffer.

Either way you won't be disappointed- Indy fab makes great bikes.

My 2 cents.

spamjoshua
06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
However to restate: Builders, IF, etc. will provide what you want.

If you want an uber stiff Ti bike, they will build you one.

My Ti IF is wonderfully stiff, and so is my Corvid.

As for rust... My understanding is that it can be a concern, even with basic maintenance, 20-25 years out...

wink. wink.

avalonracing
06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
However to restate: Builders, IF, etc. will provide what you want.

If you want an uber stiff Ti bike, they will build you one.

My Ti IF is wonderfully stiff, and so is my Corvid.

As for rust... My understanding is that it can be a concern, even with basic maintenance, 20-25 years out...

wink. wink.

My Ti Seven MTB is super-stiff. As for my Ti road bikes, I've had flexible Ti like my old Legend Ti but my Merlin Works CR is super-smooth with no noticeable flex or whip. So, what I (some of us) are getting at is, it depends on the bike and the instructions to the builders.

Bkat
06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
My Ti Seven MTB is super-stiff. As for my Ti road bikes, I've had flexible Ti like my old Legend Ti but my Merlin Works CR is super-smooth with no noticeable flex or whip. So, what I (some of us) are getting at is, it depends on the bike and the instructions to the builders.

Thanks. I understand most builders can make steel or titanium be a wide range of things. Maybe it's strictly a personal question, but I'm focused on whether titanium is worth the leap up in price from nice steel.

avalonracing
06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks. I understand most builders can make steel or titanium be a wide range of things. Maybe it's strictly a personal question, but I'm focused on whether titanium is worth the leap up in price from nice steel.

Well that is up to you. I have three Ti bikes because I love the ride. I love the brushed look that can be made to look like new even years down the road in just a couple of hours all for the price of a new set of decals (although if you are looking at an IF they bead blast instead of brush the Ti). I love the fact Ti can be ridden hard, put away wet and will be here after we have shuffled off this mortal coil.

As for steel, sure they ride great and look great when new but paint chips never look good, rust sucks, and there seem to be a lot of high end steal "riders" with dings in the TT and DT as the thin wall tubing required for a nice ride and light weight can be pretty thin.

MrDangerPants
06-06-2013, 06:59 PM

I have had both a 2007 IF Crown Jewel SEC (carbon seat stays) and a 2008 IF Titanium Crown Jewel. Quite frankly, the Crown Jewel SEC was probably the best road bike I've ever had. It just felt perfect. I think it's more a personal preference. Both were great bikes, but I just don't like the feel of a titanium road bike.

Here's the SEC:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/0309a944948d753b1d20ff289d5f6f58/tumblr_mnzxriXpUa1rsielzo1_1280.jpg

Here's the Ti:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/0f745c861c1d0d6a37d177ffa60c8550/tumblr_mnzxriXpUa1rsielzo2_1280.jpg

joosttx
06-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I have owned both. I like the Ti best. Don't go the SSR route.

Vonruden
06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Ill take either, but prefer Steel

spamjoshua
06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
I love Ti. I love the absence of worry that comes with it. I love the look.

My point was mostly that Ti can be as stiff as you want it to be, and steel about as durable as you need it to be.

The more weight I lose, the faster my bikes get, and the more gentle they seem on my joints.

quattro
06-07-2013, 06:30 AM
I owned a CJ Ti for 5 years and now own a Reynolds Stainless Steel CJ SSR that is going on 4 years. The Ti tube set was thinner and thus lighter and gave a great ride, the SSR is a bit heavier and holds the road like no other bike I have owned, I also own a Parlee Z1 which I love. So, I guess it would depend on the built and the frame set. You can't go wrong with either, hard to answer the question if Ti is worth the extra bucks, I think you have to go with the material that speaks to you most. Good luck!

oldpotatoe
06-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Well, 'nice' steel, ala stainless steel, is often more expensive than 'nice' titanium.

'Worth' is a big word. What's 'worth' it to you may not be 'worth' it to me. If I could have only one frame, it would be titanium. I think the best of all worlds, IMHO.

Waterford stainless steel is $3300, Moots Vamoots ti is $3200, for example.

cfox
06-07-2013, 08:18 AM
I owned a CJ Ti for 5 years and now own a Reynolds Stainless Steel CJ SSR that is going on 4 years. The Ti tube set was thinner and thus lighter and gave a great ride, the SSR is a bit heavier and holds the road like no other bike I have owned, I also own a Parlee Z1 which I love. So, I guess it would depend on the built and the frame set. You can't go wrong with either, hard to answer the question if Ti is worth the extra bucks, I think you have to go with the material that speaks to you most. Good luck!

when you say "thinner" do you mean tube diameter, or the wall thickness of the tube? Because Reynolds 953 has the thinnest tube walls of any available tubeset, if I'm not mistaken.

jh_on_the_cape
06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I have a steel IF Planet X set up for road riding/touring. I have ridden a ti CJ and used to own a Cambridge Merlin.

I found that the wheels/components/build/ and the geo/cockpit,seat setup made more difference than material. I think tubing makes a difference as much or more than material, too.

I wish I had the ti version of my bike so I would not worry about paint, but the cost was so much more that I felt spending the $$ on wheels or even an extra wheelset with 28c tires would make more difference when actually riding.

SOrry for not being helpful.

John M
06-08-2013, 08:35 AM
.....Don't go the SSR route.

Pourquoi pas??

quattro
06-08-2013, 12:21 PM
when you say "thinner" do you mean tube diameter, or the wall thickness of the tube? Because Reynolds 953 has the thinnest tube walls of any available tubeset, if I'm not mistaken.

The wall thickness to my understanding from IF was thinner on my Ti CJ than on my SSR. I totally enjoyed the ride of the Ti but feel my SSR gives a more stable ride and holds the rode better, just my personal observations from having owned and enjoyed both frames, the geometry on each bike was different as well.

Ryun
06-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Ive had both in varying configurations.

The ti was very solid but the Factory Lightweight I had last just blew the ti cj for feel. I really prefer their steel bikes that their ti.

The ti bike will be lighter and more indestructable but the steel crown jewel is just iconic.

And as a looooong time IF owner, Im not sure they would be at the top of the list for a ti bike but the tig'd cj is still very much near the top of the heap IMO.

robin3mj
06-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Get the steel one, get a steel fork, and an ENVE while you're at it.
And get a paint job that makes you want to go ride the bike.
Then get yourself some nice beer, and you're all set.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6f4cad04148025ad92f402cbca153297/tumblr_mndfs8OwXR1rugk3zo1_1280.jpg

tuscanyswe
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
What are you after in a bike?

I loved my 853 blend Crown jewel i had. It was an awesome bike.
I wouldent go stainless either, much rather ti if i dident have that allrdy.

Bkat
06-15-2013, 06:21 PM
IF ti Crown Jewel is the winner and on order. Actually, I had a stainless (Reynolds 953) bike and while it was nice, I didn't feel the ride was a huge step up from other steel bikes I own or have owned. I know. It doesn't corrode. But I take pretty good care of my rides so that's not a major issue for me. This is all just my opinion of course. I'll post a photo when the new IF is complete.

rnhood
06-15-2013, 08:07 PM
I've spent some time on an IF Crown Jewel and its a super nice bike. You made a good choice.

Dave B
06-15-2013, 08:25 PM
IF ti Crown Jewel is the winner and on order. Actually, I had a stainless (Reynolds 953) bike and while it was nice, I didn't feel the ride was a huge step up from other steel bikes I own or have owned. I know. It doesn't corrode. But I take pretty good care of my rides so that's not a major issue for me. This is all just my opinion of course. I'll post a photo when the new IF is complete.

The 953 steel will corrode as it is steel The key is it stains less, not that it doesn't stain at all.

I have had several IF's both Ti and steel. They can make a good bike. I am sure you will be stoked with what you ordered.

looking forward to seeing pics.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2013, 07:24 AM

Had a Waterford lugged stainless and now have a Waterford lugged steel, not stainless..they both rode the same, weighed the same.

You can get a light stainless frame and a light not stainless frame..if the tubes are the same, they will ride the same. Stainless doesn't have any unique ride when compared to like non stainless frames. MUCH more expensive.

etu
06-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Sounds like you only really going to know by riding it yourself. Unless this is absolutely your LAST bike ever, then I would say buy the Ti version and see how you like it since you have not had experience with Ti. If it doesn't suit you, you could probably sell it to help cover most, if not all of the cost of a steel frame. Expensive way to do it, but certainly the most reliable.
Soliciting personal opinions is interesting, but they are only opinions. Even if they are accurate, it would be difficult to interpret and apply as we are all different people and my preference for a certain "feel" can be different from yours. My evolving personal philosophy on all these matters is a resignation that I probably can't appreciate minor or even moderate differences. When I try it's usually takes focus away from riding and can way to easily be swayed by marketing or someone else's writing.