PDA

View Full Version : sorry OT: "special offers" ads on kindle fire?

jh_on_the_cape
06-06-2013, 08:54 AM
I tried google but after pages of scrolling I could not find anything useful.
I want to get my kids a Kindle Fire for an upcoming long plane ride this summer. Amazon discounts $15 for 'Special Offers and Sponsored Screensavers'. Online I find many rants about this, but whether or not it's OK to do so...
If you have this, are the ads such that I would not want my 7 year old to see them?

I am probably going to get it with the $15 discount, and then can always disable it... but I cannot really check the ads for hours before handing over to the kids.

Also... do the ads pop up if you turn off wifi? Or if you are not in North America?

Thanks... sorry for the interruption!

PaMtbRider
06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
I have a kindle touch with the ads. Doesn't bother me in the least. Never saw anything I considered inappropriate for any age. Usually it is an ad for a new book or possibly a restaurant. Ads never pop up while you are reading. They are only there when the kindle is not in use for a few minutes and come up as a screensaver. I assume the kindle fire is the same or very similar.

Ralph
06-06-2013, 10:35 AM
My wife has the Kindle Fire HD. She doesn't report any issues like you are concerned about. She really loves reading books on it. Mostly from local library. It's hard to beat for that use...as a book reader. The WiFi works good, etc, but it really shines as a reader.

I'm trying to decide, "for my use", whether to get the Fire HD, or Nexus 7. But for a kid or adults reader, the Kindle seems excellent.

jh_on_the_cape
06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks.
FYI there is a coupon 'DADSFIRE' which is for $20 off one kindle fire HD until june 8.
I ordered 2 of them with the discount, and if it's annoying you can pay the $15 afterwards to turn it off.

Kids are going off to the grandparents... this way they have some books, games, videos, etc.