PDA

View Full Version : pedals

dharleyd
03-03-2004, 06:54 PM
does anyone have road time on coombe pedals? believe they are made in colorado.

jrm
03-03-2004, 07:07 PM
A friend of mine has them they are very tiny and you must twist your foot to get in them. He says he likes them but sure does complain a lot about them and they were over 200.00. He also now has knee pain that he never had before.? Good luck John. :banana:

DfCas
03-03-2004, 07:18 PM
and I would say they are the highest quality pedals I've owned.This does not,however,mean they are a good choice for you.I am able to correct some biomechanical issues I have with them that no other system I've tried can do.As a reference,I've used Speedplay X,Look,Keywin,Time Impact,and most all of the mountain systems.

Entry is not as convenient as spring loaded pedals,but results in elegant simplicity and the most solid pedal I've ever used.(The pedals and cleats are made from tool steel).The roller bearings are incredobly smooth and use oil.

When I bought mine,they had a 30 day money back guarantee and maybe they still do,so your risk is reduced.

Dan

hypnos
03-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Used them last season for 3900 miles with Sidi shoes. Over all, these pedals work very well. You do have to twist onto them, but that is no problem once you get the maneuver down. After clipping in, the cleat pedal interface is very solid. A little dry lube on the fore and aft part of the cleat makes getting in and out very easy. They are probably the lowest profile pedal system on the market, so don't be surprised if you need to lower your seat a few millimeters. Maintenance is a breeze. All they need is an occasional wipe down and few drops of machine oil once or twice a season. The only gripe I have with the Coombe system is the Sidi cleat. My foot seems to sit a bit too far forward on the pedal. The cleat is mounted as far forward on the shoe as possible. This may be a design flaw, as I have read similar comments from other Sidi users.

Will be test driving the Shimano road pedals soon.

Needs Help
03-04-2004, 01:15 AM
This may be a design flaw, as I have read similar comments from other Sidi users.

I wear size 48 Sidis, and with the cleat adjusted all the way forward, I still can't get my foot in the right position over the pedal. I thought it had something to do with the large size. This is the first time I've read about someone else having the problem. I'm astonished that Sidi could have a design flaw like that and not correct it.

jpw
03-04-2004, 02:24 AM
dharleyd,

I've been using Coombe for two years now and i will not be changing to another brand. Previously i used Speedplay, which were idiot proof for entry and exit, but there are too many parts in the design and they were more sensitive to dirt. More care and attention was required to keep them working smoothly and wear and tear was an issue. Also, the cleat was certainly not designed to be walked on and could not be mounted to the sole of an mtb shoe. The Coombe system is so simple with virtually no moving or wearing parts and very low/ almost no upkeep time required. I like that a lot. The great advantage of the Coombe cleats is that they can be mounted on both road and mountain shoes. I have Carnac Legend road and Carnac Boreal mountain shoes. This gives me 'total choice'. The cleats are very hard wearing and so are the pedals. Solid connection- they don't pull out (they can't, there's no spring mechanism that might fail and release accidentally). If you buy them don't rush to judgement. Give it the full 30 day return time to get the feeling for the entry part of the process. When i first started using them i thought i had made a BIG mistake. I was wrong. Once you get the knack for it there ought to be no going back. The only activity they are probably not suited to is something like cyclocross due to the shape of the cleat. I think mud would clog the cleat when running. I haven't tried it but i suspect this would be the case. I'm lazy. I never do any cleaning and still they work perfectly. One caveat. When i bought my pedals it took months to get the delivery right. Hopefully they have improved. I'm sure they have.

Too Tall
03-04-2004, 05:27 AM
I have a set and it did not work out for me. Bill used to live not far from me on the East Coast and think he is a mechanical genius. Oddly, he is a retro-grump of the old school yet he comes up with these ultra-modern pedals. My bad luck. Make me an offer.