PDA

View Full Version : no wonder the French hate American cyclist...

loctite
12-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I ran across these intresting stats today:

A French rider hasn't won the Tour in 20 years. Why? Simple, they haven't been good enough. And then you see the final ProTour standings and notice there were four Americans in the top 10 (Armstrong, 5th; Levi Leipheimer, 7th; Bobby Julich, 9th; George Hincapie, 10th) and for the French, they had four riders in the top 100 (David Moncoutie, 30th; Anthony Geslin, 62nd; Christophe Moreau, 79th; Laurent Brochard, 84th).

no wonder the Tour orginizers are so frustrated!

William
12-08-2005, 12:58 PM

A French rider hasn't won the Tour in 20 years. Why? Simple, they haven't been good enough. And then you see the final ProTour standings and notice there were four Americans in the top 10 (Armstrong, 5th; Levi Leipheimer, 7th; Bobby Julich, 9th; George Hincapie, 10th) and for the French, they had four riders in the top 100 (David Moncoutie, 30th; Anthony Geslin, 62nd; Christophe Moreau, 79th; Laurent Brochard, 84th).

http://www.waynelammers.com/images/many_faces/FRENCHIE-150hCX.jpg

Non, non, non. Vous l'avez tout le mal vous Américain frais d'un. Nous ne vous aimons pas parce que vous sentez comme Brut, ayez le mauvais souffle de café, et dents jaunes comme le pipi. La seule raison que les cavaliers français ne font pas bien contre les Américains est qu'ils ne peuvent pas tenir la puanteur des odeurs de pipi de café de Brut.

Oh, for zee 99.999% of you that know not zee French language.... :rolleyes:

Not, not, not. You have it all the American evil you expenses of one. We do not love you because you feel like Brut, have the bad coffee breath, and yellow teeth like the wee. The only reason that the French riders do not make well against the Americans is that they cannot hold the stink of the odors of Crude coffee wee.

Américains stupides :butt:

Frenchie ;)

CNY rider
12-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Go to Google.

Type in French military victories

Hit the "I feel lucky" button

Flame away! :fight:

William
12-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Go to Google.

LOL! :D

William

slowgoing
12-08-2005, 01:22 PM
"no wonder the French hate American cyclist..."

Not limited to cyclists. You could fill that blank in with anything.

JStonebarger
12-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I've never seen much evidence of french people hating "americans," but I read stupid stuff from U.S. about the french all the time...

sg8357
12-08-2005, 02:37 PM
"no wonder the French hate American cyclist..."

Not limited to cyclists. You could fill that blank in with anything.

Having done several bike trips in France I'm still looking for the American
hating Frenchman or the rude waiter for that matter. Fox News promotes
that sort of troll.

The Fox News Network, owned by Rupert Murdoch, an Australian,
who tries to be more British than the Brits in Frog bashing, 1066 and all that.

While I'm at it, there are no French fries in France, pommes frites are Belgian.
And there is no Swiss cheese in Switzerland either.

Scott G.

nobrakes
12-08-2005, 03:00 PM

It's been said, "it's not that the French hate Americans, they hate everybody". I heard this from a Frenchman in Nice. :no:

jerk
12-08-2005, 03:19 PM

french cycling has done a far better job than any other national federation at weeding out blood dopers at all levels of the sport over the past few years. this isn't a value judgement just a fact.

jerk

jerk
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Having done several bike trips in France I'm still looking for the American
hating Frenchman or the rude waiter for that matter. Fox News promotes
that sort of troll.

While I'm at it, there are no French fries in France, pommes frites are Belgian.

Scott G.

there are certainly french fries in france. the just taste better in belgium because the french don't cook them in horse lard anymore.

jer

Cadence230
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
bonjour.

BBB
12-08-2005, 03:49 PM

Scott G.[/QUOTE]

Rupert Murdoch was an Australian. He traded his citizenship in and became a US citizen to get around media ownership laws as far as I can recall.

As an Australian, I cannot quite understand this obsession with French bashing. What exactly have they done to be on the receiving end of such behaviour? Not support the war in Iraq? Accuse Armstrong of doping? I just don't get it. The Germans did not support the war in Iraq either, but no one seems intent on bagging the whole country because of it. Maybe the French are bitter about not winning the TdF since '85, but resentment over sporting failure is hardly unique to the French. I seem to remember there being a lot of resentment when the Dennis Connor lost the America's Cup in 1983. As I recall the Australian crew was accused of cheating, while once the Australian crew won the event, there was actually debate about whether or not the cup would be handed over.

97CSI
12-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Go to Google.
Pay especially close attention to the one where the French forced the British to surrender at Yorktown. You know the one. When we became a nation thanks to the French. Don't think they owe us a thing. France is a great country with great people, great wine, great food and the best bicycle race in the world. Suggest you go over and try it. We do every year and have never been disappointed.

there are certainly french fries in france. the just taste better in belgium because the french don't cook them in horse lard anymore.
jerOnly 'French Fries' I've seen in France were in MickieD's.

Headwinds
12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Go to Google.

Yeah, like there is such a thing as a "military victory".

Actually, I think this is a better one:

Go to Google. Type in failure. Hit the "I feel lucky" button...
Don't flame me, flame Google! (an American Company!)

:beer: :bike: :beer:

William
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
http://rolandallen.com/archives/Red%20Neck%20Games%20Torch.jpg

Wal ah knows thet plenty of folks on this hyar fo'um haf made fun of red necks. ah knows some red necks an' they is mighty nice varmints. Misunnerstood, but great folk. Shet mah mouth! ah cain't speak fo' others but ah's jest pokin' fun, as enny fool kin plainly see. ah have nothin' aginst th' French. Great grub, great cyclin' an' menny parts of their country is quite right purdy.

As far as merican bashin', ah knows varmints who haf traveled thar menny times an' experienced it, an' others who nevah have. So, whar does thet leave us? No whar pow'ful. Yer experience may vary. Have fun an' thanks fo' lissenin'.

Red ;)

shaq-d
12-08-2005, 05:55 PM
dum thread

sd

spiderman
12-09-2005, 09:11 AM
was when my wife and i were first married.
we lived in oxford, england.
from there we took a weekend trip to france.
on our arrival in calais
we disembarked.
my wife is quite fluent in french
and spoke to a local
about finding our hotel...
his only response was
'americans'
...and then he spat...

Tom
12-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Edit: Don't post amusing anecdotes cause they might not be understood.

andy mac
12-09-2005, 09:50 AM
still talking about 1984?? i can come up with 3 stories today and everyday of rude, ignorant people. move on...

spiderman
12-09-2005, 12:25 PM
...you're not by chance
french are you...?
...i appreciate your encouragement
to move on...
and vow to do just that...

loctite
12-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Next rude Frenchy you run into ask him if he speaks German, when he says no, you can reply with "Your Welcome".

bluesea
12-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Next rude Frenchy you run into ask him if he speaks German, when he says no, you can reply with "Your Welcome".

I wonder if Luca Brazzi was a fan of Coppi, or if he liked Bartali better? And didn't it seem like Fredo might have been a bicyclist? I mean he was skinny, but then again he was also a wimp. Do you think Don Corleone was a tifosi?

jeffg
12-09-2005, 01:43 PM
;) and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences in France. I stayed in Nice for six weeks, Paris for two months, spent my honeymoon in Provence, etc.

I know people whose experiences are different, but that is what makes life interesting.

What I need to move on about is the inflamming of chauvinistic passions by organizations like the ASO when they are in reality the unethical ones who should really sleep with the fishes.

As LA said in Velonews: "And if Jean-Marie Leblanc snubs you in Paris? That's a chapter out of 'Who f---ing cares.'"

I love France and will continue to return. I might, however, stop watching the TdF.

Fixed
12-09-2005, 01:51 PM
bro one time I made a tag to some dudes from france them bros gave me what i thought was fried chicken and i said this is good but you dudes got some small chickens then they tell me them ain't chickens them are frogs I said what i look like a snake i ain't eatin no frogs they got mad when i said that and that might be why they hate american cyclist i.m.h.o..cheers :beer:

flydhest
12-09-2005, 02:54 PM
These sorts of stories always make me giggle. Given actions one can find everyday here in the States, and using the logic of the anti-French voices here, it would be easy to conclude that Americans hate Jews, blacks, foreigners, women, homosexuals, Catholics, men, "Old" Europeans, "New" Europeans, . . .

huh, go figure.

djg
12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=sg8357

Scott G.[/QUOTE]

You can get perfectly good french fries in France, even if they don't call them "french fries," (as Steve Martin used to say, "it's like they have a different word for everything) and you can get very good swiss cheese in Switzerland, if you ask for Emmenthaler.

It is also true that the Belgians fry an especially mean fry (and really leave the French in the dirt when it comes to beer, although for wine, well ...). I lived in France a bit, in the Loire region, and I've visited a number of times. I think that the place, has its charms, myself, and I might say the same about many of the inhabitants.

Fixed
12-09-2005, 03:27 PM
bro don't forget they welcomed black jazz musicians and treated them as artist when they couldn't eat in the same restaurants or sleep in the same hotels as whites and we had jim crow .cheers :beer:

andy mac
12-09-2005, 03:37 PM
These sorts of stories always make me giggle. Given actions one can find everyday here in the States, and using the logic of the anti-French voices here, it would be easy to conclude that Americans hate Jews, blacks, foreigners, women, homosexuals, Catholics, men, "Old" Europeans, "New" Europeans, . . .

huh, go figure.

...black sock wearers, sloping tt riders, dudes with short stems...

anyone else noticed that some of the most openly religious people here are also some of the most pissy?? (ooops i may be in trouble)

a quick aside. france is the biggest tourist destination in the world. popular as it has a bit of everything - cities, beaches, mountains, food, architecture, sporting events, wine etc etc. apparently 14% of the economy is linked to tourism.

flydhest
12-09-2005, 03:38 PM
bro don't forget they welcomed black jazz musicians and treated them as artist when they couldn't eat in the same restaurants or sleep in the same hotels as whites and we had jim crow .cheers :beer:
bro,

I'm right there with you . . . in the back of the bus. My grandparents' last hurrah was to buy a house here in the Nation's Capital well after their retirement, that they weren't allowed to even look at or enter through the front door when they first moved here.

bluesea
12-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Do they have fillet mignon?

flydhest
12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Do they have fillet mignon?

yes, it only has one "l" but it's cute.

manet
12-09-2005, 03:50 PM

http://wwp.new-york-usa.com/tourist-attractions/statue-of-liberty/statue-of-liberty.JPG

andy mac
12-09-2005, 03:52 PM

or in english "you're welcome". ;)

bluesea
12-09-2005, 03:57 PM
http://wwp.new-york-usa.com/tourist-attractions/statue-of-liberty/statue-of-liberty.JPG

manet is a communications genius for the new millenia. :banana:

OilyFish
12-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Napoleon.
(Nelson & Wellington)
:beer:

shaq-d
12-09-2005, 07:22 PM

blues over jazz?

JL Hooker over coltrane..

sd

Fixed
12-09-2005, 07:28 PM
bro I dig them both .the english were hip to the blues early i.m.h.o. cheers

bluesea
12-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Josephine Baker.

manet
12-09-2005, 07:44 PM
well, well, well

http://www2.nemcc.edu/mspeople/Image24.gif

Litespeeder
12-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Lance Armstrong really annoyed the French but that doesn't mean that French hate American cyclist. They really liked Greg LeMond. Lance really comes across as an impolite hick and that really turned the French off.

I have been to France a number of times and I can say that I have never been mistreated because I was an American. America is not very popular these days in Europe. We have a president with a double digit IQ and we are in a war that is very umpopular with Europeans. So, it's not that French dislike American cyclist. It's more general than that. The French dislike the American cowboy mentality and lately we have not done much to improve that image abroad.

:bike:

Fixed
12-09-2005, 08:15 PM
bro early jazz and blues two sides of the same coin i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

shinomaster
12-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Maybe the French suck at bike racing now.

vaxn8r
12-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Man oh man, it really ticks me off when everybody on the forum generalizes about an entire country.

shinomaster
12-10-2005, 01:18 AM
The reults seem to prove it though.. I love French things.

shinomaster
12-10-2005, 01:46 AM

huh, go figure.

don't forget the Greeks.

Andreu
12-10-2005, 02:49 AM
why do Americans hate Europeans.
well they are more sophisticated, their quality of life is better, they win at most .........
I met a few Norwegians once when I was on holiday in Greece ...boy they take the biscuit.
And Lithuanians well.....

Probably one of the more absurd threads I have read here.

Dr. Doofus
12-10-2005, 06:41 AM
this is the stupidest crap doof has read on this board in a long time

get back on your bike, locknuts

oodf loves you all

dfoo wants to kick your ***

manet
12-10-2005, 07:53 AM
don't forget the Greeks.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DCXS1.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

97CSI
12-10-2005, 11:50 AM
was when my wife and i were first married. we lived in oxford, england. from there we took a weekend trip to france. on our arrival in calais we disembarked. my wife is quite fluent in french and spoke to a local
about finding our hotel...his only response was 'americans'...and then he spat...Yep.....obviously enough evidence to condemn the whole country. Sort of like condemning all of us from the USA because of dubya and his cronies.