PDA

View Full Version : Not even riding on the MUP is safe.

tuxbailey
06-04-2013, 08:52 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/driver-accused-of-hitting-bicyclist-refused-breath-test-police-say/2013/06/03/15a73bd6-cc85-11e2-8f6b-67f40e176f03_story.html?hpid=z5

At least the cyclist was not killed.

ultraman6970
06-04-2013, 09:58 AM
If you google the name pictures of quite hot chicks shows up... but the one in mug shot.

Personally never seen an indian intoxicated, I believe they dont drink at all... but who knows... you really screwed it up girl... hope this case doesnt get in the air as many cases because she could have killed somebody w/o any problem, luckily for her the guy is ok.

Hope they dont get the barriers back because the people that use the trail with training purposes might find them quite annoying. Heck even for regular riding will be a pita to avoid the barriers.

zennmotion
06-04-2013, 09:59 AM
That was weird. Sounds like she was drunk, drove a little down the path and panicked- there's a steep downhill right where she entered and once down the hill a poor or drunk driver would be pretty much committed to driving to the next street crossing- a few miles down the path- Clarks Crossing 1 mile in probably had the gates in place. It would be difficult to do a K-turn on that section of trail, especially in the dark while inebriated. She also had to cross 1-2 narrow wooden bridges. Weird.

zennmotion
06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
If you google the name pictures of quite hot chicks shows up... but the one in mug shot.

Personally never seen an indian intoxicated, I believe they dont drink at all... but who knows... you really screwed it up girl... hope this case doesnt get in the air as many cases because she could have killed somebody w/o any problem, luckily for her the guy is ok.

Hope they dont get the barriers back because the people that use the trail with training purposes might find them quite annoying. Heck even for regular riding will be a pita to avoid the barriers.

I agree about the barriers, especially for children and other wobbly folks. I have a scar from one of those damn posts from an after dark jog- ow. However, people "training" at speed on the W&OD should be forced to ride a fixed gear recumbent through a week of code red days. Ride the trail, don't be an azz, don't scare other users, smile and play nice. But if you're being all serious and sh*t, go train on the road.

redir
06-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I would never consider MUP's to be safe but that's another story. She obviously thought that she was driving down a road. Probably completely wasted.

Puget Pounder
06-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Man, you are really into stereotypes.

Peter P.
06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
In some states, refusal to submit results in an automatic suspension of your driver's license. In other states, I imagine the police can apply for a search warrant for a blood test.

You wanna be safe-reinstall the barriers. You can't have it all (no barriers and assured protection from vehicles), and drunk drivers don't read signage. MUTs are no place for hammering, not with the wide range of users. Those that run into barriers are obviously going too fast for conditions. Yeah; it sucks to have to slow down at barrier crossing but you have to weigh the drawbacks vs. benefits, and there's a segment of the population that's going to blame someone else when they hit a barrier. If you have to use an MUT for training you unfortunately live in the wrong locale.