PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta fork question

Don49
12-07-2005, 10:19 PM
So, I got my first Serotta, a year 2000 Atlanta with Ultegra 9, off eBay. Seller had the bike well packed by their LBS but it arrived with the right fork dropout (Icon Air Rail) very slightly compressed, the axle wouldn't fit in that dropout. I easily tweeked it back about 1mm and the axle fits perfectly.

What I'm wondering is should the fork be replaced or am I okay with just realigning the dropout like I did? The CF fork thread is making me nervous.

And, I really wanted a steel Serotta fork to begin with, since I'm coming off a CF bike and wanted all steel this time. But is there a steel 1" threadless Serotta fork option? Would it make any sense to put a steel fork like this Ritchey on the Atlanta? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7202665745&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks for the help guys.

Ken Robb
12-08-2005, 11:55 AM
my opinion based on that Icon fork on my LeMond Zurich--it is near the bottom of the barrel of bike forks and you will be much better off with almost anything you can buy. Just make sure you match the fork rake and length with the design parameters of the bike or with the handling you seek if you deviate form the original specs.

DBRK had Curt Goodrich make a steel fork. I think it was for a Serotta too.
I think Dave Kirk would make you one as well.
I've enjoyed Ouzo Comps and Pros as well as Serota O2 and F1 and Profile Design AC-1.

OldDog
12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Put a WTB add in the classifieds for a Atlanta fork, you may find one. You could have one made and painted to match, or paint the whole frameset, but that may be getting into more $$ than you wish to for this frame.