PDA

View Full Version : Venge Vs. Tarmac

iRide
06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Venge or tarmac? New bike next year, I do lots of road riding in a relatively flat area but I do lots of hilly races as well. Better climber than all out speed racer. Whats best?

Dave B
06-02-2013, 03:00 PM
If you have that type of budget and want carbon, contact a one Mr. Crumpton or Indy Fab.

If you just want a specialized then get the lesser expensive of the two. Why, I guess I just don't get a lot of their hype.

beeatnik
06-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Venge or tarmac? New bike next year, I do lots of road riding in a relatively flat area but I do lots of hilly races as well. Better climber than all out speed racer. Whats best?

Tarmac

rnhood
06-02-2013, 03:22 PM
The Tarmac will provide a little more "agile" feel, perhaps a little "livelier" is a better description. The Venge of course provides more aero properties. But both share many similarities. Riding predominantly on flat land, and doing more than your share of pulling the group in the 20+ mph range, the Venge is likely the better choice. Otherwise, I would go with the Tarmac. It is a slightly more well rounded bike and really shines in the mountains. Both are top tier carbon bikes and setting the benchmark. Custom will get you more flash, but not likely a better bike.

I have an S-Works Tarmac and it is superb.

Gummee
06-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Scott Foil or Giant Propel

Whichever geometry fits you better.

HTH

M

Bikerist
06-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Venge

firerescuefin
06-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Specialized concept stores usually have quite a few demos...any chance you could make it to one and have them put your fit on each?

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-02-2013, 03:51 PM
If you have that type of budget and want carbon, contact a one Mr. Crumpton or Indy Fab.

If you just want a specialized then get the lesser expensive of the two. Why, I guess I just don't get a lot of their hype.

Specialized is in a Crumpton's price range?

TAW
06-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Tarmac. More comfortable to ride, and the main difference is the Venge is supposedly more aero. Several of our customers who bought the Venge wish they had bought a Tarmac, or if they went to the Venge from the Tarmac still like their Tarmac.

As an aside, I'm not a Specialized "pitch man" but they do make pretty nice bikes, and there is a fair amount of R and D that go into these frames.

rinconryder
06-02-2013, 04:57 PM
I was thinking about the exact same bikes and came across the BH G6. Now that bike is in the mix for me. Nice thing about BH is they seem to fall in between specializeds sizing so maybe a better fit depending on where you land.

Dave B
06-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Aren't those Venge bikes like $10K ish?

Plus most of the components are their own brand, which aren't always that great. I guess I meant you could do a really nice custom for a $10K price tag.

shovelhd
06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Some are, some aren't. You're probably thinking of the McLaren Venge.

The Tarmac is a better all-arounder.

ColnagoFan
06-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Tarmac. More comfortable to ride, and the main difference is the Venge is supposedly more aero. Several of our customers who bought the Venge wish they had bought a Tarmac, or if they went to the Venge from the Tarmac still like their Tarmac.

As an aside, I'm not a Specialized "pitch man" but they do make pretty nice bikes, and there is a fair amount of R and D that go into these frames.

The Venge was developed as the perfect bike for their "Lunch Ride." 60-90 minutes at a high intensity, every bit counts.

100% right that the Tarmac is more of an all-around bike, it's more forgiving (compared to the Venge), and a better handler.
I have both a Venge & an SL4 Tarmac, and the Tarmac is hands-down the better handling bike. The front end feels a lot more "planted," especially on winding descents, the Venge is much rougher and feels less secure.

That said, I really like the Venge a lot, I like them both honestly, but if I had to choose one, it'd probably be the Tarmac.
Or a SuperSix Evo...

oldpotatoe
06-03-2013, 06:53 AM
The Venge was developed as the perfect bike for their "Lunch Ride." 60-90 minutes at a high intensity, every bit counts.

100% right that the Tarmac is more of an all-around bike, it's more forgiving (compared to the Venge), and a better handler.
I have both a Venge & an SL4 Tarmac, and the Tarmac is hands-down the better handling bike. The front end feels a lot more "planted," especially on winding descents, the Venge is much rougher and feels less secure.

That said, I really like the Venge a lot, I like them both honestly, but if I had to choose one, it'd probably be the Tarmac.
Or a SuperSix Evo...

But not a Colnago-ehh, 'ColnagoFan?

TAW
06-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Though my handle is not ColnagoFan, I am a Colnago fan. I've had several of them and have loved them. I have a Tarmac, but still looking for another Colnago after I sold my C-40.

dana_e
06-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Gunnar, save the Specys for the boy-racer types

JAGI410
06-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Gunnar, save the Specys for the boy-racer types

Yup.

FlashUNC
06-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Della Santa.

Seriously though, I'd go with whichever tickles your pickle the most. Both seem fairly similar.

Dude
06-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Tarmac.

I've had both. The venge is more aero. I can feel it. It's proven. I'm not making that up. It is noticeable. However, I won't win any races because of it. I'm not doing 6+ hour races, i'm doing 1+ hour races.

The Tarmac is stiffer on the climbs, lighter and roaring down descents feels more stable. The Venge is a great bike and I'm happy to ride it. I'd go with the Tarmac though. I want the stiffness of the tarmac, the stiffer front end and solid rear end of the tarmac.

HTH

crossjunkee
06-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I'd do the Tarmac, hands down, no question. Ride them back to back and you'll know. I'm in the market for an S-Works SL4 myself. I didn't think there was much difference in carbon bikes, until I started riding them. There's a reason it's won Bicycling Editors Choice 2 years in a row.

However, prices are so good on the Venge, I'm tempted. Shops are not having much luck with them along the front range of CO. If you want a tip on a 56cm Venge that is half price, shoot me a PM. I don't think the shop can ship a Venge, but I know they want to move it - BAD!

nicrump
06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Crumpton Corsa (US built) frameset starts at $4500. In 7x2 stock sizes(7 TT lengths, 14 HT&CS lengths)

idragen
06-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Rode both have Tarmac! Happy with decision! More responsive and stiff.

ColnagoFan
06-04-2013, 02:47 PM
But not a Colnago-ehh, 'ColnagoFan?

Well, I meant, "in addition to" my C50. That bike is never going anywhere, but the list of bikes that have come & went in the years since I got it is quite long. Many high-zoot, Asian-made carbon bikes of different flavors. All great bikes, but the Colnago is a different bike.
I don't really assume that someone shopping for a Venge or Tarmac is also going to include say a C59 in the same list.

crossjunkee
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I don't really assume that someone shopping for a Venge or Tarmac is also going to include say a C59 in the same list.

This is true (at least for me.) I love Colnago, but I'm not into "glued together" carbon tubes, from anybody. I don't think they ride as nice.

ColnagoFan
06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
This is true (at least for me.) I love Colnago, but I'm not into "glued together" carbon tubes, from anybody. I don't think they ride as nice.

It's funny, a lot of people think exactly the opposite.

It depends a lot more on the bike. Many new bikes are tube-to-tube, at least at some joints, as opposed to monocoque, as opposed to lugged, etc. It depends on the bike, how the ride is. I'd love a C59 to hang next to my C50. ****, I'd love a Dogma2 up there too.

Climb01742
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Crumpton Corsa (US built) frameset starts at $4500. In 7x2 stock sizes(7 TT lengths, 14 HT&CS lengths)

Nick, where on your site are the details? I see corsa m and corsa team. Are the stock geo's similar to the team? Thx.

nicrump
06-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Hasn't been updated yet. Soon though. Letting go of the Italian made Team and the in house custom M and just simply doing the Corsa. Built in my shop in queue, 14(7x2) stock geo's only. Geo is same as the current 7 team sizes but with each available in a longer HT/CS.

Ciao!

Nick, where on your site are the details? I see corsa m and corsa team. Are the stock geo's similar to the team? Thx.

Ti Designs
06-07-2013, 07:12 AM
This thread doesn't say much about either bike that makes much sense, but it does show the need for extended test rides. I was handed a Tarmac Pro to test ride by Specialized. This bike had been given to other people to ride, I think they may have taken it around the block once or twice and somehow formed an opinion based on that. I really don't get that. If a company is going to hand me a bike to test they had better expect a few things things: I'm really going to test the bike. It's going into corners at 30MPH, it's going to see bad pavement at high speed, it's going to be used on group rides, and it's gonna need new tires when I return it.

My normal road bike is a Serotta Ti, it was what became the La Corsa. I still think of it as a good all around bike, but I'm finding that there are bikes which have serious advantages in certain areas. My Serotta for example is NOT a cross bike, as much as I try to pretend it is. My Serotta is also not a sprinter's bike - riding the Venge pro showed me that very clearly. Of all the things said about the Venge, everybody left out the first thing that stands out about that bike. In a sprint, it's like bringing a gun to a knife fight. At over 35 MPH you don't notice that it's not that stable, you don't notice it's harsh riding, you notice that everybody else is behind you. I took the Venge on a long group ride with a bunch of town line sprints, the fit doesn't work for me, compact gearing on that bike is just plain stupid, I hated the handlebars and I had about as much fun as a guy can have in bike shorts.

I now own an S-Works Tarmac (don't worry, I'm still using 9-speed Dura-Ace). It's like the difference between driving a purpose built race car and a modern ultra performance luxury car. Both can get you to the speed limit, the luxury car lets you relax more, the race car will have you looking for places where you can use it's potential. Most bikes take me a while to warm up to, with the Venge I spent the first 500 miles trying to figure it out. Even my favorite carbon bike, the Colnago EPS takes me a ride or two before I'll really dive into a corner with it. The Tarmac SL4 is predictable from the first pedal stroke. On my first ride on the Tarmac I found myself apexing turns so tight that I had to time the pedal stroke to not hit the curb. Really, the only complaints I have about the Tarmac are that the top tube is so wide, and it doesn't match my shoes...

A lot of people make a big deal about the weight of the bikes. For the cost delta of the McLaren Venge you could have someone pull teeth out of your head, which would make all of your bikes that much lighter. I'm not at 6% body fat, I can't really point at the bike as being the overweight part of the system.

What I really love about Specialized is that they use their cutting edge bikes to boost the performance of their lower end bikes. Not so long ago the Tarmac Pro used the SL2 frame, which can now be found with 10-speed Tiagra parts as a complete bike for about $2K with matching shoes.

shovelhd
06-07-2013, 08:06 AM
This thread doesn't say much about either bike that makes much sense

I now own an S-Works Tarmac (don't worry, I'm still using 9-speed Dura-Ace). It's like the difference between driving a purpose built race car and a modern ultra performance luxury car. Both can get you to the speed limit, the luxury car lets you relax more, the race car will have you looking for places where you can use it's potential. Most bikes take me a while to warm up to, with the Venge I spent the first 500 miles trying to figure it out. Even my favorite carbon bike, the Colnago EPS takes me a ride or two before I'll really dive into a corner with it. The Tarmac SL4 is predictable from the first pedal stroke. On my first ride on the Tarmac I found myself apexing turns so tight that I had to time the pedal stroke to not hit the curb. Really, the only complaints I have about the Tarmac are that the top tube is so wide, and it doesn't match my shoes...

Which is a nice, wordy, and more detailed way of saying what I said earlier in this thread. The Tarmac is a better all-around race bike.

Ti Designs
06-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Which is a nice, wordy, and more detailed way of saying what I said earlier in this thread. The Tarmac is a better all-around race bike.

The Tarmac may be the better all-around bike, but not the better all-around RACE bike. My point in all that was in finding out what makes the Venge stand out and decide if that makes it worth the drawbacks. It's a decision to be made by the individual...

shovelhd
06-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I disagree, but that is certainly OK.

54ny77
06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Nice review. I got me a Tarmac SL2 last year that weighs about as much as a big Italian dinner, and within a couple weeks I was bombing down some really steep hills at 50-ish with sweeping turns and tight apexes (for those in So Cal/Orange County I'm referring to Park Ave, Pacific Island, Skyline and Temple Hills), with a lot of confidence. The thing handles, that's for sure. Planted, stable, wants to keep going as long as there's tire grip. Ironically, when putzing along in the very low teens, I found the bike a little twitchy, no-handed riding a bit of a challenge compared to other bikes I own. No big deal though.

Not only is the top tube big, but so is the down tube. Here, allow me to offer an illustrative comparison.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_3077.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/jpmz06/media/Bike/IMG_3077.jpg.html)

This thread doesn't say much about either bike that makes much sense, but it does show the need for extended test rides. I was handed a Tarmac Pro to test ride by Specialized. This bike had been given to other people to ride, I think they may have taken it around the block once or twice and somehow formed an opinion based on that. I really don't get that. If a company is going to hand me a bike to test they had better expect a few things things: I'm really going to test the bike. It's going into corners at 30MPH, it's going to see bad pavement at high speed, it's going to be used on group rides, and it's gonna need new tires when I return it.

My normal road bike is a Serotta Ti, it was what became the La Corsa. I still think of it as a good all around bike, but I'm finding that there are bikes which have serious advantages in certain areas. My Serotta for example is NOT a cross bike, as much as I try to pretend it is. My Serotta is also not a sprinter's bike - riding the Venge pro showed me that very clearly. Of all the things said about the Venge, everybody left out the first thing that stands out about that bike. In a sprint, it's like bringing a gun to a knife fight. At over 35 MPH you don't notice that it's not that stable, you don't notice it's harsh riding, you notice that everybody else is behind you. I took the Venge on a long group ride with a bunch of town line sprints, the fit doesn't work for me, compact gearing on that bike is just plain stupid, I hated the handlebars and I had about as much fun as a guy can have in bike shorts.

A lot of people make a big deal about the weight of the bikes. For the cost delta of the McLaren Venge you could have someone pull teeth out of your head, which would make all of your bikes that much lighter. I'm not at 6% body fat, I can't really point at the bike as being the overweight part of the system.

What I really love about Specialized is that they use their cutting edge bikes to boost the performance of their lower end bikes. Not so long ago the Tarmac Pro used the SL2 frame, which can now be found with 10-speed Tiagra parts as a complete bike for about $2K with matching shoes.