PDA

View Full Version : OT: Buying a watch in Switzerland

PaMtbRider
06-01-2013, 05:25 PM
We will be in Switzerland for 2 weeks this summer on a bike tour. I am not a watch guy, but thought I might like to have a nice watch to remember the trip. Is there any savings to be had buying a swiss made watch there, instead of from a jeweler here in the US? I am talking about spending in the $500 -$800 range.

Ken Robb
06-01-2013, 05:31 PM
I would want a big price differential if I bought one there because I might be sacrificing warranty service in the USA. OTOH a good watch isn't likely to need more than routine service is it?

crownjewelwl
06-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Don't forget about exchange rates and duties

If you declare on the way in at customs you're not gonna really save anything

But the experience of buying a watch in Switzerland should be nice...well depending on what you're thinking of buying

Ken Robb
06-01-2013, 06:32 PM
My favorite Swiss watch story: A lovely lady now well into her 70s went to Europe for a mini "Grand Tour" after graduating from college. She was armed with guide books, a Eurail Pass, and a fairly generous budget including enough for a nice Swiss watch. While in Zurich she diligently shopped for "THE WATCH" but the only one she loved was beyond her budget so she left without buying one.

The she had an "AHA! moment". She went back to Zurich and bought the Patek Phillipe that she loved and for the rest of her trip she spent most nights riding trains to wherever on her pass because she blew her hotel money on the watch.

I know this story because years ago I admired her watch so she told me the background tale. The cool part is that she still loves her watch and wears it daily. It looks like a gold bracelet but there is a very well-hidden door that flips open to reveal the dial.

I guess the moral to the story is it's OK to blow your budget if you really,really love something that will last. Like a good wife.:banana:

buddybikes
06-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Buy a well made used watch if you want a chance to hold value. Not sure if the prices over there would be much better or not however. Start your research before you go.

Steve in SLO
06-01-2013, 06:56 PM
I guess the moral to the story is it's OK to blow your budget if you really,really love something that will last. Like a good wife.:banana:
If you get a new wife there do you have to declare her in customs?

Salsa_Lover
06-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Tissot

Automatic not quartz.

Good quality, beautiful, fully made in Switzerland and priced on your budget, you pay for the quality not the brand prestige.

Automatic models can be bought for $600-$800

If you can pay a little more, buy a Tissot Le Locle chronometer, truly great watch for only around $1500

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jackforster/2012/06/18/the-tissot-le-locle-chronometer-edition-the-worlds-most-interesting-watch/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-9V91I-cDQ

If you happen to be here around the sales time at end of July you could get some with up to 30% to 50% discount

PaMtbRider
06-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. I definitely want to do some research before we go. The Tissot Le Locle looks a lot like what I would be interested in. We will be going through Le Locle and spending a night in La Chaux de Fonds during the last week in July.

lhuerta
06-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Remember that a "Swiss watch" implies that the movement is Swiss made, which is all that really matters. In the $600-800 range you are going to be very hard pressed to find a better value then Hamilton Watches...they have several watches in that range spec'ed with real ETA movements. I would also recommend Sinn for a few hundred $ more. Both of these brands can be found here in the US for the same or less then you would find overseas, and with a no hassle USA warranty. lou

Louis
06-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Automatic not quartz.

Is there much of a correlation between how well an automatic keeps time and the price? How well/poorly they keep time given the cost and the cost of maintenance are the primary reasons I haven't upgraded from my quartz.

(That and the fact that I like the looks of my Luminox and it's silly-accurate at keeping time. I reset it maybe 4 times a year, twice for the time changes and maybe once in between each them, sometimes not even then.)

Nags&Ducs
06-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Congrats on the trip to Switzerland. Regarding savings of buying Swiss watches in Switzerland as opposed to the states, I don't recall seeing any savings. In fact, I'd say you pay more but don't hold me to it.

Slight thread drift here, so forgive me if you will, but if you do choose to buy in Switzerland for the memento, I'd recommend getting a higher caliber watch if you can afford it. A lot people poo poo Rolex, but consider a Rolex Submariner or GMT or Explorer-they will never lose value. They look great, keeps decent time, and you'll get lots of comps/comments.

Back in 1990, I bought an Omega for my college graduation. At the time, I could have paid $200 more for the base Submariner but chose not to. The omega stopped working long ago and it wasn't worth fixing. Had I bought the Rolex, I'd still be wearing it and it would be worth more than I paid for. I now have a Breitling Chronomat. Love it and glad I spent the money. That was 10 years ago.

But I still want a Rolex- GMT or Explorer II. I love automatic watches. Bought my wife an automatic Tag Heuer Carrera. IMHO, it is the best looking women's auto I've ever seen. She now loves automatic watches. She still looks at her watch and raves about it.

Btw, love Ken Robb's story about the 70 yr old lady and her Patek.

yngpunk
06-02-2013, 06:26 AM
I actually looked into this a couple years ago when I visited there frequently. A couple of thoughts:

1) As long as you buy from an authorized dealer, you shouldn't have any problem getting it serviced under warranty if needed, regardless of where you buy the watch.

2) You won't be paying VAT on your purchase and most shops will not charge you the VAT when purchasing, so you don't have to complete the paperwork to get a refund when you leave the country

3) Discounts are available, just ask for their best price without VAT. I don't think bargaining is encouraged.

4) Don't know where you'll be in Switzerland, but you may have better luck in the larger cities. I hear Basel can be a good place to buy watched.

5) OT, but I've heard that you can better deals in Dubai.

Hope this helps. I have a friend who lives in Switzerland and may be able to help with recommendations

AngryScientist
06-02-2013, 06:29 AM
i looked into this a few years ago when i went across the pond. i'm a certified watch nut.

for the price range you're looking in, you're not going to save any significant amount of cash, especially vs. the hassle involved.

if you want to buy a nice watch as a momento from your trip, or find something there that strikes your eye, that's another story, and you should totally go for it; but buying swiss in switzerland for cost savings alone is not really going to happen.

have a great trip!

oldpotatoe
06-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Congrats on the trip to Switzerland. Regarding savings of buying Swiss watches in Switzerland as opposed to the states, I don't recall seeing any savings. In fact, I'd say you pay more but don't hold me to it.

Slight thread drift here, so forgive me if you will, but if you do choose to buy in Switzerland for the memento, I'd recommend getting a higher caliber watch if you can afford it. A lot people poo poo Rolex, but consider a Rolex Submariner or GMT or Explorer-they will never lose value. They look great, keeps decent time, and you'll get lots of comps/comments.

Back in 1990, I bought an Omega for my college graduation. At the time, I could have paid $200 more for the base Submariner but chose not to. The omega stopped working long ago and it wasn't worth fixing. Had I bought the Rolex, I'd still be wearing it and it would be worth more than I paid for. I now have a Breitling Chronomat. Love it and glad I spent the money. That was 10 years ago.

But I still want a Rolex- GMT or Explorer II. I love automatic watches. Bought my wife an automatic Tag Heuer Carrera. IMHO, it is the best looking women's auto I've ever seen. She now loves automatic watches. She still looks at her watch and raves about it.

Btw, love Ken Robb's story about the 70 yr old lady and her Patek.

Bought a Rolex GMT in 1978-$645..it is now worth over $3000..I could have bought a Rolex Oyster(not Datejust) in 1975 in the Rota Navy Exchange for $190..I should have bought 3..

Geezz, if in Switzerland, buy a Rolex...

MattTuck
06-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Bought a Rolex GMT in 1978-$645..it is now worth over $3000..I could have bought a Rolex Oyster(not Datejust) in 1975 in the Rota Navy Exchange for $190..I should have bought 3..

Geezz, if in Switzerland, buy a Rolex...

If you'd invested $645 in an S&P 500 index fund in 1978, it would now be worth about $11,000. And in fact, based on inflation alone $645 in 1978 is about equal to $2239 today. The moral of this story isn't that it was a bad purchase, because there's a massive service flow or psychic dividend that you get from owning a nice watch and strapping it on every day. The real lesson here is do not 'invest' in a watch, but rather buy a watch that you love and that you'll be happy putting on every day. If it holds its value against inflation and maybe even gain some value, that is all the better. Buying anything (car, watch, bike, etc.) with the idea that it is an investment and will appreciate in value is misguided, in my opinion.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2013, 08:03 AM
If you'd invested $645 in an S&P 500 index fund in 1978, it would now be worth about $11,000. And in fact, based on inflation alone $645 in 1978 is about equal to $2239 today. The moral of this story isn't that it was a bad purchase, because there's a massive service flow or psychic dividend that you get from owning a nice watch and strapping it on every day. The real lesson here is do not 'invest' in a watch, but rather buy a watch that you love and that you'll be happy putting on every day. If it holds its value against inflation and maybe even gain some value, that is all the better. Buying anything (car, watch, bike, etc.) with the idea that it is an investment and will appreciate in value is misguided, in my opinion.

I didn't buy the watch as an investment, I bought it cuz it was beautiful and wanted to be my last watch. I was answering the other guy who said he had a change to buy a Rolex and didn't..He should have, again, not as an investment but cuz they are keen watches.

I wish I had a Oyster, stainless, to wear when I ride. I don't, wish I had one of these I could have gotten in 1975.

Mikej
06-02-2013, 08:58 AM
I remember going through Switzerland in the 90's once watch shopping, thought I'd get a killer deal but in reality everything was more expensive than in the us. If you have a us service member who is active or retired ask if they could buy you a watch through the PX - I am a former Marine and know you can get Rolex etc for a very nice discount and no tax. Be aware that you will need to service an auto watch - in my case it was 350 to clean an lube every 4 years, I only wore it everyday!

Doug Fattic
06-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Whether or not the OP saves money or makes an investment, he should have a good time shopping (whether he really buys or not). One of traveling's good experiences is having a specific mission to buy a particular thing. It gives you a purpose to interact with the local culture. Most jewelry/watch stores are within walking distance of each other. It it way better than shopping at a sterile mall.

When I was tagging along with my parents when my dad went as a relief missionary doctor to Rwanda in the early 60's, I bought a Girard-Perregaux on our stop over in Switzerland. I think it cost something over $100 when there was 4 Swiss francs to a dollar (eventually there was less than one). It actually is a crappy watch that was always needing to be in the shop for repair. I'm not sure where it is now, I found its box when this subject thread reminded me to look for it.

djg
06-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Is there much of a correlation between how well an automatic keeps time and the price? How well/poorly they keep time given the cost and the cost of maintenance are the primary reasons I haven't upgraded from my quartz.

(That and the fact that I like the looks of my Luminox and it's silly-accurate at keeping time. I reset it maybe 4 times a year, twice for the time changes and maybe once in between each them, sometimes not even then.)

Louis, I think the answer to your question is yes and no, but maybe a little more no. Certainly the really cheap automatics with Chinese parts can be off to an easily noticed extent each day and may prove unreliable in the long run. Even an Invicta -- one of the automatic ones with swiss bits -- well, mine was fine (a good watch and maybe a bargain), but needed a tweak each week or so in a way that Omega and GP didn't. OTOH, once you're up to something like a stock ETA movement . . . maybe some mods help, or a nicer movement might be within a couple of seconds a day versus 6 or 8 or even 10, and some of the Swiss (and German) sporting models really are pretty rugged. And sky's the limit on complications (beyond "auto" and day/date). Still, I think the majority of any price difference, in moving from the 6-800 dollar range, to 3k, then to 6k, then to 10k and beyond, might best be thought of as jewelry differences. Design, fit and finish, etc. Materials, of course -- and you'll pay more for gold, say, certainly on a well known marque, than the materials cost of the gold itself. And the brand name. And a dirty, poorly-maintained Patek will not keep better time than a well-maintained Tissot or Tag.

I've heard all sorts of stories about Luminox Q.C., but they've also got die-hard fans so . . . I mean, however consistent or inconsistent they may be, if you've got a good one, and you like the looks (and like the looks for all contexts), then . . . well, a Rolex will not be more accurate than a well-functioning Luminox quartz. Or a Casio.

To the OP, I suspect that it's a bit different from buying wine in France, in that there just aren't many of the little-but-quality options that are inexpensive partly because they cannot make it into international distribution in any reliable way. In Swiss watches, most of "the little guys" have been bought out by big guys (which is not at all to say that marques owned by Richemont and even Swatch Group don't make fine watches), and most of the ones that remain family-owned are far from inexpensive. Most things are available throughout the EU, if not worldwide, and local bargains on recognized models from recognized brands may be relatively hard to find. Still, there may well be some great used options there. Plus, it might be like the 12 year old Hermitage I picked up at CDG -- duty free at CDG is not necessarily bargain-world for well-known French wines, but on this and that, for one reason or another, you might do very well. So who knows? Certainly, they should have everything. And take everything I've said with a pound of salt in any case, not just because it's interwebby "wisdom" but because I've not shopped on the ground in Switzerland for a long time, and I've never ever combed the country looking for watch bargains.