PDA

View Full Version : CAmpy hubs and overhauling them

shinomaster
12-07-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm sending my campy zonda wheels to my dad for his new bike. THey only have a couple of thousand miles on them at the most, done in mostly dry weather so they probably don't need an overhaul yet. The shop where he lives in upstate New York is very small and only sells shimano and treks. Is there a difference in working on camp hubs? I mean can any bozo do it that works on dura ace or what ever? The mechanic at his shop is pretty good and has been doing it for long time so there should be no trouble. I was thinking of getting it done in Portland before I send them but I honestly don't want to spend $50 if they don't need it yet.

Serotta PETE
12-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Anyone should be able to do it....If questions they can call SPOKES and he will walk them thry it. COST will be a bottle of red (he does not drink BUT I do)

PETE

chuck
12-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Just be careful those 3 little spring-loaded pawls don't come flyin outta there when you pull the unit out of the housing. A wire (think of something similar to what you use for dipping Easter eggs in coloring) or a little plastic Park tool that holds them in place is helpful. Or just fingers if you've got the free hand at that point. Assume "overhaul" means new bearings and grease only.
Chuck

shaq-d
12-07-2005, 07:41 PM
campy hubs? just shoot grease into the greaseport, as per campy's own instructions (and not branfordbike.com, a source of campy MISinformation).

any bozo can squeeze a trigga..

sd

pale scotsman
12-07-2005, 08:36 PM
The Zondas do not have a grease port and they have those cheesy plastic covers that if not taken off correctly may never go back on again (right). Shino, if I were you I'd download the pdf's from campy for reference and back off the cones, add a little new grease if needed and readjust. With only a 1 Large on 'em you should be fine. Your dad will love 'em and remember you in his will. Thank you and please pull forward...