PDA

View Full Version : Where can you buy rolls of frame protector?

2wheelwill
06-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Just paid like $8 for a strip of Lizard Skin chainstay protector from my LBS. Now i realize $8 ain't much of an investment to protect seveal thousand dollars of carbon, but anyone know where you can buy large rolls of this type of tape?

There must be a cheaper option than $8 for 6 inches...

Tommasini53
06-01-2013, 04:18 PM
check the auto parts stores...i've purchased a clear film for the top tube of my commuter bike at my local store. I believe it is a 3m product.

Another savings to be had while you are there....anti-seize compound. It's a fraction of the price that charged by bicycle parts/equipment companies.

fuzzalow
06-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Helicopter tape. Sourced from race car supply houses. The non-clear tape is cheaper.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3437-001

For purposes of chain stay protection, this stuff is overkill. But it is the real deal, whereas the stuff the bike shops sell is an overpriced, thick vinyl tape strip.

yngpunk
06-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Available from Amazon in 1" width here

http://www.amazon.com/ISC-Helicopter-OG-Surface-Tape-Outdoor/dp/B000O6BQMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370122028&sr=8-1

ultratoad
06-01-2013, 04:33 PM
I use Velo Skin because it is paper backed like a decal and is easy to layout for desired shapes. It is a 3M product and I believe it is similar (same) as the helo tape. Velo Skin also has bicycle tube shapes etched in that you can use if desired. A lot more expensive than the helo tape but easier to layout and apply. I have been using this on chain stays, cable rub areas, etc. for many years--it is a 10.... www.VeloSkin.com

one60
06-01-2013, 05:21 PM
sometimes referred to as clearbra. You can often get 'scraps' from the window tint shops for the asking &/or a 6-pack. They purchase it in large rolls & use a cutting machine to make the masks for different model cars on-site. They often have large pieces which are unusable for their needs.

Ask about the application process, its not a simple 'peel & stick' process. To get good results you need to use rubbing alcohol & a rubber squeegee/applicator to remove the air bubbles. Its not difficult but requires attention.

Z3c
06-01-2013, 08:46 PM
I am awaiting an order of 3M Paint Defender which is a new spray on clear bra.. Early reviews are good.

Search Amazon for 3M Clear bra and you will find lots of roll options for the material you are looking for..

2wheelwill
06-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.. Just ordered some of the helicopter tape from amazon. The velo skin stuff sounds great but still pretty expensive.

eddief
06-01-2013, 09:32 PM
After many years, I am just about out of this stuff. Good for dots here and there or can be cut to whatever basic shape you need:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/BKSVGY4K

yngpunk
06-02-2013, 06:28 AM
sometimes referred to as clearbra. You can often get 'scraps' from the window tint shops for the asking &/or a 6-pack. They purchase it in large rolls & use a cutting machine to make the masks for different model cars on-site. They often have large pieces which are unusable for their needs.

Ask about the application process, its not a simple 'peel & stick' process. To get good results you need to use rubbing alcohol & a rubber squeegee/applicator to remove the air bubbles. Its not difficult but requires attention.

I've found that using an old credit card or hotel key works well as a sqeegee to remove the air bubbles after application.

Andrewlcox
06-02-2013, 09:21 AM
I am awaiting an order of 3M Paint Defender which is a new spray on clear bra.. Early reviews are good.

Me too. I saw it on one of my car websites. It looks easy to apply after a coat of wax and peels off when done.

Steve in SLO
06-02-2013, 10:34 AM
3M Xpel is the name for their film, which comes in two thicknesses. It cann be bought in foot wide rolls or small sheets. As Previously mentioned, auto detailers should have lots of scraps laying around, and for a couple bucks you can probably pick up a multi-bike supply.

justinrchan
06-02-2013, 11:00 AM
+1 on the Veloskin. Pricey but a small price to pay to protect your paint.

professerr
06-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Aerostitch, the motorcycle garment mfg., used to sell small sheets of this sort of film for protecting fairings from bag rub, rocks, etc. I'm too lazy to poke around their website to find it now.

Steve in SLO
06-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Aerostitch, the motorcycle garment mfg., used to sell small sheets of this sort of film for protecting fairings from bag rub, rocks, etc. I'm too lazy to poke around their website to find it now.

That is 3m Xpel. Much cheaper to buy 'in bulk' at your local auto care place.