PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Anyone have a Corgi?

Hawker
05-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Wife and I always had Labs and love them to death. Now after not having a dog for two years we think it might be time. She thinks she wants a smaller dog and we have run across a couple of Corgis that seem kind of cute and friendly. We want a dog that likes to play, but doesn't have to be doing something every moment. I'm home during the day so it will be in house with me most of the time but if we go out for a couple of hours we'd like to be able to put it in a fenced in yard without it barking, digging holes, etc.

So, anyone have any experience with this breed? Maybe I'm looking for another Lab but in a smaller package?

Chris
05-31-2013, 05:22 PM
My brother in law has one. They are shrill barkers...

1centaur
05-31-2013, 05:38 PM
I always recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Dog-You-Daniel-Tortora/dp/067147247X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370039453&sr=1-1&keywords=the+right+dog+for+you

so you can really think about the characteristics you like and don't like in a dog. Creates great discussions in the family and reveals biases you did not know were there. While the web is your friend these days for dog research, it can be overwhelming and that book can screen a lot of breeds out very quickly without reading breeder sites that rhapsodize about whatever they have. Fact is that most people like their dogs a lot, as we have seen on this forum over the years, so objective negatives can be hard to uncover.

Dogs with proportionally long backs like that can get back problems as they age. Handling stairs is one possible consequence.

daker13
05-31-2013, 06:54 PM
No experience with the breed (beagle/lab/border collie rescue here) but I was hiking in NH last year and I ran into a couple hiking with a corgi and the guy, who had hiked extensively, said it was the best hiking breed he'd ever had. I was quite surprised, given their build, but that's what he said.

cuda2k
05-31-2013, 06:54 PM
We have a corgi, not sure I'd call her bark shrill by any stretch. Maybe a big higher than a mature lab, but it's much bigger and deeper than the size of the dog would suggest.

I also had labs growing up, but our little corgi has been a wonderful pup, her expressions speak volumes and has been a joy to have in the house. And the added benefit of not having to worry about food on the counter or even the coffee table is a nice change. ;)

Corgis were bred to be hearding dogs, working dogs, their short legs were so they could zip in and around the legs of cattle without getting stepped on. I've heard stories that when corgis are together they can try to herd their owners and other people, but our single little girl just wants to follow my wife around in hopes of pets and/or food.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SUueuJn8Gdg/T1zSnhCZPMI/AAAAAAAAFY0/rkUm7ZVTB_w/s640/IMG_1836-2.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-zyIdQqsh4ko/T4G15z7v-fI/AAAAAAAAF-g/idwki9n7C1w/s640/IMG_2295-6.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3Jfji4eFKMc/UGzGHZ-300I/AAAAAAAALIs/aTt5dtwLYI8/s640/IMG_8379.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wsaE3Y8IQTs/UL101pXpXeI/AAAAAAAANyE/Es5v3UfiaBc/s640/IMG_0857.jpg

gasman
05-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Queen Elizabeth has a couple.
Does that help ? ;)

Louis
05-31-2013, 07:07 PM
our little corgi has been a wonderful pup, her expressions speak volumes and has been a joy to have in the house.

And she wears collars to match the wildflowers! :)

Very cute.

TimD
05-31-2013, 07:40 PM
As a youth I had a small collection of these :)

http://www.corgi.co.uk/_assets/images/cache/autoxauto/18673.jpg

dustyrider
05-31-2013, 07:49 PM
These dogs always seem to find the worst owners, in my experience, I think they would make a great dog for what you're describing, they seem as if their actions denote superioir intelligence, at least superior to their owners.

I have owned Rottweilers, Labs, and a blue heeler now. I'm in the camp that believes the owner makes the dog, you've got to be realistic with you're expectations and breed of choice, but it mostly comes down to you. I like the book suggestion, makes for a good family gathering spot for such an important decision.

Don49
05-31-2013, 08:17 PM
California Governor Jerry Brown has a Corgi and the dog seems to like him. I don't know if all Corgi's are Democrats. :)

twangston73
05-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Growing up, my sister had a Corgi named Jubilee. (It was around the time of the Queen's silver Jubilee). Jubilee was a terrific and cheerful dog and I have not so secretly wanted a Corgi ever since. As with all things, your experience may vary but I have always had a soft spot for the breed.

leftyfreak
05-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Here's our corgi, Hamish. He's an amazing dog, who will go for a multi-hour long hike in the mountains, or sleep all day in your lap--your choice. I would have to say that he is happy to be active (more so when he was younger) but he's never been much interested in playing dog games. He really enjoyed being trained, and learning tricks--that type of stimulation is really good for herding dogs like corgis. As for barking, he hardly says a word when just around humans, but he's much more "talkative" when he spends time with his brother, who is owned by some friends of ours. But be prepared for a lot of shedding.

A good breeder can really help you find the individual dog that's right for your situation. Our breeder essentially got the perfect match for us, and the fact that many young children come in the house on a daily basis for music lessons. We asked for a dog who was friendly, liked kids, but wasn't overly enthusiastic. His way of greeting people is to saunter over, sit beside you, and if you acknowledge him, he'll flop on your feet.

A corgi is definitely worth considering!

gavingould
05-31-2013, 10:10 PM
The book is a good idea.
No corgi experience here, have a rescue greyhound - likes to play a bit, then sleep the next 20 hours with a bathroom break or two.
Doesn't understand people food, so doesn't beg, except for turkey which we used when training him.
I could leave a sandwich on the floor and he might give it a sniff, but unless it smells like turkey he's unlikely to even check it out.
Generally very quiet, and does not need a lot of exercise - common misconception for the breed, but they're sprinters, so three 10-20 minute walks and he's happy. He does love a good run at my in-laws' farm, but basically you can't really let them off-leash unless trained extremely well for recall or fully fenced in - urge to chase is far stronger than sense of self-preservation.

rugbysecondrow
06-01-2013, 07:23 AM
A good friend had a Corgi, he was a great dog. Friendly and good with people. and kids. Those dogs always look like they are smiling. :)

That dog shed a lot though, and I say that as an owner of a Brittany and a German Shepherd mix.

Finding the right breed of dog is important ( I am a fan of mutts), I would suggest the right dog at the right stage in life is important. When my 15 year old chow mix passed in November, we got our new dog Molly, the Brittany, a month later. She was 8 months old at the time and going from an older, active dog to a very active puppy was a challenge. It still is. If we were to do it over, based on our lifestyle, two kids, another 6 year old dog, we probably would get a dog already 2-3 years old. Youthful, but out of the puppy stage.

There are lots of good rescues out there and if you can get a quality, more mature dog.

Gummee
06-01-2013, 08:01 AM
My dog Murphy is a mutt with some Corgi in him.

He's a great dog

Therefore Corgis must be great dogs.

:D

S'all I got.

M

christian
06-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Here's our corgi, Hamish. He's an amazing dog
I'd say. It appears he can levitate.

19wisconsin64
06-01-2013, 12:57 PM
I had a Corgi, and was probably the most intelligent dog and fun dog I ever had.

OK, that being said......

1. They are herding dogs, which is a working dog breed...which means unless you get the dog a lot of exercise they get "moody". We hiked a lot, so this worked out for us. Fun fact.....Corgis will herd a group of small children.

2. They are smarter than you might think. I had fun teaching it swimming moves.... "swim left"..."swim right" ...... "swim circles". impressive given the small stature.

3. It's a big dog in a small dog frame..... and while they are amazing with people and especially small children, they will fight with other dogs...especially bigger dogs. "Small dog complex"?

4. Yes, they will dig. Yes, they will bark, but ours only did when there was an animal or a stranger.

5. There is a lot of mystical lore about these dogs......sort of a fun fact.

6. They are very loving and empathetic and fun!

Well, there you go.....now I miss our old dog!!! You will have to do some research to see if the Corgi breed is good for your family.

Hope this helps!!

leftyfreak
06-01-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd say. It appears he can levitate.

I think it's because of his ears...

In all seriousness, he has never considered short legs to be a hindrance. Jumping onto enormous boulders for treats has always been one of his favorite pastimes. Many people we come across on hikes are astonished to see where he can get to on his own.

Hindmost
06-01-2013, 03:37 PM
A friend had a corgi. I would sort of house-sit, dog-sit sometimes. The corgi was way communicative; smarter than me. Sometimes, I would tell her I didn't want to play, which she clearly understood, she would then sulk and shun me.

sc53
06-01-2013, 05:30 PM
I had two Labs at the same time I had a Corgi! The Corgi did all the hikes, walks and runs with the big dogs and loved to be part of the pack. She was a very sporting dog, had a very big-dog personality, and was a wonderful addition to the family. Alas when she was 11 or so she ruptured a disk (not uncommon in dogs with long spines) and required $3600 surgery, which did enable her to walk again (after about 3 months of physical therapy). I didn't let her race around as much after her injury and surgery. She lived to 13 and was a good dog. If you like Labs, you will like Corgis. They love and need exercise or they will get fat and slovenly--just like a Lab!

Doug Fattic
06-01-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm not a dog person (they are all mutts to me) but my in-laws have had corgis for years. I would describe them as having a big dog personally in a smaller package. For the most part they are calm dogs. Their latest (now fairly old) corgi barks a lot when the toaster is toasting and is really scared of lightening and has to vigorously announce when someone new comes by. She likes to play tug-of-war with by brother-in-law's golden retriever. My wife and daughter got an Australian Shepherd. It is a bit bigger than a corgi but smaller than the retrievers. They are a super active dog (they have the highest rescue return rate) but always wants to be around us and is very coordinated. If I'm on the coach watching TV she will be there with me. She is an affection sponge, much more connected to us then the Malamute we had before. If I had to choose a dog companion (probably against my will) I'd take our shepherd over their corgi but they are kind of similar. But of course asking me about dogs is like asking a Huffy owner about bikes.

mister
06-01-2013, 07:08 PM
my aunt has a corgi, pretty awesome dog except he is not good with other dogs. probably my aunts fault. he is a smart dog though. very sociable around people, not too loud or energetic that i remember.

leftyfreak
06-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Corgi butts drive me nuts.

rice rocket
06-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Corgi butts drive me nuts.

Not sure you should say that publicly...

Small dogs are fine, don't let them walk all over you and become little assholes. A well trained small dog is just as awesome as any other dog.

Hawker
06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks guy for your input. I'd say right now the only factor that we are really concerned about is the fairly constant shedding that lots of people have mentioned. Having had Labs that shed a lot, we're not sure we really want to deal with that again...especially if the Corgi sheds even more than most dogs.

Still...Cuda2K, wanna sell yours? What a cutie!!