PDA

View Full Version : Sachs New Success

Guacamole
05-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Building a bike for my very tall son. Finally found a great 64 CM frame. Triple Butted Bridgestone from the 80s. I'm using Campy Record 8 speed indexed shifting / brakes. I found a nice set of 700 c wheels with SACHS New Success hubs (32 hole) and Sachs New Success cluster 12-28. I believe these are the same as Record components.

Therefore all should be well. Am I mistaken or is this correct?

Thank you,

Ray

PS... Also looking for some quality longer or lengthened calipers for this frame that was designed around 27 inch wheels.

Mark McM
05-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Does the Sachs rear wheel have a freewheel hub or a cassette freehub? Sachs used both Campagnolo and Shimano compatible spacings at different points. On the freewheels, the Campagnolo spaced units had brown spacers and the Shimano spaced units had black spacers. On the cassettes, I'm not sure about how to tell the difference, but it should be an easy to replace the spacers to re-space the cassette if need be.

Guacamole
06-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Does the Sachs rear wheel have a freewheel hub or a cassette freehub? Sachs used both Campagnolo and Shimano compatible spacings at different points. On the freewheels, the Campagnolo spaced units had brown spacers and the Shimano spaced units had black spacers. On the cassettes, I'm not sure about how to tell the difference, but it should be an easy to replace the spacers to re-space the cassette if need be.

It has a freewheel hub. Your information is very helpful. I am about to purchase these used wheels and I believe the guy that built them avoided Shimano as much as possible, so I'm guessing it has the Campy spacing but now I know what to look for. I believe the Sachs New Success hubs were every bit as good as Campy Record?

Ken Robb
06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Rivendell may still have some Shimano standard reach calipers which some folks now call "long reach". They work great and using them with Campy Ergo Shifters will give you brakes releases at the levers and on the calipers to ease the use of fat tires.

choke
06-01-2013, 11:11 AM
You can use a 7-speed freewheel with 8-speed Ergos and it will shift just fine. An added benefit is that 7sp freewheels are a lot easier to find.

Spacing
7sp - 5.0mm
8sp Campy - 5.0mm
8sp Shimano - 4.8mm

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

oldpotatoe
06-01-2013, 11:44 AM
You can use a 7-speed freewheel with 8-speed Ergos and it will shift just fine. An added benefit is that 7sp freewheels are a lot easier to find.

Spacing
7sp - 5.0mm
8sp Campy - 5.0mm
8sp Shimano - 4.8mm

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

Yep, IRD makes one that works really well.

Gummee
06-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I believe the Sachs New Success hubs were every bit as good as Campy Record?

Having owned a bit of NS, I'm gonna say 'they're almost, but not quite' as good as Record. Typically, NS was built like a tank. It could take it, but it wasn't the lightest stuff around.

I've still got a few rear derailleurs in varying states of repair 'cause well... IDK why. Maybe delusions of re-creating my Concorde one day. When I sold it, it was complete NS. Sigh. Miss that bike.

M

Ralph
06-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Even the current super cheap (E Bay) Shimano 14-28 Hyperglide 7 speed freewheels are 5 MM center to center on cog, same as Campy 8. They work even better than the old Sachs I think (and I've used Sachs freewheels)...they have ramps on cogs. Use a 9's chain. Have used this combo before with Campy 8 Ergo's. Just block off the last shift up.

Sheldon Brown's spacing chart. Mostly accurate. Keep scrolling down. http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

Guacamole
06-02-2013, 11:40 AM
thank you everyone for being so helpful. I promise to post pictures when this project is done.