PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, personal rant

bikerboy337
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
So I had today off as a vacation day, was supposed to get a nice 60-70 miles in this morning, then be picked up around 1ish to head up the road to Boston my 15 year college reunion weekend. Really looking forward to the day and weekend, all was going well until 3 last night when my 5 year old wakes up crying from stomach pain. Now we've been up since then, as he keeps throwing up.

Saddest I've ever seen him, cant eat or drink, and i'm covered in vomit, used a vacation day, and might not make the reunion this weekend.

Thanks for listening.

Good news is its just the stomach bug and he'll be fine in 24 hours, so I cant complain too much.

William
05-31-2013, 12:14 PM
I feel your pain.:)

Sucks to miss good rides and events in life but the little ones need us, especially when they're down. Our kids are a little older but We're still going through it from time to time. As I always say, "Family first". Good on ya mate!:cool:

William

AngryScientist
05-31-2013, 12:17 PM
i definitely feel your pain.

it seems to me that i should really give up "planning" rides. seems every time i have a good plan together life intervenes with something suck-ass.

glad the kiddo is OK and will be fine, hang in there.

edit: you're in RI: Ride TO the reunion!

cdn_bacon
05-31-2013, 12:19 PM
get them electrolytes back into him!

Sorry you missed a ride..60-70 miles will always be there somewhere.

crownjewelwl
05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
kids screw up plans...that's what they do

but hopefully they'll visit you in the nursing home

William
05-31-2013, 12:22 PM

I just tell them...."Look, we're taking care of you now, and you'll return the favor by taking care of us later on".;)

William

rwsaunders
05-31-2013, 12:25 PM
47yo friends just found out that they're having twins...they already have a 10yo and a 12yo. Count your blessings with the stomach flu.

bikerboy337
05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
I was thinking of that, but I dont think the wife would be too happy, and then I know I wont be able to bike home on sunday after a long night out...i am going to try to relive college just a little bit, so I'll be a wreck on sunday :banana:

edit: you're in RI: Ride TO the reunion!

crownjewelwl
05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
hope that works for you...the korean guilt didnt work for me with my folks

I just tell them...."Look, we're taking care of you now, and you'll return the favor by taking care of us later on".;)

William

bikerboy337
05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
I took care of that, so if that happens, my wife is in serious trouble... :eek:

47yo friends just found out that they're having twins...they already have a 10yo and a 12yo. Count your blessings with the stomach flu.

d_douglas
05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
47yo expecting twins?!?!

That's a nightmare ;)

zap
05-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Nannies..........

William
05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
hope that works for you...the korean guilt didnt work for me with my folks

Well, since I was joking, probably not.:)

William

crownjewelwl
05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
I took care of that, so if that happens, my wife is in serious trouble... :

day surgery and a sack of frozen peas??

the end of my manhood may be near too

soulspinner
05-31-2013, 12:39 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

christian
05-31-2013, 12:51 PM
the end of my manhood may be near tooDon't worry - the dude at Mt. Kisco Medical Group was good. I did a 50-miler the following Saturday.

Hey, 337, your post made me realize it's 20 years next year. Since I'm definitely not going back, we should have a local cycling reunion.

BTW, been meaning to ask you this - Del's Lemonade, apparently only available at Magic Mountain and in Rhode Island. One - what's the deal with that? Two - is that why you moved to Rhode Island?

Sorry about the kid. Hope he feels better.

oldpotatoe
06-01-2013, 06:37 AM

BIG bing, bing, bing...winner!!!!

'wanna grow up just like you dad, wanna grow up just like you'-from Harry Chapin song.

sparky33
06-01-2013, 06:45 AM

Rant understood.

Story of my life.
I've stopped planning or rather now I plan to jump on the bike at a moment's notice whenever the stars align.

sparky33
06-01-2013, 07:00 AM
If it's any consolation, all the other dads are home cleaning up vomit too. The guys putting in a century today have no kids, grown up kids or don't know their kids. Cleaning up vomit is what the good dads like you would do.

Wishing a speedy recovery for your little one.

ORMojo
06-01-2013, 11:32 AM
I feel your pain.:)
Sucks to miss good rides and events in life but the little ones need us, especially when they're down. Our kids are a little older but We're still going through it from time to time. As I always say, "Family first". Good on ya mate!:cool:
William

This, including feeling your pain. Been there many times – missed rides, missed concerts, more.

But I learned to plan my family time first, then fit the rides and the rest in around that. I know 3 AM vomiting wasn’t planned family time, but it is part of the plan. And I’ve found that every time, even though you initially wish events hadn’t collided, I’m happiest and the most fulfilled cradling the sick child and feeling that feeling that you just don’t get anywhere else.

I don’t get this. Maybe it is their dream. My kids are spaced 20 years apart, from 4 to 24 years old, with a couple more in between. There was an 11-year lull until the most recent (last?) one, but boy oh boy, that 4-year-old is the BEST decision I ever made. And it was a decision – probably the most thoroughly thought-out decision of my life. I meditated on it for months at the monastery in Thailand, knowing that my wife was very open to – even desiring – another baby, but completely willing to go either way. Left the monastery and then had a multi-day discussion about it with my oldest daughter (then 19) that started with hours talking about it over dinner in our favorite restaurant in Hong Kong, and ended at Disneyland HK with absolute certainty! Returned to Oregon ~6 weeks later, and welcomed an amazing baby 11 months later. Here is the unexpected thing - we have found out that, in many ways completely unrelated to the kid, but very much tied to my wife’s & my place in life now compared to 25 years earlier, this time around is the most fulfilling by far.

I’ll likely be the only one at my 40-year high school reunion with a 7-year-old . . . but maybe not!

93legendti
06-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Been there - doing that. You have my empathy.

We have a bi polar child. In addition, my father in law had a heart attack in March and his left leg amputated a month ago. My wife is the only child. So everything is falling on us. Even when there is time to ride, energy is an issue.

I tell myself next year will be better.

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Been in your shoes, many times. Anyone with kids (got 2 of 'em, 9 and 17) has and/or will have many nights like yours.

Real men take care of their kids. And clean up vomit.

firerescuefin
06-01-2013, 01:49 PM
If it's any consolation, all the other dads are home cleaning up vomit too. The guys putting in a century today have no kids, grown up kids or don't know their kids. Cleaning up vomit is what the good dads like you would do.

Wishing a speedy recovery for your little one.

Well put...was having this coversation with a friend and teammate yesterday. Your bike riding exploits will not be your legacy. Lots of weekend warriors miss that...in a big way.

J.Greene
06-01-2013, 06:38 PM
My oldest is going into high school and my youngest acts like he is too. The middle one I can't keep up with. I miss the days they needed us for everything. The bike can wait.

biker72
06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Enjoy your kids. They grow up just once.
Clean up the vomit.
Go to their soccer/baseball/football games.
Attend their recitals.
You can ride next week.

OldCrank
06-01-2013, 06:59 PM
show them how to care for their bikes, and ride the right way!
Bikes are GREAT mechanical teaching tools for kids.
Wrenches, bearings, screwdrivers, sprockets & chains... easy to take apart and reassemble. Can't beat that.
And you might even get some great riding partners!