PDA

View Full Version : My commute keeps getting weirder

moose8
05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
I am getting tired of commuting in Boston. Today while riding in the bike/bus lane on Washington Street in the South End, slowly, with a bright dynamo headlight on, I saw a police officer back his car the wrong way down Washington Street and then the wrong way down a one-way street, then pull ahead, then go back again the wrong way on the one-way street - I assume he was trying to do a three point turn or something backwards. He did not appear to be headed anywhere in a rush, but he did appear to be leaving the Store 24 where I see officers every day getting coffee and appeared to have been trying to reverse direction from where his car had been double-parked. Anyway, my reaction whenever I see someone driving erratically is to stop and let them finish whatever it is they are trying to do and then proceed. This officer made some sort of wave or hand gesture - I didn't know what he meant, so I remained with my feet on the ground not in his way thinking I would wait for him to finish his turn or whatever and then continue. Instead he threw open his door, lunged towards me and got six inches from my face (which felt crazy close) and started yelling at me that he told me to go and why didn't I listen to him. I said I didn't know what he was doing so I figured I would wait for him to finish and then go. He asked if I didn't see his reverse lights. I said I don't know what reverse lights are - do you mean brake lights? He saw me looking at his badge number and yelled at me "what are you doing? looking at my badge number?" and then told me to just get out of here. At that point I got back on my bike and pedaled away and he yelled at me "that's right buddy, just pedal away." The whole interaction was completely bizarre. I have worked with police officers on a daily basis at points in my career, so I know they have hard jobs and are exposed to some horrible people so I always try to treat them with respect, but today it was all I could do to not mouth off to this guy. His rage was astounding, and certainly out of proportion with whatever I had done, which appears to have been stopping and not going while he was in the midst of an illegal turn so that he wouldn't hit me.

Looking back, there is absolutely nothing I would have done differently, as if I am unsure of whether it is safe to ride through an area based on how a vehicle is moving, I choose to stop and let the situation get safe before proceeding if possible. I've now had a couple of weird incidents recently on my commute that I don't really think had much to do with any bad decisions on my part. I've had previous close calls over 5 years of daily commuting where it was definitely my fault, and other incidents which while not my fault, my decision to bike at high speed in a city were certainly a contributing factor. But the last two years or so I have made a conscious effort to bike slowly in the city so that situations don't develop as quickly which has been working out great until it hasn't. It kind of makes me wonder at what point does it not become worth it. I certainly don't want to get hurt, but I genuinely enjoy riding my bike every day, but I hate these negative interactions that seem to be piling up.

gasman
05-31-2013, 10:05 AM
I think he knew he was making an illegal move and was afraid of being busted. That and he has a huge anger problem.
You did nothing wrong.

AngryScientist
05-31-2013, 10:09 AM
I think he knew he was making an illegal move and was afraid of being busted. That and he has a huge anger problem.
You did nothing wrong.

i agree. it's my understanding that if a police officer is not responding to an emergency situation and does not have the blue flashers on then they are expected to operate their vehicles within the confines of the same laws that the rest of us are expected to follow. i see officers abusing their power on a constant basis, and they do get angry if they think you might call them on it.

mike p
05-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Sounds like he's got problems totally unrelated to what you were doing or not doing on that street. If he can't compartmentalize and control his anger he made the wrong career choice.

Mike

moose8
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
So I was bothered enough to call the police about it. I fortunately had the badge number right. The Boston police were incredibly responsive and professional and I appreciate how they handled it. A Sergeant called me back and said he was going to sit-down and talk to the officer and apologized for how I was treated. I told him I was not trying to get anyone in trouble but I felt that this guy's behavior was so strange that I should tell someone. It's weird because this had me all hot and bothered, but the way the police handled it by having a Sergeant call me back and treat me with respect and knowing that at least someone now knows and will address it with the officer made me feel quite a bit better.

MattTuck
05-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Generally 4 types of people become police officers. 1) family pedigree 2) want to help their community and serve a higher purpose 3) individuals with questionable morals and look for bribes and 4) people who like the power that comes with the badge.

I'd personally avoid wearing the same clothes and/or bike you used today, get a helmet mounted camera and avoid that intersection/road for a while. Just in case this individual is looking to get some payback.

gasman
05-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Generally 4 types of people become police officers. 1) family pedigree 2) want to help their community and serve a higher purpose 3) individuals with questionable morals and look for bribes and 4) people who like the power that comes with the badge.

I'd personally avoid wearing the same clothes and/or bike you used today, get a helmet mounted camera and avoid that intersection/road for a while. Just in case this individual is looking to get some payback.

I agree. Avoid the route if possible and a helmet cam is a great idea.

Peter P.
05-31-2013, 12:53 PM
You did the right thing by calling the PD and informing them of your interaction.

In your favor, you did so in a non-hostile manner.

Because as a minimum, this incident will be placed in the officer's personnel file. If enough documented incidents accrue, action will be taken because no police force can afford to have officers on the street that behave that poorly.

As a former military police officer, I can fully understand the responsibilities of the position and the importance of maintaining a proper bearing.

torquer
05-31-2013, 01:45 PM
I think he knew he was making an illegal move and was afraid of being busted.
Busted by who(m)?
Walk by any station house in NYC, you'll see no parking signs, and cops' personal cars lining the streets (or diagonally across the sidewalks).
I wouldn't want their jobs, but that doesn't excuse the thuggish attitudes regularly displayed by some, and ignored by almost all the rest.

vqdriver
05-31-2013, 01:50 PM
that's disheartening to hear about people in authority positions behaving badly. no need to be perfect, but normal would be fantastic. a guilty smile and "my bad" would have been fine on the cop's part.
blowing up at a bystander is just confusing

Louis
05-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Some LEOs act like they need to rule the world. Apparently this is one of them.

You can't let them ruin your day because if they do, then the bad guys have won. (OK, that last part was a joke.)

gasman
05-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Busted by who(m)?
Walk by any station house in NYC, you'll see no parking signs, and cops' personal cars lining the streets (or diagonally across the sidewalks).
I wouldn't want their jobs, but that doesn't excuse the thuggish attitudes regularly displayed by some, and ignored by almost all the rest.

Think Rodney King but to a much lesser extent. We've had cops here face disciplinary action when filmed breaking the law.

moose8
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
One thing that I think was really bothering me was that in my head I was just in the position any commuter finds himself in of "you go, no you go." I guess I was effectively saying "no you go" and had the officer put his window down or something and given me some indication he wasn't going to continue his weird three point turn it wouldn't have been an issue and I would have gone. Or had he just smiled and laughed about it there would have been no issue at all. But he really came flying out of the car and got way up in my face which just sort of threw everything off - until that point there was no situation of any sort. But he decided to escalate it and I felt like I had no control or power, which I think is why it left me rattled.

As an aside, I looked like a super nerd and not threatening in any way - I had a Garmin 800, an iphone in a case, and a cue sheet holder in my exceedingly crowded cockpit, and a headlight that was on. I was wearing business clothes. Think one of those pictures that they make fun of on bikesnob, and that was pretty much me.

But again, in the end I am impressed that his supervisor got back to me and treated me with respect and courtesy. I think the fact that the officer will have some accountability for his actions, even if it's just a light talking-to, is indicative of an organization functioning as it should. Because ultimately it really is a he said/she said and there's nothing that can be really done based on that where there was no damage of any way to me or to the officer. I'm sure the officer has a wildly different version of the incident than I do.

On a more positive note, it's almost the weekend and there will be plenty of bike riding not through a city full of very angry drivers.

J.Greene
05-31-2013, 03:07 PM
It's very possible or probable that because a Sarg called you back this is not the first offense. I can think of more than a few legal and human resource issues that the call was necessary. You may have saved someone else from a bigger snap from this guy. Good job. They work for us.

Tony T
05-31-2013, 03:10 PM
....with a bright dynamo headlight on, I saw a police officer back his car the wrong way down Washington Street and then the wrong way down a one-way street, then pull ahead, then go back again the wrong way on the one-way street

He may have thought that you were making a video of his illegal u-turn (not that that excuses his actions, it doesn't)

OldCrank
05-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I'm also afraid a helmet cam (or ANY cam) might be a bit like waving a red cloth in front of a psychotic bull...

moose8
05-31-2013, 03:50 PM
It's very possible or probable that because a Sarg called you back this is not the first offense.

It's funny that you say this as I was struck by how the Sergeant credited everything I said and gave me a distinct impression that he was not very surprised by anything I was saying about the officer. I was not expecting that response at all, nor was I expecting such a quick call back (within the hour of when I first called and spoke to a different sergeant, not the officer's direct supervisor).

mike p
05-31-2013, 04:32 PM
I've had a lot of experience with cops (work related) and while there's tons of good cops out there in my experience the bulk fall in to category #4

Mike

Peter P.
05-31-2013, 08:37 PM
So I was bothered...made me feel quite a bit better.

If I were you I'd consider writing a letter to the Chief of Police complimenting the sergeant on how he handled your phone call. If you do not remember his name, merely reference the date and time of your call.

This will benefit the sergeant, your complaint, future callers, and please the chief of police.

wc1934
05-31-2013, 09:00 PM
If I were you I'd consider writing a letter to the Chief of Police complimenting the sergeant on how he handled your phone call. If you do not remember his name, merely reference the date and time of your call.

This will benefit the sergeant, your complaint, future callers, and please the chief of police.

You were in a tough position - hard to argue with a cop - you loose even though you are right - smart of you to get his badge #

+1 on Peter's suggestion -

Wilkinson4
05-31-2013, 10:10 PM
What an ffenin db! Sorry, but I read that and that is all I can think.

mIKE

ariw
06-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Glad you reported it, you never know what else has happened with this guy, which may include much more serious events/issues. If he blows up over a bike commuter giving him the right of way, what happens in more pressure-filled situations?

-Ari

Louis
06-01-2013, 02:54 PM
if i were you i'd consider writing a letter to the chief of police complimenting the sergeant on how he handled your phone call.

+1

firerescuefin
06-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Peter nailed it. Having worked in military/paramilitary organizations almost my entire career, I second what he said. It is good news to you (as a citizen of that city/not just the one complaining) that you received a call back. You would be surprised of the weight the good and the bad calls carry. I have called with both...and have received feedback on both.

There is no excuse for that behavior, but my experience working alongside LEOs my entire career, is that most are good folks, and we are blessed to have them serving. The ones that aren't tend to put themselves out there quite a bit and overrepresent their percentages. Most of their brothers would like to see them moved along/fired, but Unions tend to make them almost unfireable.

saf-t
06-02-2013, 07:40 PM
It's very possible or probable that because a Sarg called you back this is not the first offense. I can think of more than a few legal and human resource issues that the call was necessary. You may have saved someone else from a bigger snap from this guy. Good job. They work for us.

I had a run-in with a local cop at a detail site a few years ago while pulling some guys out of an unshored trench-the guy went ballistic for no apparent reason despite my showing ID and trying to politely explain what I was doing there.

I called the station when I got to my office, and was called back later in the day by the guy's commanding officer, who asked me to write up the incident and mail it in. He indirectly said that this hadn't been the first time for this guy.....