PDA

View Full Version : All carbon forks: Flexie flyers?

Lewis Moon
05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Added: When I say "all carbon forks" I mean carbon forks w/carbon steerers....not, you know, ALL carbon forks.

I just switched from a Ritchey carbon fork with an alu steerer/crown to a generic all carbon fork (both 1 1/8). I dropped ~350 grams, but the new (to me) fork seems really flexie. Is that just my 'magination? Would a better quality fork be stiffer w/o sacrificing shock absorbtion?

Joachim
05-31-2013, 09:52 AM
I would not describe my Enve 2.0 as flexy at all. So IMO yes, get a better quality fork.

dbh
05-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Would a better quality fork be stiffer w/o sacrificing shock absorbtion?

Yes, absolutely. Not all carbon forks are created equal. If it's shock absorption you want, there are other ways to achieve that without sacrificing fork stiffness, i.e. running your wheels at lower PSI or thicker bartape.

reggiebaseball
05-31-2013, 11:12 AM
yeah depends on the fork,

if you want just right, try a Reynolds Ouzo

If you want incredibly stiff try Enve 2.0

if you want the best ride, use a steel fork. Lets try dropping 350grams by shaving your head and taking out a few of your unnecessary teeth instead of changing your fork.

velotel
05-31-2013, 11:23 AM

I switched from an Ouzo to an Enve 2,0 (for more tire clearance), felt zero difference in ride, handling

if you want the best ride, use a steel fork. Lets try dropping 350grams by shaving your head and taking out a few of your unnecessary teeth instead of changing your fork.
You two must know each other pretty well.

eippo1
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
I'd agree w/ the notion that your specific fork is flexy. I've found the Easton Ec90 SL's to be very stiff, but super solid. I swapped my TI bike from an Easton to a Ritchey WCS and find it just as solid, but a more comfy ride. I have a friend w/ the same build as me, 6' and 180lbs, who found the Easton EC90 SLX to be way flexy, but light.

reggiebaseball
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
I switched from an Ouzo to an Enve 2,0 (for more tire clearance), felt zero difference in ride, handling

You two must know each other pretty well.

the enve 2.0 is stiffer, you didn't notice because it allows you
to run bigger tires which will ride softer.

I think anyone can save weight with proper shaving and drillum revival of teeth and skull.

zap
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM

if you want the best ride, use a flexible steel fork. Lets try dropping 350grams by shaving your head and taking out a few of your unnecessary teeth instead of changing your fork.

fixed.

For everyone else who rides hard and fast.....top tier carbon composite is best.

maunahaole
05-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Carbon is just the material. It can be done as flexy or as stiff as you would like. You chose a flexy one.

Wayne77
05-31-2013, 02:29 PM
I like how T. Kellogg describes pros and cons (especially steel vs cf)

here:
http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/forks.php

and here:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/steel-vs-carbon-fork-22149-2.html#post309216

Lewis Moon
05-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Carbon is just the material. It can be done as flexy or as stiff as you would like. You chose a flexy one.

I think you misread my meaning.

saab2000
05-31-2013, 02:52 PM
I used to own a Merckx ti frame with a Look HSC 3 fork. It felt soft and I replaced it with a Reynolds Ouzo pro fork. Both are all-carbon forks. It was like a different bike, in a good way.

And my Serotta F3 on my Colorado III is another step up.

Some of the older all-carbon forks were not really up to the tasks. I think those days are largely over, especially with the bigger names. you'll pay a premium though. Those F3s ain't cheap. But they sure are nice.

tv_vt
05-31-2013, 02:58 PM
If you want a stiff, all-carbon fork, check out my classified for an Alpha Q Z-Pro fork. Steerer is double the thickness of most carbon forks. Unlimited spacer heights OK (>100mm...). None, zero, nada flex, yet rides pretty nice, too.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but seemed on point here.

T

gavingould
05-31-2013, 04:08 PM
My bikes with full carbon tapered steerers feel stiffer fork-wise than the straight 1-1/8" full carbons they replaced. No way to know for sure as it's not apples-to-apples, but that's all I've got.
Stock forks on:
2011 Felt F3x vs a circa 2009 Easton EC90x (Jamis Supernova)
2010 Focus Cayo vs circa 2005 Specialized Tarmac

I have no experience with generic vs big-name forks.

Bob Ross
05-31-2013, 06:36 PM
I just switched from a Ritchey carbon fork with an alu steerer/crown to a generic all carbon fork

I think I see the problem...

ColnagoFan
05-31-2013, 07:35 PM
generic all carbon fork

There's your problem right there...

TimD
05-31-2013, 07:37 PM
I had a 10.5 F3 which was very stiff.

The 8.5 and the original F2/Ouzo Pros have more flex.

Haven't ridden a 6.5 F3.

nahtnoj
05-31-2013, 07:44 PM
fixed.

For everyone else who rides hard and fast.....top tier carbon composite is best.

I can tell if you are being ironic or just aren't very well informed?

Lewis Moon
05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
There's your problem right there...

Indeed. Fork came with a frame I bought. Nice and light, but noticeably flexie. Looks like I'll be trolling for a new one. Wish I had jumped on the BNIB Alpha Q C20 that was on the board a while back. It sold on the 'bay for $150.

oldpotatoe
06-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Can't remember the kicker's name, on the old Miami Dolphins...

Player to kicker, " why did ya grow a mustache?"..

Kicker-"coach wanted me to gain some weight".

carpediemracing
06-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Those that know me know I have two Tsunami Bikes frames. The frames are sold without a fork so that means a lot of soul searching for me so I can figure out which fork to buy. I prefer a stiff fork in that I want to be able to dive into a hard turn and not feel like the front wheel is trying to figure out where it wants to go. My ideal front end is the one off my SystemSix ('08 so the one with a tad more hi-mod, tapered fork/head tube, full carbon steerer).

The antithesis of what I want is the first full carbon fork I had, a Giant fork with a 1" steerer. I could see the front hub move about an inch relative to the frame just by applying the brake and rocking the bike fore and aft. Not only was it scary standing still but I got wobbles at speeds as low as 40 mph.

Having seen the results of front end failures (fork, untightened skewer) I need to trust my fork 100%. If that means spending more for a brand name from a reputable place then so be it.

An engineer that does the group ride locally told me a few years ago that although he knows most of us ride carbon forks he felt really uncomfortable with them, knowing the issues with carbon manufacturing and such. I said to him that I wouldn't trust a generic fork which has nobody behind it in terms of liability but that I'd trust a fork that had a name behind it (and some history).

Therefore the first fork I chose was the Reynolds Ouzo (alum steerer, happened to be made in Taiwan I think). I got two of them - one for the 1" Giant and one for my next 1 1/8" Giant. I moved the fork to my first Tsunami. It worked well but wasn't quite the SystemSix in terms of rigidity. Comfort it was the same, 6 hours fine.

My second Tsunami got a 3T Team fork, about 100g lighter than the Ouzo. Good, similar to the Ouzo/Tsunami. I put the slight bit of flex to the 1 1/8" straight head tube, i.e. the fork couldn't be as stiff because it's not tapered.

Finally I got an ENVE 2.0 when I redid my first Tsunami (shortened the chainstays to 39 cm). It's more crisp than the 3T/BlackTsunami. I don't remember what this frame felt like with the Ouzo/RedTsunami.

I trust this fork with my life because I do every time I do a tuck on a descent or blast into a hard turn.

I see no reason to risk my well being to save whatever I can save by getting a generic fork, $200 savings or whatever. I'd only get a fork I couldn't trust 100% for trainer/rollers use. For me the ENVE 2.0 is the current choice, with the Cannondale Slice fork an alternative whether or not I have a tapered head tube.