PDA

View Full Version : Colnago bottom bracket threading

bthornt
05-31-2013, 06:55 AM
I would presume that Colnago bottom brackets are Italian threaded, but I was surprised to see that the 30th anniversary master has English threads (according to the RA cycles webpage). Is this an exception? In particular, would anyone know if a 90s era master would have Italian or English threading?

Also, I know that English is 68mm and Italian is 70mm, so I could just measure the bottom bracket. But is that the diameter of the bottom bracket or the width?

Thanks for your help.

rice rocket
05-31-2013, 07:05 AM
It's the shell width.

Just look at both threads, if they turn the same way, they're Italian. If one side is threaded the opposite direction, it's English.

oldpotatoe
05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
I would presume that Colnago bottom brackets are Italian threaded, but I was surprised to see that the 30th anniversary master has English threads (according to the RA cycles webpage). Is this an exception? In particular, would anyone know if a 90s era master would have Italian or English threading?

Also, I know that English is 68mm and Italian is 70mm, so I could just measure the bottom bracket. But is that the diameter of the bottom bracket or the width?

Thanks for your help.

Many more recent Colnagos(maybe all now?) have abandoned the far superior Italian threading. The last one I built, C-59(for EPS) was indeed, the inferior english threading

wallymann
05-31-2013, 07:19 AM
it used to be that only the asian-made carbon colnagos had BSC BB threading, but maybe that's changing. i strongly suspect a '90s or earlier colnago anything would have ITA BB threading.

the 68/70mm spec is the width of the shell. as mentioned you can eyeball the threading as well.

Thanks for your help.

bthornt
05-31-2013, 07:28 AM
To all who replied,

Thanks a lot for the prompt responses and useful information.

Tony T
05-31-2013, 07:53 AM
Many more recent Colnagos(maybe all now?) have abandoned the far superior Italian threading. The last one I built, C-59(for EPS) was indeed, the inferior english threading

Well, then there's Press Fit ;)
BTW, I never had Italian threads, what is it that makes it better than english?

christian
05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
All Italian-made Colnagos up to and including the traditional C-series (e.g. C-50, Extreme Power, Extreme C) through ~2009 have Italian BBs. After that, who knows. I'd be surprised to see a steel Colnago with BSC threading. R&A may well be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

bobswire
05-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Speaking of which on a ride yesterday while climbing I dropped down to the 39 tooth chain ring, once I reached the top of the climb I tried shifting back to the large chain ring but it wouldn't engage. I stopped figuring the cable may have gotten slack but found the Italian BB had started to unscrew itself.
First time that has ever happened to me in over 40 years of riding.I was able to screw it back good enough without proper tool in order to get home.
Now I know that wasn't myth.

http://i39.tinypic.com/esumb7.jpg

From yesterdays ride, surfs up!
http://i40.tinypic.com/e7dysk.jpg

veggieburger
05-31-2013, 09:56 AM

Is this tongue in cheek? Please explain...I'm curious! :banana:

Keith A
05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
bobswire -- Is that the surf spot at the Golden Gate bridge known as Fort Point?

oldpotatoe
05-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Well, then there's Press Fit ;)
BTW, I never had Italian threads, what is it that makes it better than english?

well, cuz it's Italiano, of course.

christian
05-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Spaghetti Carbonara > Meat Pies. Q.E.D.

veggieburger
05-31-2013, 11:13 AM
well, cuz it's Italiano, of course.

Ah-haaaaaa. Si. Comprende. Ciao bello!