PDA

View Full Version : Louis, did you buy your Subaru?

MattTuck
05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
You may be running out of time!

America is Running Out of Subarus - WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324682204578514992711813694.html)

Not sure if that link will work.

TOKYO—Surging U.S. demand for some Subaru vehicles could lead to dealer shortages if trends continue, the chief executive of the Japanese auto maker said on Thursday.

A 25% year-over-year leap in April U.S. sales and a 17% gain for the first four months have Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. 7270.TO -3.18% now expecting sales for 2013 to exceed its 380,000 vehicle U.S. sales target for the business year ending in March 2016, CEO Yasuyuki Yoshinaga said in an interview.

His optimism underscores the company's growing success in the U.S., where it now logs about half its global sales and where it scored a fifth straight year of improved sales in 2012.
[image]

The CEO said the car maker may not be able to take full advantage of strong demand for a compact sport-utility vehicle because of its relatively limited production capacity. The redesigned Forester could reach 10,000 vehicles this month, above a monthly target of 8,000, but only if the company can build enough, he said. It ships all the SUVs from Japan.

"If this situation persists, we'll face a supply shortage," Mr. Yoshinaga said. Even if dealers want more there is little the company can do soon, he said.

This year's initial Subaru sales target in the U.S. represented an 8.6% increase over 2012. But the 17% rise in sales to 125,470 vehicles for the first four months of this year strongly indicates this year will be a banner year for Fuji Heavy. Sales in April were particularly strong thanks to the launch of the remodeled Forester small sport-utility vehicle in March.

The company "will have to set a new target as we are likely to hit" the current goal for the U.S. this year, Mr. Yoshinaga said.

Fuji Heavy projects a second straight year of record operating profit for the current business year to March 2014 on the back of solid U.S. sales and a weaker yen.

The rosy outlook has helped make the company's shares the best performing stock among auto makers in the Tokyo market, even though it is the smallest Japanese car maker by volume.

Its shares closed down 3% at ¥2,453 ($24.36) in trading in Tokyo on Thursday.

The firm's efforts to focus more on the U.S. market in the past decade are helping build extra momentum on top of the solid resurgence in the overall market.

Enlarge Image
AFP/Getty Images

The 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid

The Subaru maker now develops vehicles to better meet American customers' tastes by making them wider and roomier. It is also enhancing sales networks in Southern states where sales have been relatively weak.

Its latest growth strategy for the market was outlined earlier this month. It said it would increase annual production capacity by 100,000 vehicles to 300,000 at its plant in Indiana by 2016.

However, the latest measure won't help the company meet potential demand over the coming months, the top executive said.

The car maker has been working on improving its supply of vehicles in recent years. Its U.S. inventories increased to a 40-day supply from 18 days at the end of 2011, but still well below the U.S. car industry average of around 60 days.

But it will be hard to raise its Forester production in Japan anytime soon as its domestic plants are operating at full capacity, Mr. Yoshinaga said. Inventories for the Forester SUV in the U.S. stand at a 16-day supply.

pbarry
05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Iirc from a comment in a recent thread, Louis is hanging on to his old sled. His thriftiness and pragmatism are to be admired. When the Honda(?) finally gives up the ghost in 2017, there will be a thread of 8+ pages on which plug-in-hybrid-2 cylinder-turbo diesel-performance-SUV he should buy. :banana:

Louis
05-30-2013, 09:57 PM
No, not yet.

This is good news and bad news. Good news, in that it confirms my choice that they are good cars, but bad news because I assume that means the dealers won't be willing to deal.

I bet that most of the sales increases are in the larger models. If I get one it will be an Impreza, not one of the SUV-types.

Thanks for the info.

Louis
05-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Iirc from a comment in a recent thread, Louis is hanging on to his old sled. His thriftiness and pragmatism are to be admired.

My current justification is that I'm waiting for us to be out of hail season. (not sure when that ends)

If I wait long enough I'll be closer to the end of the year, then I'll be able to tell myself to just wait until spring to avoid taxes for '13 and a winter's worth of snow and salt. That's what happened to last year.

CunegoFan
05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
The Subaru maker now develops vehicles to better meet American customers' tastes by making them wider and roomier.

This is why I probably won't be buying another Subaru. They went from wagons to giant SUVs.

Louis
05-30-2013, 10:04 PM
This is why I probably won't be buying another Subaru. They went from wagons to giant SUVs.

The Impreza's a reasonable size.

slidey
05-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Wait a minute! Does this mean you've decided? Surely not! :bike:

Louis
05-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Wait a minute! Does this mean you've decided? Surely not! :bike:

Kind of but until I actually buy the thing I may change my mind.

The other day I saw a 2005 RSX for sale at one of the local Acura dealers. I was tempted to check it out, but managed to resist.

Louis
05-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Looks like one of the cars they fished from the Skagit river after the I-5 bridge collapse was a Subaru Crosstrek:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7443/8862114220_9cb8a134c9_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/8861512353_cd16af2e40_c.jpg

Elefantino
05-31-2013, 12:00 AM
We bought a CrossTrek earlier this month. So far, love it. Got it for $2k under sticker. Tomorrow the new Thule rack goes on top.

Louis
10-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Latest from the dealer:

I originally put my $$$ down on 19 August. I have no idea what delivery date we’ll get if mine is scheduled for “December production.”

When I first spoke to them they said special order took 6 wks, then they said 6-8 wks, and now who knows…
Subject: RE: Thank You for Visiting Dean Team Volkswagen/Subaru

Sorry Louis. Been busy all night. We checked on your Impreza. All it says is December production. As the build date gets closer we will get more information.

Your Vehicle Order Number (VON) is XXXXXXXXXX. My understanding is that you can contact Subaru and give them this number and they can tell you the status of your order.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I will be off work Tuesday and back Wednesday at 1 pm.

rounder
10-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Latest from the dealer:

I originally put my $$$ down on 19 August. I have no idea what delivery date we’ll get if mine is scheduled for “December production.”

When I first spoke to them they said special order took 6 wks, then they said 6-8 wks, and now who knows…

Subarus and bikes are incongruent. You might want to consider something less practical. (for me) I am considering something like an I28 convertible or something that I absolutely don't need, like an audi TT...not that I want one or know all that much about cars.

KidWok
10-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Subarus and bikes are incongruent. You might want to consider something less practical. (for me) I am considering something like an I28 convertible or something that I absolutely don't need, like an audi TT...not that I want one or know all that much about cars.

Love my 2004 Subaru Forester...protected me in four accidents (one serious...none my fault) and now protects my mom who drives like a Chinese grandmother ('cus she is one). Borrow it back if I ever need to get off road or get up the mountain in the winter. Now I drive a 2007 Jetta TDI. Love that thing...especially 'cus it can do this:
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/477077_10201036287377348_2106087547_o.jpg

Been hankering for a convertible though. Went and test drove this used VW Eos today. As I was backing up this guy's crazy steep driveway, I hit a low branch with his driver's side mirror and cracked it! You break it, you buy it right? I'm picking this up on Thursday!
http://images.craigslist.org/01717_eTLAbejj5p7_600x450.jpg

Tai

Louis
10-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Borrow it back if I ever need to get off road or get up the mountain in the winter.

Be careful that your mother doesn't do too many burnouts in the Eos while you use her Subie. ;)

buldogge
10-21-2013, 11:05 PM
I think I know the problem here...DeanTeam...run away, now.

-Mark in St. Louis

Latest from the dealer:

Louis
10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I think I know the problem here...DeanTeam...run away, now.

Have you had problems with them?

PM the details, if you like.

buldogge
10-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Not personally, because I avoided them...shysters, thru and thru.

Several friends with VWs and service issues (after the sale) with them.

We went out of our way back in '99 and bought our Passat wagon from the departed VW dealer out by your work.

We bought the TDi from Suntrup...and frankly, they're only marginally better...but then again...I'm used to BMW/Autohaus type service. ;)

Did you check with Webster?

-Mark

Have you had problems with them?

PM the details, if you like.

Louis
10-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Did you check with Webster?

Spoke to them over the phone once or twice, but it didn't sound like they would have any better ability finding what I wanted than Dean, so I went with them (Dean) since they're closer to my house. So far they've seemed OK (except for not having the car to sell to me).

Louis
10-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Latest update:

Went by the Subaru dealership today and got a refund for my $1k deposit on the Impreza.

They didn't try too hard to keep my business so I'll be spending my money elsewhere. (Or maybe not - the Acura only has 265,XXX miles on it...)

pbarry
10-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Heck, sorry to hear it didn't work out. I know you've thoroughly considered many options, but what about a used AWD Element? I'm looking at lower mileage ones which seem like a great value vs. buying new anything else.

rice rocket
10-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Wow.

My g/f ordered one when they first came out. MBP w/ Sport and winter pkgs. They estimated four months and she got it in two. They also had no idea when it would arrive other than when it hit the dock in Japan, then she could track it across the ocean (which it ended up in Baltimore iirc, I guess they took the long way around).

Louis
10-24-2013, 06:45 PM
The plan now is to see if I can find an '05 or '06 RSX (the renamed Integra that Acura in their infinite wisdom stopped making in '06) with a manual transmission. One issue is that most of the manuals were Type S models, that use premium gas. If I can find one that's in good shape I may just bite the bullet and go with that.

Regarding the Element, I'd really prefer something a bit sportier than that. They are super-practical, I don't know if I need to go that far.

eddief
10-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I love the many chapters in this story. I wonder how it ends?

This can run on regular, but better on premium. You'd look soooo good in this and smile the entire time: Fiesta ST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUszVrCjdgY

The plan now is to see if I can find an '05 or '06 RSX (the renamed Integra that Acura in their infinite wisdom stopped making in '06) with a manual transmission. One issue is that most of the manuals were Type S models, that use premium gas. If I can find one that's in good shape I may just bite the bullet and go with that.

Regarding the Element, I'd really prefer something a bit sportier than that. They are super-practical, I don't know if I need to go that far.

Louis
10-24-2013, 07:01 PM
I love the many chapters in this story. I wonder how it ends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQaavQNGsMY