PDA

View Full Version : Carbon wheels for large riders ?

2dogs59
05-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Any suggestions for comments about Carbon Wheels ( 35-60 mm profile )that will handle the load of a large rider?

I know pro riders exert a lot of torque and have few issues. But then again they are not dolling out 2 grand + out of pocket....
Any comments good or bad on breaking spokes, flex, or cracked rims would be appreciated.
at 6-2 210 lbs just wondering if its worth the investment or to stick with tried and true Mavic Ksyrium SL's. ?

shovelhd
05-30-2013, 12:41 PM
210 pounds is well under the typical weight limit for standard build 50+mm wheels. 250 is more like it. You should have no problem. You can also go with a custom or cross build to add a few more spokes per wheel.

William
05-30-2013, 01:42 PM
210 isn't that big of an issue. That said, click on the Ergott Custom Wheels above and Eric will set you up with just what you need!:cool:

William

MattTuck
05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Any suggestions for comments about Carbon Wheels ( 35-60 mm profile )that will handle the load of a large rider?

I know pro riders exert a lot of torque and have few issues. But then again they are not dolling out 2 grand + out of pocket....
Any comments good or bad on breaking spokes, flex, or cracked rims would be appreciated.
at 6-2 210 lbs just wondering if its worth the investment or to stick with tried and true Mavic Ksyrium SL's. ?

It most definitely is NOT worth the 'investment', unless you spend all your time soloing ahead of the field only to be swallowed by the pack with 100 meters to go. But, they will make your bike look very pro. And if you get a stout build, the wheels should be solid. A mechanic at my LBS did one of the Rapha gentleman's rides on a brand new set of Zipps last year. They were out of true half way through the ride and he still hasn't been able to get them back to true. He's 190.

I'd go with Ergott or similar and spend the money to get a solid set of wheels if you really want them. But I think the need for deep section carbon wheels is over blown.

rnhood
05-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I'd go with the new Shimano 9000 C50 wheels. They have an aluminum brake track, no weight limit, and of course the Shimano reputation for quality. The new Mavic C40 wheels look interesting and might be worth consideration (not sure if these have a weight limit or not). But the Shimano wheel line and their hubs need no introduction to quality and reliability. You ride them till the cows come home, and keep on riding them. And they don't have the drawbacks of carbon brake surfaces.

DRZRM
05-30-2013, 02:39 PM
I have a pair of Enve 6.5 clinchers that I like (I'm 6'3" 220) but I only got them because they were a GREAT deal, and frankly they are totally unnecessary. That said, they are perfectly true after hundreds of miles on mediocre MA roads.

I've actually got an itching desire to pick up a pair of Campy Neutrons (hello Ribble sale) and have a lower profile bike again. Fortunately 99% of the time I ride alone, because I'd be a bit self conscious showing up at a group ride on them, then chugging along. The one bonus is that I do try to keep the speed up so that they have some aero benefit, so I do ride faster on them...not sure if that is the same as them making me faster, but I take what I can get.

zott28
05-30-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm the same size as you and have had no problem with any wheels ( I guess I don't mash hard enough).
My carbon wheelset is Easton EC70's. They're pretty built proof.

gavingould
05-30-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm 6'4", 225, high power masher/sprinter.
Been using zipp 303 Firecrest tubulars for cross and 202 FC clinchers on the road. Actually I took the 202s out for a 70 mile gravel race last weekend and they were fine. Bunny hop stuff, went over the bars after hitting a rider who went down in front of me, no issues. His 32h alloy box rim was taco'd though...

I didn't pay anywhere near retail, but still a huge investment for me. They don't make me faster but they sure look cool.

krhea
05-30-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm 205lbs, ride 50mm carbon wheels and do notice a difference, especially when I'm rolling with the group at +20mph. The effort it takes to keep the bike "at speed" is less and even more so as the speeds increase.
I'm a high cadence pedal pusher that especially likes climbing and climbing out of the saddle, so my wheels get "used" by my 205lbs.

I don't use them for everyday wheels but they get worked pretty often. There are lots of great options out there so take your time and make a good decision.

thegunner
05-30-2013, 05:25 PM
I have a pair of Enve 6.5 clinchers that I like (I'm 6'3" 220) but I only got them because they were a GREAT deal, and frankly they are totally unnecessary. That said, they are perfectly true after hundreds of miles on mediocre MA roads.

I've actually got an itching desire to pick up a pair of Campy Neutrons (hello Ribble sale) and have a lower profile bike again. Fortunately 99% of the time I ride alone, because I'd be a bit self conscious showing up at a group ride on them, then chugging along. The one bonus is that I do try to keep the speed up so that they have some aero benefit, so I do ride faster on them...not sure if that is the same as them making me faster, but I take what I can get.

those things are BOMBPROOF. glad to see someone enjoyin' them!

mike p
05-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Carbones.....the perfect carbon starter wheel set, specially for stout dudes! The original bombproof wheelset.

Mike

cmg
05-30-2013, 09:48 PM
currently riding a set Eastons EC 90sl, a set of Eastons EC90 slx and a set of handbuilt 24mm carbon rims on Novetec hubs. all of them are tubular, i'm 190-200lbs and i haven't destroyed them yet. The handbuilts survived a tumble that took me off the bike for 4 weeks, no damage.

uber
05-31-2013, 02:46 AM
Pretty sure Mad Fiber does not have a weight restriction. I have a friend well over 200 who rides Reynolds DV46 tubulars with no issue.

oldpotatoe
05-31-2013, 07:24 AM
I'm 6'4", 225, high power masher/sprinter.
Been using zipp 303 Firecrest tubulars for cross and 202 FC clinchers on the road. Actually I took the 202s out for a 70 mile gravel race last weekend and they were fine. Bunny hop stuff, went over the bars after hitting a rider who went down in front of me, no issues. His 32h alloy box rim was taco'd though...

I didn't pay anywhere near retail, but still a huge investment for me. They don't make me faster but they sure look cool.

bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!

Rob1519
05-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Take a look at Williams or Boyd. Williams has a weight limit of 225 and Boyds can be built for a heavier rider.

I have been on Boyd 50mm tubulars for 3 years and they have bee great. Boyd pricing has gone up because of new rim designs. I am considering another deeper set, but at current Boyd pricing, I think I can get some Reynold's or possibly a custom build.

Bruce K
05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
HED Jets with stallion build are a good choice for bigger riders

BK