PDA

View Full Version : Columbia, MO - bike shops/routes?

alexstar
05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Hey all,

In two weeks I will find myself in Columbia, MO for six days with very little to do. I'd like to rent a bike and explore the town while also taking the opportunity to increase my fitness. Does anybody have any recommendations for a nice bike shop, a bike rental, some good rides, etc?

Thanks,

Alex

Louis
05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
A riding buddy of mine at work went to Mizzou and does the MS 150 ride that I believe is in that area - I'll send him a note to check this thread. (he posts every now and then)

Louis

CDollarsign
05-30-2013, 12:43 PM
My alma mater! I've only dealt with Cyclextreme in downtown. They are super nice, not sure about rentals though...

In Columbia you have access to a lot of rural road as well as the Katy Trail. Something I would do is ride the Katy trail to Rocheport and stop at Les Bourgeois for some Missouri wine (Norton being the only tolerable one). Also a ride out to Rock Bridge state park would be cool.

Let me know if you need any other recs, Columbia is really cool. Where are you staying?

azrider
05-30-2013, 12:46 PM
my old stomping grounds!!

Must. Go. To. Booches. (great burgers) I'm no help in regard to bike question tho

Louis
05-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Columbia is really cool.

Umm, let's not go too far here. ;)

It's a moderately-sized mid-western town with a huge state college at its core. If your standard for "cool" is relative to Kansas, then maybe you might be correct, but other than that, let's be realistic.

CDollarsign
05-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Umm, let's not go too far here. ;)

It's a moderately-sized mid-western town with a huge state college at its core. If your standard for "cool" is relative to Kansas, then maybe you might be correct, but other than that, let's be realistic.

Columbia is WAY cooler than STL. It is a much more progressive city with great culture and amenities. Its only getting better as well. Its no New York or SF, but definitely cool in it own right.

alexstar
05-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Wow, thanks guys for the great suggestions! (I do welcome beer, burger, and steak recommendations as well...) I'm not sure of the hotel just yet but it's next to Columbia College. My partner works at the Columbia campus here in Alameda and she is going back to the mothership for a week of training, which leaves me to my own devices for 8 hours a day. :cool: I'm excited to see the town as well as get some good riding in. The reason I'm tagging along is that the trip coincides with our first wedding anniversary, which I could not in good conscience celebrate in CA while she is stuck in MO... so I will need a "nice" restaurant for one night.

CDollarsign
05-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Beer / Booze:
The Rag Tag / Uprise (Also good for a indie film and sandwiches)
Broadway Brewery
Shakespeares (Go here for pizza as well)
Top Ten Wines (way laid back wine bar)
East Side Tavern

Burger:
Booches. So so good, they are small and sometimes people order 2 or 3. No sides but chili and chips. Pairs well with a Stag

Steak:
CC's is good. Not really a fine steakhouse town

Fine Dining:
Sycamore (pretty cool locally sourced type place)
The Wine Cellar and Bistro

More will come and I will update

godfrey1112000
05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
http://bikemo.org/route/

the century is nice, not much support so if you see a C-store or water get it

have fun

If you want to do some long distance during your stay pm me and we can work out something in kc

Louis
05-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Columbia is WAY cooler than STL. It is a much more progressive city

You're setting the bar pretty low there. :p