PDA

View Full Version : Safe to ride without the external clip on my Campy BB Cups?

bikerboy337
05-30-2013, 07:30 AM
So I yanked my cranks last night for a quick clean and regrease of the bb and bearings, but I forgot to toss on the external clip...

is it safe for me to get a 25 mile ride in at lunch today without the clip? Seems to me it doesn't do much, but I'm sure its there for a reason...

any thoughts would be appreciated before noon EST... :banana:

tmf
05-30-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm quite sure if the cranks are installed correctly you are good to ride. The clip is there as a backup in case the crankset fixing bolt holding the spindle together comes out. The clip wouldn't make the bike safe to ride in that scenario, it would just keep the crank arm from falling out of the bottom bracket.

oldpotatoe
05-30-2013, 07:38 AM
So I yanked my cranks last night for a quick clean and regrease of the bb and bearings, but I forgot to toss on the external clip...

is it safe for me to get a 25 mile ride in at lunch today without the clip? Seems to me it doesn't do much, but I'm sure its there for a reason...

any thoughts would be appreciated before noon EST... :banana:

It's 'safe', nothing is going to explode but ya oughta put that clip in. It helps to prevent side to side movement when ya ride it. Did you remember the wavy washer?

bikerboy337
05-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Got everything installed properly (washer, everything torqued to spec) just forgot to toss the clip back on... I'll ride today and toss it on tonight. Thanks all!

Dave
05-30-2013, 08:09 AM
That clip in NOT a safety device. It is an important part that keeps the whole crank from moving to the right and totally squashing the wave washer. Ride without it for long and the bearings will be trashed.

FlashUNC
05-30-2013, 08:15 AM
One ride and you'll be fine. But I would remember to get it back in asap.

sg8357
05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Campy is bringing out an improved crank/bb next year, lateral adjustment will
use cotter pins. BB90.13cp

corky
05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Campy is bringing out an improved crank/bb next year, lateral adjustment will
use cotter pins. BB90.13cp

where can I find more info?

stackie
05-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Actually the cotter pins will hold the crank arms onto the axle. There will be no need for crank bolts with their needless sensitivity to torque specs. Although, campy will have a special campy cotter pin tool in order to install and remove them.

FlashUNC
05-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Actually the cotter pins will hold the crank arms onto the axle. There will be no need for crank bolts with their needless sensitivity to torque specs. Although, campy will have a special campy cotter pin tool in order to install and remove them.

http://www.sundriesshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/I-See-What-You-Did-There-Fry1.jpg

woolly
05-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Actually - the removal tool release date is still TBD, but expected to be 12-14 months after the initial launch of the "new" cranks. The installation tool will be in the $350-$400 range, MSRP.

Dave
05-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't call anything that requires a special tool to install, a cotter pin. Cotter pins either take no tools, or at most a pair of pliers.

I would assume that the new design will use a one piece spindle, more like the current power torque, The pin would then hold the left crank arm in place?

Anarchist
05-30-2013, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't call anything that requires a special tool to install, a cotter pin. Cotter pins either take no tools, or at most a pair of pliers.

I would assume that the new design will use a one piece spindle, more like the current power torque, The pin would then hold the left crank arm in place?

Did you ever work on your bike when you were a kid?

The cotter pins on my Raleigh 3 Speed crankset when I was a kid took a wooden block and a ball peen hammer to budge.

Pliers would have done exactly nothing on those.

thirdgenbird
05-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Did you ever work on your bike when you were a kid?

The cotter pins on my Raleigh 3 Speed crankset when I was a kid took a wooden block and a ball peen hammer to budge.

Pliers would have done exactly nothing on those.

This is confusion over terminology. In many parts of the US, a split pin is called a cotter pin.

DY123
05-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm pretty sure he (sg8357) was joking

oldpotatoe
05-31-2013, 07:27 AM

think it was a joke..cottered cranks??

dana_e
05-31-2013, 10:20 AM
before you try and take them off!!

Mark McM
05-31-2013, 10:32 AM
This is confusion over terminology. In many parts of the US, a split pin is called a cotter pin.

Split cotter pin:

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/800-415/image/2/

Crank cotter pin:

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/ck095.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SKYlsTO_QGY/Tze1QfeZjdI/AAAAAAAADsw/Ei3ukVX063w/s1600/Crank-Cotter.jpg

Crank cotter pin removal press:

http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/deep-press.jpg

(Or, just whack it with hammer.)

When square taper spindles/cranks were becoming popular, they were often referred to as "cotterless cranks", since they didn't use a cotter pin. It is a common practice to name new bicycle products or technologies after the feature they eliminated, such as "clipless pedals", "threadless steerers", or "bushingless chains".