PDA

View Full Version : LBS Hyjinx

Lewis Moon
05-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Just popped into the LBS closest to my workplace in downtown Phoenix. I asked the guy behind the counter for a recessed brake nut in a longer length to accomodate the fatter crown on a carbon fork. The guy hemmed and hawed and said I'd need to bring the brakes in so he could see what I needed. I told him I'd know it if I saw it, but he just couldn't be bothered to dig out the spare brake parts box. I was the only customer in the store. I walked.
Now, this isn't just any old store, but one that boasts about being open over 100 years and runs one of the most successful racing teams in the Southwest.
Guy couldn't be bothered.:mad: O.P. probably would have just reached into the appropriate pocket on his Campy shop apron and produced one, as if by magic.

zmudshark
05-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Sounds like Landis.
Never had a good experience at any of their locations.

JAGI410
05-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Sounds like Landis.
Never had a good experience at any of their locations.

Me neither. When I lived in Phoenix and needed weird parts, Tempe Bike or Domenics usually had it.

ryker
05-29-2013, 06:48 PM
They come in a lot of sizes. Maybe that was part of the confusion?

christian
05-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Yeah, lots of sizes like, deep, deeper, and deeper yet. Not like a reasonably seasoned cyclist could pick out the one he wanted, or even(!) buy two.

Crappy service. My LBS would give me three and tell me to return the two that don't fit. Or something.

pbarry
05-29-2013, 08:23 PM
O.P. probably would have just reached into the appropriate pocket on his Campy shop apron and produced one, as if by magic.

Yes! He's done this for me twice: Once for a unique size dust cap for a 1997 Chorus rear hub, and again with a cable adjuster for a mid-90's RD. It's why Vecchios is unique in a town saturated with bike shops.
:hello:

saab2000
05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
They come in a lot of sizes. Maybe that was part of the confusion?

Doesn't matter. The customer said he knew what he needed. Bring out what you've got and let the customer decide.

This is why I can't stand many LBSs. They don't respect the customers.

Black Dog
05-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Contact the owner and explain why you left the store that day. Hear what he has to say about it. If I had an employee who delivered that level of "service" I would not be a happy camper. With that said, the worst, most snobbish, and patronizing service I have received in my life has been at bike shops. Truly professional and knowledgable places seem to be the exception, not the rule.

christian
05-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Reading threads like this make me appreciate living in fancy-pants Westchester, with its fancy-pants, high-income bike buyers.

My LBS is 0.7 miles from my house. They're awesome. Small shop, but well versed in Campagnolo. They carry Moots, Colnago, Scott, Orbea, Look. Would trust them to do anything - they're my go-to cyclocross mechanics, for instance. Always friendly, always looking to hook riders up with each other. Offer winter Tacx trainer sessions. Order stuff from distributors if you call them over the phone and let them know what you want, etc. Just the very epitome of what an LBS should be. I love them.

4 miles over I have a Specialized/Cannondale shop. I don't go there that often, but every time I have, they've treated me well. Ordered me a new dust cap for my Specialized BB30 crank, and called me as soon as it arrived. They keep a stock of Tarmac boxes around for when you need to ship a bike.

5 miles north is a fantastic Trek dealer. They built up one of my bikes when I was short on time one time, and did a great job. Huge selection of soft goods.

And 13 miles away is Signature Cycles in Greenwich. They built Ivy's Parlee and did a great job.

Feeling pretty lucky today.

progetto
05-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Doesn't matter. The customer said he knew what he needed. Bring out what you've got and let the customer decide.

This is why I can't stand many LBSs. They don't respect the customers.

Hey SAAB, next time your in Australia, call into my shop, I've alway's got a friendly smile and only too happy to help.:banana:

Llewellyn
05-30-2013, 03:59 AM
Hey SAAB, next time your in Australia, call into my shop, I've alway's got a friendly smile and only too happy to help.:banana:

Where, and what's it called?

shovelhd
05-30-2013, 06:43 AM
I have several bike shops to choose from although none of them are close. Each has their pros and cons, but if I could only have one, I could deal with any one of them except one, the one that is the largest bike shop sponsor of my club (not team, they are too far away to be useful). These guys are a lot like the OP's shop. I bought something there once, never again.

The local Felt dealer is good. They ordered a Di2 grommet kit and derailleur hanger for me special order, no problem. They called when it came in as promised. They would not apply the club discount.

The local Specialized dealer is also good. I had them warranty a set of shoes for me, no problem. I then bought a set of cleats and a helmet for a friend, no problem with the discount.

But my favorite is the little shop the next town over. It reminds me of Vecchio's but without the panache, respect, tattoos, and expertise. Racing posters adorn the walls. A glass case in the corner is filled with vintage Campagnolo gear. I needed a Di2 cable, they special ordered it for me direct from Shimano. I'm sure that nobody in that shop has ever touched Di2 but they were fine with it. I've ordered a bunch of special order stuff from them. They don't always call when it comes in, but they don't mind when I stop by to check. Club discount is no problem. So when I wanted to overhaul my CX bike, I went to them and bought everything I needed. Good people. I need to find out what they like to drink and drop something by.

Pegoready
05-30-2013, 06:57 AM
I don't know.

When you work in a shop, you get jaded my the guys who only pop out of the woodwork whenever they need an odd part and then get mad when you want to charge them $1 for the bolt you spent 10 minutes looking for, more out of principle than anything. "$1 for a 5 cent bolt!"

Not saying that's you, but when you work in a shop, you get weary of the type.

oldpotatoe
05-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Just popped into the LBS closest to my workplace in downtown Phoenix. I asked the guy behind the counter for a recessed brake nut in a longer length to accomodate the fatter crown on a carbon fork. The guy hemmed and hawed and said I'd need to bring the brakes in so he could see what I needed. I told him I'd know it if I saw it, but he just couldn't be bothered to dig out the spare brake parts box. I was the only customer in the store. I walked.
Now, this isn't just any old store, but one that boasts about being open over 100 years and runs one of the most successful racing teams in the Southwest.
Guy couldn't be bothered.:mad: O.P. probably would have just reached into the appropriate pocket on his Campy shop apron and produced one, as if by magic.

This drives me nutz..retail, altho challenging at times, really isn't that hard. It can be difficult but it isn't hard.

Joachim
05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I envy people with a good shop close by....Especially Christian, well that and I want to move to Westchester. Any houses in your neighborhood for sale Christian? I have only horrible, horrible shops. Bad service, bad attitude. Good thing I have a "home mechanic" that is a USAC mechanic, but is an engineer in his day job. Talk about getting the small details right. Di2, yep, Campy SR EPS, sure can. Steel, carbon, Ti frames? No problem. Torque wrench? Always (unlike the local shops where the mechanic can torque "on feel"). I don't mind paying for good service, but then I want....good service. Took my car for an oil change, service guy forgot the gasket. Total oil spill on my garage floor. Went back to another service guy. Tells me that the guy forgot the gasket. So I ask him "I thought its their job to know how to change the oil?". My point, you are suppose to be good at your job. If you are not, get a job which you are good at.

If I need a special nut or SR rear der adjustment screws, I ask Old P. He knows what I am talking about and doesn't waste my time with BS.

charliedid
05-30-2013, 07:26 AM
That's not Hyjinx that is BS

I don't care how much that wrench knows about bike parts, he knows nothing about service.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-30-2013, 07:40 AM
I call BS. And just down right laziness.

And these guys wonder why shops are closing left and right. I'd never set foot in there again.

Had an "issue" (RE I'm a doofus, mechanically) with my CAAD9, (integrated headsets are alien to me). Took it to my LBS (Bethel, CT, been a Cannondale dealer forever, their teams ran 'Dales for a while). Remedied my problem, essentially gratis. On another occasion (same shop), lost a bolt on my seatpost, couldn't source it, they had it, when I tried to pay, was told just come back and buy something next visit.

"If I need a special nut or SR rear der adjustment screws, I ask Old P. He knows what I am talking about and doesn't waste my time with BS."

Plus 1. I have yet to stump Peter with the odd bolt/nut/whatever I have needed. His tech help is invaluable.

oldpotatoe
05-30-2013, 07:50 AM
That's not Hyjinx that is BS

I don't care how much that wrench knows about bike parts, he knows nothing about service.

I think there are 2 types of people in LBS'. Those that are trying hard, but just poorly trained..and those that are just crappy at what they do.

You can sometimes 'fix' number one. Well, you can 'fix' number 2 also, by canning him/her.

Fixed a guy's GT titanium bike the other day(NICE frame, made in Longmont by Nalby, another story, Russian ballet dancer-escaped USSR, became a really good welder). Said the shifting was 'high effort'..'another shop', who guy said knew their stuff, butted a section of der housing against the plastic ferrule of the too short der housing, wrapped it up under the bar tape..amazing.

Wrench was probably number 2..

charliedid
05-30-2013, 07:58 AM
I think there are 2 types of people in LBS'. Those that are trying hard, but just poorly trained..and those that are just crappy at what they do.

You can sometimes 'fix' number one. Well, you can 'fix' number 2 also, by canning him/her.

Fixed a guy's GT titanium bike the other day(NICE frame, made in Longmont by Nalby, another story, Russian ballet dancer-escaped USSR, became a really good welder). Said the shifting was 'high effort'..'another shop', who guy said knew their stuff, butted a section of der housing against the plastic ferrule of the too short der housing, wrapped it up under the bar tape..amazing.

Wrench was probably number 2..

Or #3 - Out of work Architect working on bikes...so many of them.:)

Lewis Moon
05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Update:
On the way home yesterday I stopped in at Domanics in Tempe. The guy behind the counter cheerfully pawed through the parts box, but only found a nut ~5mm longer. I said it might work, thanked him and bought some extra stuff to make it worth his while.
Since Two Wheel Jones is also on the way home, I ducked in there and Travis cheerfully offered up a 30mm Campy Ti nut (exactly the right size/one) and only charged me $6.
With competition like that, "Store A" gets bupkis from here on.

I put a LOT of time in working retail on my way up, both in sales and in management. There is nothing that will walk a new customer, or alienate an old customer, faster than an aloof, arrogant or lazy sales staff.

christian
05-30-2013, 08:23 AM
I envy people with a good shop close by....Especially Christian, well that and I want to move to Westchester. Any houses in your neighborhood for sale Christian? Yeah, it's really a ridiculous wealth of excellent shops. I lived in NYC for 10 years and I found one shop I was happy with and one shop I was "ok" with. In a city of 9 million. Here, in a town of 9,000, I can basically drop my bike at any shop and be assured of competent, gracious service. I'm really fortunate.

I highly recommend a move to Westchester. House prices are insane, and property taxes are worse. But for being 35 miles from New York, the riding is outstanding. I'm 3 miles from good single-track, and the Gimbels ride passes 800 feet from my front door. I can be riding through bucolic horse country in 15 minutes.

Dave B
05-30-2013, 09:02 AM
I will say LBS can be a hit or miss experience. I think shops with high turn over rates or ones who only hire the cheapest most desperate highschool kids suffer the most.

It is easy to build a relationship with a guy(s) or gal(s) at a shop. Be nice, memorabel, visit often and buy stuff. I did this for years to the point that a few shops would call out to me like Norm from Cheers. I loved it, it made me spend more then I would need to online just to continue the relationship.

The high turn over shops take too much effort. having a kid or jackwagon tellme they knwo more cause they read the service manual or promo info on a bike or part always pissed me off. It made me learn how to do a lot of **** myself. I will say there are some decent employees at crappy shops here in Indy. Very little custom options available. One shop used to claim they were the largest serotta dealer in terms of sales in the world. They no longer sell them as it is trek Colnago, etc. Smae shop that charges crazy amounts for special ordered parts. $900 for two King disc hubs...just the hubs. When I told the manager there other local shops and online sell for the specified retail prices they said that the customer who doesn't knwo that will pay the extra fee. "They do it all of the time"

I wish I had a place like OP's shop here. I think Peter and I would become fast pals. His knowledge and view of things always makes me think even if I do not agree. Too bad there isn't enough of him to go around. :)

Small parts can be tough to stock, but shops that "get it" do what they can.

gdw
05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
"Said the shifting was 'high effort'..'another shop', who guy said knew their stuff, butted a section of der housing against the plastic ferrule of the too short der housing, wrapped it up under the bar tape..amazing."

Is that other shop east of you on Spruce Street?

Elefantino
05-30-2013, 10:52 AM
I hope the "Shop A" wasn't Airpark Bikes.

That place made me weak in the knees.

eippo1
05-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Or #3 - Out of work Architect working on bikes...so many of them.:)

Hey, that was me. Well at least for sales, I'd never pretend to be a mechanic besides working on my own bikes. Now I'm an architect again, but still get my shop time in once a week. :hello:

zmudshark
05-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Update:
On the way home yesterday I stopped in at Domanics in Tempe. The guy behind the counter cheerfully pawed through the parts box, but only found a nut ~5mm longer. I said it might work, thanked him and bought some extra stuff to make it worth his while.
Since Two Wheel Jones is also on the way home, I ducked in there and Travis cheerfully offered up a 30mm Campy Ti nut (exactly the right size/one) and only charged me $6.
With competition like that, "Store A" gets bupkis from here on.

I put a LOT of time in working retail on my way up, both in sales and in management. There is nothing that will walk a new customer, or alienate an old customer, faster than an aloof, arrogant or lazy sales staff.

Sam, Another place that has gone the extra mile for me is Tribe Multisport, on Indian School. Have come through with odd Campy bits for me more than once.

shovelhd
05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't know.

When you work in a shop, you get jaded my the guys who only pop out of the woodwork whenever they need an odd part and then get mad when you want to charge them $1 for the bolt you spent 10 minutes looking for, more out of principle than anything. "$1 for a 5 cent bolt!"

Not saying that's you, but when you work in a shop, you get weary of the type.

I'm sure that you have all sorts of customer stories, as most customer-facing employees do. Bike shops are no different. I get what you're saying, although I don't think it applies to what I described. I don't get mad at staff. I don't complain about pricing for special order parts. With the Di2 cables I made it clear that I'd pay for shipping. They declined. This is how a shop earns customers. Take care of them, and they'll be back.

charliedid
05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Hey, that was me. Well at least for sales, I'd never pretend to be a mechanic besides working on my own bikes. Now I'm an architect again, but still get my shop time in once a week. :hello:

See what I'm sayin? :)

I work with 3 currently in the shop I am at.

progetto
05-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey you know what, us shop hacks have got some pretty good stories about our customers too.

shovelhd
05-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Start a thread. I'll subscribe.

oldpotatoe
05-31-2013, 07:38 AM
"Said the shifting was 'high effort'..'another shop', who guy said knew their stuff, butted a section of der housing against the plastic ferrule of the too short der housing, wrapped it up under the bar tape..amazing."

Is that other shop east of you on Spruce Street?

I'm on Pearl and altho I ask who the D.A. was, he wouldn't say..

oldpotatoe
05-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Hey you know what, us shop hacks have got some pretty good stories about our customers too.

we have a list....

saab2000
05-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Customers are indeed a PITA. But they keep the lights on. We have our share of idiot passengers in my business but without those idiots, this idiot can't get paid to do what I do. It's a vicious cycle of idiocy! :D

William
05-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Just a little rant here...

Was in a shop yesterday talking with a guy who.....though he knew his stuff, wouldn't take off his sunglasses indoors. He's got his baseball cap on and his sunglasses and I can't see his eyes or what he's looking at. I took my sunglasses off when I came in so I can make eye contact when I'm talking with you. As a customer it makes me feel like you're not engaged in the conversation. If we're outdoors it doesn't bother me because I would be wearing mine as well, but inside, in a retail establishment it makes me feel like you don't give a rip....and maybe you don't? Maybe it's just me but it's a vibe I wouldn't want my employees throwing out to customers.

Engage me dammit, ENGAGE!!!:mad:

:):)
William

Nooch
05-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Just a little rant here...

Was in a shop yesterday talking with a guy who.....though he knew his stuff, wouldn't take off his sunglasses indoors. He's got his baseball cap on and his sunglasses and I can't see his eyes or what he's looking at. I took my sunglasses off when I came in so I can make eye contact when I'm talking with you. As a customer it makes me feel like you're not engaged in the conversation. If we're outdoors it doesn't bother me because I would be wearing mine as well, but inside, in a retail establishment it makes me feel like you don't give a rip....and maybe you don't? Maybe it's just me but it's a vibe I wouldn't want my employees throwing out to customers.

Engage me dammit, ENGAGE!!!:mad:

:):)
William

He might have just been a little intimidated by you, William :)

William
05-31-2013, 08:14 AM
He might have just been a little intimidated by you, William :)

Should I stop starting conversations with the ring stare down?:confused:

;):)
William

Nooch
05-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Should I stop starting conversations with the ring stare down?:confused:

;):)
William

Just walk in on your knees so you're more on the level, or bring a step stool with you -- I'm pretty sure I'd be having a conversation with your navel if you came into my shop!

Lewis Moon
05-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Customers can be indeed a PITA. But they keep the lights on. We have our share of idiot passengers in my business but without those idiots, this idiot can't get paid to do what I do. It's a vicious cycle of idiocy! :D

Fixt.

Really, I worked retail (sneaker pimp) for far too many years. I have great empathy for those folks working in customer service. I think the biggest problem is that, often they aren't trained well and the manager may not set a great example. I was always taught to greet a customer when they entered the shop and ask them if they were looking for anything special. If they indicated that they didn't want/need the attention, I'd back off but be available. If I was helping another customer, I'd excuse myself for a second and at least let them know I knew they were there and tell them I'd be with them as soon as I finished. If a customer was looking for something, I'd do my best to find it and lead them there...not just point and grunt. If the customer was unsure of exactly what they wanted, I'd ask questions to narrow it down. The guy at the LBS didn't even attempt to do this....and it wasn't me who was unsure...it was him.
Good customer service sets a stoor apart. Once a customer came into my shop and wanted one of the most expensive running shoes we carried. I looked at the wear on his present shoes and waved him off for a pair that were considerably more stable, but cost far less. My district manager just about popped a tube. That afternoon the guy brought his three kids in and bought them all shoes, saying he liked the way the place was run. There are different ways to make a profit.
Personal customer services is one of the things a LBS has over mail order.