PDA

View Full Version : Dented Rims - What are they good for?

roydyates
05-28-2013, 12:52 PM
My collection of slightly aluminum dented rims is now up to two. In each case, I replaced a rim because the sidewall had just enough of a dent that you could hear the cyclical thwacking when braking.

However, I find I can't quite throw away these old rims. They look good, at least from a distance.

Is there some useful purpose they might serve?

lhuerta
05-28-2013, 12:53 PM
No offense, but if you have a collection of dented rims, it begs the question, what exactly are you doing to dent rims? Just curious...Lou

mktng
05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
coat hangers.

azrider
05-28-2013, 12:56 PM
dedicated trainer wheel with trainer tire.

MattTuck
05-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Well, I'm no engineer, but it seems like a dent could be cosmetic or structural. If you can't determine which it is, I'd assume that the dents are structural.

They could make cool wall art. or maybe for indoor trainer use. Mostly things that wouldn't result in loss of life or limb if they failed.

fiamme red
05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
What would Marcel Duchamp do?

http://www.moma.org/collection_images/resized/009/w500h420/CRI_63009.jpg

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Make them into hangers.

christian
05-28-2013, 01:04 PM
1) Trainer wheel. Hit me up if they're Campagnolo.
2) Tubular-stretching rim.
3) Run behind them and hit them with a stick to roll them down the street.

regularguy412
05-28-2013, 01:09 PM
1) Trainer wheel. Hit me up if they're Campagnolo.
2) Tubular-stretching rim.
3) Run behind them and hit them with a stick to roll them down the street.

Best use I've found for mine. They don't even need to be perfectly straight, either.

Mike in AR:beer:

rugbysecondrow
05-28-2013, 01:17 PM
get a few more rims, then create a backyard game, elaborate scoring system only a guy would love.

Two stakes (like horseshoes), toss rim onto stake, drink beer. Rinse and repeat.

William
05-28-2013, 01:22 PM
get a few more rims, then create a backyard game, elaborate scoring system only a guy would love.

Two stakes (like horseshoes), toss rim onto stake, drink beer. Rinse and repeat.

Or to switch it around....

Cut the spokes a few inches from the hubs and leave them in the hub. Remove the remainder of the spokes from the rims, and lay them on the ground about forty feet apart. Most of you should know where I'm going with this by now...;)

A bike version of lawn darts/Jarts. I think I'll have to try this for the Ramble.:)

HEADS UP!!!!:eek:

William

summilux
05-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Give them to a community bike place, the kind where volunteers take old beat up bikes, fix them up and sell them/give them away.

roydyates
05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
No offense, but if you have a collection of dented rims, it begs the question, what exactly are you doing to dent rims? Just curious...Lou
Alas I bought them dented.

One was part of a powertap wheelset that i bought here on the forum. I paid enough for the powertap and accessories that the replacement cost of the rim was pretty marginal.

The other I bought on craigslist and I noticed the dent but the deal was still a bargain just for the hubs.

rugbysecondrow
05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Or to switch it around....

Cut the spokes a few inches from the hubs and leave them in the hub. Remove the remainder of the spokes from the rims, and lay them on the ground about forty feet apart. Most of you should know where I'm going with this by now...;)

A bike version of lawn darts/Jarts. I think I'll have to try this for the Ramble.:)

HEADS UP!!!!:eek:

William

I think we are on to something...there are two games for you with one broken wheel.

Question, is this a hipster or redneck games series?

roydyates
05-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Make them into hangers.

Awesome, although it seems wrong that they use Schrader valves.

carpediemracing
05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Cut the label part off and make sure you include one spoke hole. Key chain thing. This was the "cool" thing to do back in the days of box section rims that didn't take up a lot of room. "Wow you broke an SSC rim?!"

ColonelJLloyd
05-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Depending on the type of rim you could make bottle openers with them.

TPetsch
05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
"Absolutely Nothing sing it again"

jtakeda
05-28-2013, 11:39 PM
"Absolutely Nothing sing it again"

Cant believe it took this long for this reply to come up.

oldpotatoe
05-29-2013, 07:09 AM
My collection of slightly aluminum dented rims is now up to two. In each case, I replaced a rim because the sidewall had just enough of a dent that you could hear the cyclical thwacking when braking.

However, I find I can't quite throw away these old rims. They look good, at least from a distance.

Is there some useful purpose they might serve?

Stretch your tubies on them...c'mon, ya know clinchers are for nancys.

bennie222
05-29-2013, 01:02 PM
I have my bottle opener tied to one around the office, so the bottle opener doesn't disappear... sort of like the bathroom key trick from the convenience store.

roydyates
05-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Stretch your tubies on them...c'mon, ya know clinchers are for nancys.

It's true that I'm a nancy that only rides clinchers, but how did you know? i was only in your shop once, back in 2008 or maybe 09.

cp43
05-29-2013, 01:43 PM
I you do a google search for "bicycle rim furniture" you can find lots of examples of what to do with old rims. I haven't looked, but I would guess that you could find instructions somewhere on how to build chairs and so forth out of your old rims.

Chris