PDA

View Full Version : cycling in the holiday season

Fixed
12-06-2005, 12:02 PM
bro I was wondering how many cyclist have done something good for someone while out for a ride? helping another cyclist or someone in a car etc. it's the holiday season good will towards our fellow man i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

SoCalSteve
12-06-2005, 12:22 PM
As I pass any cyclist along the side of the road, stopped for whatever reason, I always ask if they need anything...

I don't need the Holiday Season to help out a cyclist in need.

If we all did that all year, think of how much more pleasent the cycling world would be.

Just one man's opinion (I don't buy into "The Holiday Season") To me, we should do nice stuff 24/7/365.

Fixed, love ya man! Ya da bomb! Great thread!!!

Steve

bluesea
12-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm resolved not to slap any cars for the next month.

BumbleBeeDave
12-06-2005, 01:57 PM
If I come upon another cyclist at roadside, I never continue until I've asked them if they need help and have gotten a coherent answer.

If they don't need help, then I continue on my way.

If they DO need help . . . I shout at them to call AAA and pedal away laughing maniacally!!! BWA-HA-HA-HA!!

No. Not really. I'll help 'em if I can or let 'em borrow my cell to call for help.

BBDave

gary135r
12-06-2005, 01:58 PM
bro I was wondering how many cyclist have done something good for someone while out for a ride? helping another cyclist or someone in a car etc. it's the holiday season good will towards our fellow man i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:
Wish we had the weather to do nice things out on the road like you Fixed. Here in Maine the riding days are about done with the snow and cold. On the bright side we have all those Currier and Ives scenes to look at here. Merry Christmas bro!

djg
12-06-2005, 02:12 PM

I'm sorry I haven't been more helpful or more frequently helpful, but sure, I have helped others out on the road and others have helped me. The season doesn't have anything to do with it for me.

manet
12-06-2005, 10:32 PM
i fixed a bicycle-cops bike.

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/r/randynewman3207/jollycoppersonparade151851.html

Elefantino
12-07-2005, 06:09 AM
I carry my tool box in the back of my vehicle at all times. If I see a cyclist stopped, I stop. The first time I did it with the wife in the car she was actually warmed to the fact that we have a great community of cyclists. Made her feel good; made me feel good that she felt good.

I also carry one of those credit card swipe things, and my service costs are quite reasonable. :rolleyes:

Ti Designs
12-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Wish we had the weather to do nice things out on the road like you Fixed. Here in Maine the riding days are about done with the snow and cold.

That's when they need it most! OK, I didn't see many other cyclists out there this week, but if they needed help I would have stopped for sure. I help out drivers who are in trouble as well. In snow storms I switch to my mountain bike as my form of transportation. I've probably pushed 100 cars out of parking spots or up hills last year. It probably changes people's opinions of cyclists when that happens - probably still think I'm nuts, but in a good way.

Fixed
12-07-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm resolved not to slap any cars for the next month.
bro I only slap a car when they are about to run over me I helped an old guy on a bike cross a busy steet today when his shoe came off in the middle of a 4 lane highway my good deed for today I'm going to try and do good deeds each day till christmas cheers :beer:

MartyE
12-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I always ask if someone is ok if they are stopped on the
side of the road and I'm either riding or driving past.
I figure what goes around comes around and one day
I will be the one needing the assist because I was too
stupid to carry 2 spares or a velox tubular repair kit.

marty

jckid
12-08-2005, 11:22 AM
I once stopped and fixed a flat for someone on a 30 year old 10-speed. It was a real beater bike and the tires had dry-rot. It didn't have quick release wheels, and I just happened to have a wrench with me that would fit it. The guy wasn't carrying any kind of patch kit or pump and he was pushing the bike along the bike path. I don't usally stop for people, but I felt kind of sorry for that guy on that particular day.

Skrawny
12-08-2005, 11:57 AM
About 10 months ago I crashed hard, was bloody, and the stem of my tire was wedged into my rim such that I could not get it out. My buddy went ahead to a nearby bike shop as I sat in the sun and waited. This was a popular cycling route in the area (Paradise Rd, Tiburon) and I amused myself by trying to predict who would ask if I needed help.

I noticed no pattern!
Some all "kitted" up on nice bikes gave me a glance and rode on, others asked and some stopped. Some on thrashed bikes and jeans asked if I needed help, others wobbled by. :bike:

I always ask.
-s

Fixed
12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
bro I havn't done a good deed today but you guys have helped out today so cheers and thank you :beer:

Kevan
12-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I was visiting with the extended family during the holiday season and was riding the local bike trails there when I came across a guy who had just crashed? Well, let me tell you… I of course sped up to the guy, jumped off my bike and came to his aid. He had fallen into the bordering woods apparently so violently hard that a long stick or branch had somehow embedded itself through the front of his helmet. As hard as I was looking at him… he too, in his daze, tried hard to focus on my face, slowly a sheepish grin came over him as his first response. He started to make motions to get up, but I was extremely concerned about this stick with leaves and debris all over it, whether, in fact, it had somehow lodged itself in his head and on into his brain. I begged him to lie still while I sought help and for a brief time he complied. I had no cell phone back then and being that it was winter there wasn’t much if any activity on the path. Eventually, he grew tired of waiting and began to sit up. Again, I begged that he stay still, but now he was in a seated position and he seemed content just to sit there, so I let him. I thought it curious that he noticed, looking up almost cross-eyed, at the stick jutting from the front of his helmet and he nearly giggled seeing the leaves still dangling from it. He didn’t reach for it which I was glad he didn’t try, for fear that he might cause himself even more harm. He then turned his attention to his bike and asked about its condition, which I was glad to hear him ask, both he and I could use the distraction. Also, I thought it meant possibly his injuries weren’t too bad. So, I walked over to his bike and immediately thought how lucky he was that the bike had landed drive train side up. I noticed too that this was one really nice bike so I carefully picked it up and checked it over. Funny… no dents or scrapes…the brake levers were still aligned with no scrapes, bar tape was good as new… heck, even his water bottles were still in place. I looked towards the guy quizzically and he was beginning motions to stand so I quickly positioned his bike up against a nearby tree and returned to his side. His focus appeared to have returned and a warm smile of appreciation came over him as he assured me he was fine. With that he steadied himself using a small nearby tree and my shoulder to bring himself to a standing position. As I helped him up I couldn’t help notice he was a solid fellow, both strong and fleshy. I looked about him and brushed off clinging leaves and dirt from his shoulders and back. He was wearing winter cycling tights and they too had dirt and moss clinging to his knees. I made motion to reach down and brush them off, but he stopped me with friendly but firm grip of my upper arm, he would take care of them himself. Embarrassed for having tried, I asked once more how he felt and he replied that he felt just fine. He wiggled both legs independently and shook his arms as if he was performing pre-exercise stretches. Everything seemed in order but for that stick stuck in his helmet and our gaze turned from each other to the stick and it’s full length stretching above me. Our eyes returned back to each other. With that he pointed to the end of the stick and asked if I knew what it was. I told him he apparently fell onto a branch or sapling. He just smiled and said, “No, it’s mistletoe.” And with that, he grabbed both my shoulders firmly and planted a big wet firm kiss on me, and laughed as I broke, sputtering, away. With that, he pulled the stick out from his helmet laughing. That’s how I met Sandy.

OldDog
12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
HA - Kevin, your a pisser!

Fixed
12-08-2005, 06:22 PM
bro i was thinking I got a nice road bike 8 speed lugged steel and a nice s.s.speed mt bike and 2 junky work bikes and all i can think about is a getting a new bike to race on and it's not like I going to win the nat. or something I 'd be doing good with top 10 in states so I on my way home and go by metro ministries they feed poor people gifts for needy kids all the good stuff well i did it droped my load in their pot and you know what? i feel good cheers :beer:

bluesea
12-08-2005, 07:06 PM
bro I only slap a car when they are about to run over me I helped an old guy on a bike cross a busy steet today when his shoe came off in the middle of a 4 lane highway my good deed for today I'm going to try and do good deeds each day till christmas cheers :beer:

Just kidding. I would tend not to slap a car knowing how I would react if it happened to me (I have a slight temper). I always carry a tube, patch kit, and a couple of CO2s in my truck in case I see a rider in need.

Fixed
12-09-2005, 03:17 PM
bro I was feelin down last night on the way home i dropped everything i had in my pockets $ 50.00 in the pot and only good things have happend to me today on my lunch break I loaded food for the poor and homeless most of them get around on bikes they are my bros today i feel great cheers :beer: