PDA

View Full Version : State of Aluminum

chengher87
05-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Is there any more R&D going into aluminum as bike frame material anymore? It seems most manufacturers have plenty of carbon offerings, but only one or two or even no aluminum offerings anymore. Has aluminum plateau-ed in ingenuity in terms of design and material that companies can roll out the same model simply with a new paint job year after year? I thought I remember reading that entry level aluminum bikes is where manufacturers make the most money (but that was some time ago).

keevon
05-28-2013, 11:30 AM
In recent years there's been a lot of development in hydroforming aluminum, which has led to some pretty interesting bikes. The CAAD 10 and S-Works Allez come to mind, but there are plenty others.

At the risk of making a blanket statement, aluminum seems to be enjoying a revival among amateur racers. Having a lower-cost, arguably more crash resistant frame makes a lot of sense, especially for crits.

ofcounsel
05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I know there's still a lot of development on the MTB front.

Chris
05-28-2013, 01:51 PM
I've been racing a Bianchi Impulso this year. It's a hydro formed aluminum frame. It's also their endurance geometry, but I've loved it. Does everything well.

Likes2ridefar
05-28-2013, 01:55 PM
caad10 seems to be very popular

chengher87
05-28-2013, 01:57 PM
In recent years there's been a lot of development in hydroforming aluminum, which has led to some pretty interesting bikes. The CAAD 10 and S-Works Allez come to mind, but there are plenty others.

I thought hydroforming had existed for ages, but a quick search shows that it is relatively new in bike technology (give or take half a decade and surprised me how recent). However, many bikes are still butted (Specialize's..Specializeds'....Specialized's....e h, entry level alu are still double butted). Isn't hydroforming supposed to be more cost-effective?

I've been racing a Bianchi Impulso this year. It's a hydro formed aluminum frame. It's also their endurance geometry, but I've loved it. Does everything well.

Funny that you mention that. I was seriously looking at the Impulso or it's cheaper brethren the Via Nirone.

eippo1
05-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Being somewhat part of the industry (part-time sales schlock), I'd have to agree with the above. There's been a huge resurgence of the aluminum bikes as far as refinements, and they haven't really dipped much in sales either. The lower end bikes are getting constantly refined, so that now a $700 entry level bike actually rides quite well and there's been a fair amount of development on the higher level bikes too.

Other bikes have been mentioned, but even Trek hopped on the bandwagon with an aluminum Madone and Domane that ride quite well and stack up against the sworks allez, CAAD10, Impulso etc.

Not to mention that Carbon has had only a little bit of success in the cross circuit as many love aluminum and steel. My bianchi Zurigo goes like hell and rides pretty comfortably even with road tires on (not that I really ever bother doing that, though).