PDA

View Full Version : Viva Il Giro!!

oldpotatoe
05-28-2013, 07:03 AM
"The Giro d'Italia seems to have shaken off its inferiority complex with the Tour de France and is proud to be different and proud to be Italian. As the tifosi used to proudly write on banners and in banks of snow: Viva l'Italia! Viva il Giro!"

from-http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/10-conclusions-from-the-giro-ditalia-1

Now On TV please!!!

I like how it's "The event can be chaotic and occasionally crass but it all perfectly reflects Italy and the Italian lifestyle. The emotions of the race and the affection of the public and the tifosi are genuine. The route is stunning, with the Italian countryside, coastline and mountains offering an inspiring backdrop for the riders to race with emotion."

Of course!!

Viva Italia

Llewellyn
05-28-2013, 07:15 AM
I prefer the Giro to the Tour - seems to be a bit more sincere about being a race than Le Tour. Here's hoping that SBS eventually decide to show all stages live. They showed daily highlights and 8 stages this year (well 6 actually, coz they couldn't get the helicopters off the ground for one, and then there was the cancelled stage) so things are moving in the right direction.

echelon_john
05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
I agree for the most part. The Giro makes the Tour feel 'sanitized' somehow; there's definitely a much bigger element of unpredictability in the Giro, partly owing to the fact that some of the big guns are using it as a Tour tuneup; some are missing altogether because their focus is the Tour, and also due to the terrain and weather.

Fast Eddy, who certainly has as much appreciation for a great race as anyone, wrote a piece that has a bit different opinion that's worth reading:

http://www.flandriacafe.com

I think his main point, at least as I read it, is that the field, the course, and the terrain can really make this a monument, but the trend toward an earlier Giro--and the associated weather risks that entails--threaten to diminish, rather than enhance, the race's unique character.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2013, 07:55 AM
I agree for the most part. The Giro makes the Tour feel 'sanitized' somehow; there's definitely a much bigger element of unpredictability in the Giro, partly owing to the fact that some of the big guns are using it as a Tour tuneup; some are missing altogether because their focus is the Tour, and also due to the terrain and weather.

Fast Eddy, who certainly has as much appreciation for a great race as anyone, wrote a piece that has a bit different opinion that's worth reading:

http://www.flandriacafe.com

I think his main point, at least as I read it, is that the field, the course, and the terrain can really make this a monument, but the trend toward an earlier Giro--and the associated weather risks that entails--threaten to diminish, rather than enhance, the race's unique character.

Regardless of when it happens I still think the Giro is unique because it IS Italian and not french. Can't predict the weather, of course and a May-June Giro always has the risk of crappy weather(SNOW)..but the 'feel' and 'essence' of the Italian race...is only becoming more noticable, IMHO, of course. I'd love to 'chase' the Giro, I have no desire to do that same thing at that tour of france.

cmg
05-28-2013, 08:17 AM
it was a wonderful race to watch. beIN sports did what it was suppose to do, just show the race. it will explain itself over time. i enjoyed the interviews, especially when they weren't in english.

FlashUNC
05-28-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm confused, its obvious the greatest race is Paris-Roubaix.

laupsi
05-28-2013, 08:27 AM
it was a wonderful race to watch. beIN sports did what it was suppose to do, just show the race. it will explain itself over time. i enjoyed the interviews, especially when they weren't in english.

+1; I thoroughly enjoyed the telecast from "beIN" Sports. my perception - we were brought more of the race than in previous years and than through the typical tour coverage. tactics were well commentated and the cinematography was very appealing. I am hoping we get the same feed for the TDF!

Liv2RideHard
05-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I am with you 100% Peter. It is an Italian race and with that comes what you would expect from Italians, of course. Nothing short of a beautiful race with some bad weather. As a Sicilian, I am very happy with the result!

About the weather...I have ridden some of those very roads the Giro passed over this year, on several occasions. Most of the time I have ridden the Dolomiti weather was perfect, even for this time of the year. Weather is one of those things that cannot be controlled.

I watched live streaming coverage of the race everyday on Rai through steephill. Fantastic coverage.

Cannot wait until next year's Giro. I am not very excited about the Tour. I don't look forward to it like I look forward to the Giro. My Italian blood I guess.

chengher87
05-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Ever since the Tour decided to take out the time bonuses, it has become rather boring. The GC guys usually end up with the peloton and coast in, whereas in the Giro and Vuelta where there are time bonuses everywhere, it encourages the GC guys to actually do more than 10km of non-TT, non wheel-boarding teammates to the finish line. I think last year's Giro and Vuelta were probably two of the best grand tours in the last decade or so.

Brucer
05-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Among the long races, I prefer the Giro (and the Vuelta) over the Tour because they seem less programmed and the riders seem more willing to take chances and hammer each other just for even a brief moment of glory. (And then there's Di Luca, my nominee for the Riccardo Rico Idiot's Award.) I wish we could see more of the women's editions of these races, though. Women's racing seems even more compelling and less pre-packaged, but it's almost never covered live on TV or the Internet. (P.S. The Giro Rosa's coming up: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/womens-giro-rosa-confirmed-for-2013.)

MattTuck
05-28-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure when it became cool to dislike the Tour, I think it has something to do with Lance. Seems very much like a hipster approach to things... that it got too popular in some way. I think for most people, it is an entry point into watching pro cycling. Not many people start watching Het Nieusblad or RvV as their first cycling race. In that way, the tour (and it's larger than life personality) pulls people in while they get to know the sport.

Sure, the Tour is a bit more like the Superbowl, with the glitz and glamour, and wider (even non cycling fans) audience. But, it is still the premier stage race.

I think the Giro selects the courses and includes time bonuses in order to stimulate racing over the whole course. This makes it more exciting, no doubt.

The tour (I believe) selects courses to maximize the chances of sprint finishes and without time bonuses, forces GC riders to hold everything in reserve for the 5 or 6 parts of the route where time splits will actually occur.

I don't think one is better or worse than the other. I like the Giro and I like the Tour. But I like the one day spring classics better than both.

zmudshark
05-28-2013, 11:15 AM
i'm confused, its obvious the greatest one day race is paris-roubaix.

fify ;)

velotel
05-28-2013, 03:11 PM
They're just different. Like people, like countries, like salsa, each is different. I like 'em both. I suspect that the TdF is harder because today winning a TdF stage is an important step in a racer's career. Transformed the TdF into a kind of three-week long classic race. Every single stage is on maximum burn from the go. GC guys forced to follow that kind of pace. A spectator's perspective from following both races somewhat. TdF coverage is amazingly well done here in France. From what I've seen of RAI coverage of the Giro, it's not on the same level. Nevertheless I think I follow the Giro with more interest than the TdF. The Vuelta I don't follow at all. Not sure why. In the end food in Italy is the best so that's a big point for the Giro. The riding in France remains better than in Italy, for me.

FlashUNC
05-28-2013, 03:13 PM
fify ;)

Who needs three weeks to decide a winner? I'm just not that patient. :banana:

choke
05-28-2013, 08:19 PM
When I started following pro cycling it only took me a year or two to come to the conclusion that the Giro trumps the TdF in every regard other than marketing. Nothing over the years has changed my mind.

oldpotatoe
05-29-2013, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure when it became cool to dislike the Tour, I think it has something to do with Lance. Seems very much like a hipster approach to things... that it got too popular in some way. I think for most people, it is an entry point into watching pro cycling. Not many people start watching Het Nieusblad or RvV as their first cycling race. In that way, the tour (and it's larger than life personality) pulls people in while they get to know the sport.

Sure, the Tour is a bit more like the Superbowl, with the glitz and glamour, and wider (even non cycling fans) audience. But, it is still the premier stage race.

I think the Giro selects the courses and includes time bonuses in order to stimulate racing over the whole course. This makes it more exciting, no doubt.

The tour (I believe) selects courses to maximize the chances of sprint finishes and without time bonuses, forces GC riders to hold everything in reserve for the 5 or 6 parts of the route where time splits will actually occur.

I don't think one is better or worse than the other. I like the Giro and I like the Tour. But I like the one day spring classics better than both.

Liking the Giro more than the TdF doesn't mean one doesn't like the TdF. Reaching, not hipster(go stop one of those knuckleheads, after he falls off his 'bicycle' and ask him what either is).

I think part of the issue is where each is held, and the experiences some of us(me)have had in each host country.

Riding/visiting Italia and Sicily-wonderful.

Riding/visiting france, not so much.