PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite 25mm setback seatpost?

jberenyi
05-27-2013, 03:19 PM
I currently have a Ritchey Wet Black 2-bolt seatpost in 31.6mm diameter. For some reason over time my Fizik Aliante saddle will cant upward. Bugs the crap out of me and I have tried all sorts of things like clamp torques, carbon prep, etc. It just moves over time after so many rides. I was wondering if anyone out there has had success with another company's seatpost in 25mm setback in 31.6mm. Unless there is a better alternate, I'm thinking of getting the FSA SB25 model. I hear these are rock solid.

reggiebaseball
05-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Fizik cyrano is nice

skouri1
05-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Bold seatpost. custom specc'd for you, and surprisingly reasonable for a custom ti anything.

Ralph
05-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Have you cleaned real good the surface under the top clamp where the clamp pivots up and down. Sometimes that piece gets greasy from the clamp bolts. Or even if not dirty, clean it good. Or maybe the rails are a tad small. Somehow the clamp isn't holding the seat...and I know you have it tight. Never had any trouble with either of my 2 bolt WCS seat posts....except one time with a chromed TI railed seat.

fa63
05-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Get the FSA, you won't be disappointed unless you are a weight weenie.

Ardan MacNessa
05-27-2013, 04:13 PM
I have a 20mm seat back ControlTech iPost (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ControlTech-IPOST-3K-CARBON-SEATPOST-31-6-350MM-195G-/321131265550) ...or had. I'm not that heavy but I do carry a knapsack for a daily commute. I've had issues with the seat bolts. I ran an ARIONE and now a ANTARES K:IUM.

So far, so good this season.

steelbikerider
05-27-2013, 04:18 PM
work fine. I have 3 of them in 27.2 and 31.6.
Be sure the clamp surfaces are clean, threads lubed and bolts are torqued to spec. They go tighter than you think. I'm #200 and haven't had one slip when I do the above.

mtechnica
05-27-2013, 04:22 PM
3t

steelbikerider
05-27-2013, 04:41 PM
oops - DP

GRAVELBIKE
05-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Paul Tall & Handsome. Not the lightest, and only available in 27.2, but your saddle will not slip.

akelman
05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Fizik cyrano is nice

What he said. A really nice post with a really nice clamping mechanism.

Ardan MacNessa
05-27-2013, 05:03 PM
http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/files/2009/07/cyrano-multi-one.jpg

Nice looking post.

Louis
05-27-2013, 05:04 PM

But does it have 25mm of setback? I took a quick look at some images, and the Cyrano doesn't appear to have that much setback.

Ardan MacNessa
05-27-2013, 05:10 PM
But does it have 25mm of setback? I took a quick look at some images, and the Cyrano doesn't appear to have that much setback.

Fizik says that the Cyrano has 15mm of offset if measured traditionally, but their clamp provides and effective 20-25mm of offset. The whole clamping system is very low profile, and the hardware doesn’t stick up above the upper clamp, so it looks like there’s plenty of clearance, even for the lowest profile saddles. The clamp will accept rail heights up to 10.3mm....

More here (http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2009/07/17/fiziks-cyrano-seatpost-and-antares-00-saddle/).

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2009/07/17/fiziks-cyrano-seatpost-and-antares-00-saddle/

David Kirk
05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Fizik.

Dave

Louis
05-27-2013, 05:25 PM
More here (http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2009/07/17/fiziks-cyrano-seatpost-and-antares-00-saddle/).

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2009/07/17/fiziks-cyrano-seatpost-and-antares-00-saddle/

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure I understand what they're saying.

I think of setback as the fore-aft distance between the centerline of the ST and the middle of the post's clamp. So if we're talking about, say, a Thomson no-setback, that figure is 0.0. Then, if you could magically shift the clamp aft, as the Cyrano clamp is shifted, the center of the clamp moves aft of the ST centerline by X amount. So, I wonder what that number is for the Cyrano, 15mm or 20-25mm? Looking at the images I'd say it's closer to 15mm.

I wonder what they're measuring, when they get 20-25mm?

(For the sake of simplicity, let's ignore the effect of the width of the clamp, which does affect how far back you can push the saddle. However, I wonder if that's what's affecting how they measure setback?)

JEMM
05-27-2013, 05:30 PM
kforce fsa 25mm setback

jberenyi
05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Fizik does not offer a 25mm setback. A must have for me.

bluesea
05-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Campy works.

jberenyi
05-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Campy works.
Been there and done that. To fine a serration. My setup always skipped teeth.

jlwdm
05-27-2013, 05:59 PM
I have two Campagnolo posts - one Record and one Record or Chorus?

I also have the Bold Precision Ti but it is a 35mm setback as the frame it is on is one degree more upright on the ST. Custom any size you want.

Jeff

Ardan MacNessa
05-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure I understand what they're saying. ...
I just ordered one ...and will measure it out when it arrives later this week.

Nice post overall. I think that it will accomplish the 20-25mm setback. Other comments on the internet state the same info of 15mm "stated" setback but will/can do 20-25mm.

Louis
05-27-2013, 06:15 PM

It looks like a nice post - let us know what you find.

kramnnim
05-27-2013, 06:19 PM
3T Dorico?

Mike748
05-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Nitto S-83, but then I like silver parts.

gavingould
05-27-2013, 06:26 PM
I've had good luck with a zipp service course post on my road bike, but only 20mm setback.

hockeybike
05-27-2013, 07:18 PM
The 3T Dorico has about 25 MM of setback, and, as an added bonus, has a longer clamp area than most seat posts. Adjustment is Thomson-like (two bolts in the same line. I like the Fizik adjustment system a lot more, but the two-bolt system is decent).

lhuerta
05-27-2013, 07:48 PM
I currently have a Ritchey Wet Black 2-bolt seatpost in 31.6mm diameter. For some reason over time my Fizik Aliante saddle will cant upward. Bugs the crap out of me and I have tried all sorts of things like clamp torques, carbon prep, etc. It just moves over time after so many rides. I was wondering if anyone out there has had success with another company's seatpost in 25mm setback in 31.6mm. Unless there is a better alternate, I'm thinking of getting the FSA SB25 model. I hear these are rock solid.

The Ritchey WCS carbon is my favorite post... the most secure and adjustable clamp I have ever used. If your clamp is slipping you are probably not scuring with enough torque. I tighten mine up to 13-14 Nm which sounds quite high (and scary sounding for a carbon part) but still within spec... it is amazing what these posts can withstand.

The Ritchey instructions clearly indicate that the value stamped on your post clamp is actually the recommended torque value. The instructions read:

"Once there is uniform hold on both rails tighten the bolts alternatively and gradually with a torque wrench until each reaches maximum specified torque, listed on the seat post in newton-meters (Nm)."

In the case of your post, the MAX and RECOMMENDED torque value is 16 Nm. Usually MAX torque is NOT the recommended torque, but in this case it appears that is so, per the manufacturers instructions. IME I have never had to surpass 14 Nm (I own three of these posts).

Lou

akelman
05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Nice post overall. I think that it will accomplish the 20-25mm setback. Other comments on the internet state the same info of 15mm "stated" setback but will/can do 20-25mm.

It can do 20-25 easily. 15, at least in my view, isn't easy to achieve -- at least not easy to achieve without making aesthetic compromises. In fact, I just sold one very recently, because it had too much setback for the application in question. Regardless, the commentary surrounding the post is a bit mysterious, but in the end I think it's a standard 25 mm setback.

Britishbane
05-28-2013, 06:03 AM
http://www.bike24.com/images/products/p04559.jpg

Recently picked up a NIB Ultegra post. Love it.

saab2000
05-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Campagnolo post to complete a group set.

sparky33
05-28-2013, 09:34 AM
http://www.bike24.com/images/products/p04559.jpg

Recently picked up a NIB Ultegra post. Love it.

This is tops for polished.

Fizik for black (btw the cyrano has a huge setback range because of the rail arrangement. one smartly designed item).

jberenyi
05-28-2013, 01:10 PM
I brought the seatpost to work today and plan on doing a selective grit blast to the details that prevent slippage when properly installed and torqued. We'll see how that goes. I imagine it will be fine. I noticed on mine that the areas with texture are getting smooth and need to be re-textured and the details that need texture don't have any. I will report back after a few rides. After close inspection of certain details, its obvious to me that this seatpost will cant under pressure and time. Not sure about everyone elses but this particular one needs attention.

jberenyi
05-28-2013, 01:24 PM

In doing a scaled analysis with calipers and photo printout I came up with 23.7mm setback which is right where its supposed to be for range sake. It will be interesting to hear back on your true results.

Ardan MacNessa
05-28-2013, 01:24 PM
I brought the seatpost to work today and plan on doing a selective grit blast to the details that prevent slippage when properly installed and torqued.
Every thought of using Fiber Grip?

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/product-images/Fiber_Grip_Family_th.jpg
Finish Line (http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fiber_grip.htm) details

jberenyi
05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Every thought of using Fiber Grip?

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/product-images/Fiber_Grip_Family_th.jpg
Finish Line (http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fiber_grip.htm) details

I've already used Tacx Carbon Prep compound. Not sure if results would be any different.

saab2000
05-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Except for the pedals it's a complete groupset. I think having as close to a complete gruppo as possible adds a small touch of class to a bike. Unfortunately, nobody makes this stuff anymore. I don't know if Shimano makes seatposts anymore but I have heard Campagnolo no longer is in that business, which is too bad IMHO.

Never had a problem with a Campagnolo seatpost.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8531452313_f4eb7011bd_h.jpg

bluesea
05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
I get the impression with both Shimano Dura Ace and Campy Record, its luck of the draw whether one gets a slip-per or not.

Ardan MacNessa
05-28-2013, 02:56 PM
I've already used Tacx Carbon Prep compound. Not sure if results would be any different.
Yeah, I just caught that in your original first post in this thread. After reading everything you've been through, I'd almost guess that the top seat rail clamp (http://img.artscyclery.com/big/RTWCSP309-4.jpg) has distortion or has run unparalleled to the bottom seat rail clamp. Could also be the extrusion process the seat rails went through and they're out of spec [run-out] with different thicknesses.

If the clamp is not hold fast to the seat rails it would allow the seat to loosen up enough to get that rotation going. Could be a defective post altogether.

http://img.artscyclery.com/big/RTWCSP309-4.jpg

regularguy412
05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
One like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Classic-Equipment-27-2-Seatpost-Vintage-Road-Bike-Seat-Post-210-mm-/310669552414

Alas, it may only be 20mm setback, but in over 20 years of riding on 2 of them, there are no squeaks or creaks and never come loose. I think AC has changed the design of the top of the post now, tho.

Mike in AR:beer:

BdaGhisallo
05-28-2013, 05:55 PM
For you guys championing the Fizik Cyrano, do you have any issues with creaking? I have tried a Cyrano on two occasions, a 27.2 and a 31.6 in different frames, and they both creaked like my grandfather's knees! I greased and friction pasted everything that I could think should need it and got no relief.

What am I doing wrong? It's a great looking product.

Ralph
05-28-2013, 05:58 PM
While I use the Ritchey WCS posts on my bikes, those NOS Ultegra's on E bay look might nice. 25 MM set back also.

jberenyi
05-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Well I did the selective grit blast and I must say...WOW. Talk about grabby from the start. Before, the details would slip and slide under finger pressure. Not now!. I don't have to test this to know it will work amazingly well. My problem is solved...Hey Ritchey are you reading this :)

lhuerta
05-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Well I did the selective grit blast and I must say...WOW. Talk about grabby from the start. Before, the details would slip and slide under finger pressure. Not now!. I don't have to test this to know it will work amazingly well. My problem is solved...Hey Ritchey are you reading this :)

You never told us how much torque u were applying...while the re-texturing may have helped it also may not have been necessary. If u r still not aplying enough torque it will likely slip again, despite ur retexturing efforts. Do u own a torque wrench? Lou

Ardan MacNessa
05-28-2013, 06:15 PM
So you blasted the anodized black coating off the teeth rollers of both points? Did you take any photos? I wonder what the thickness of the anodized coat was that possibly could have thrown off the clamping grove tolerances.

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

jberenyi
05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
You never told us how much torque u were applying...while the re-texturing may have helped it also may not have been necessary. If u r still not aplying enough torque it will likely slip again, despite ur retexturing efforts. Do u own a torque wrench? Lou

Earlier posts you will see I said beyond max torque. So torque is not the issue. Design is.

PS. Every engineer owns a torque wrench don't they? :)

jberenyi
05-28-2013, 06:23 PM
So you blasted the anodized black coating off the teeth rollers of both points? Did you take any photos? I wonder what the thickness of the anodized coat was that possibly could have thrown off the clamping grove tolerances.

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

The post itself is not anodized but painted black. The clamps and washers are anodized and after blast we could not measure the dimensional difference of anything. Its a very thin flash anodized surface. I can take pics and post later tonight before I assemble.

Louis
05-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Well I did the selective grit blast and I must say...WOW. Talk about grabby from the start. Before, the details would slip and slide under finger pressure. Not now!. I don't have to test this to know it will work amazingly well.

J, maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand what "the details would slip and slide under finger pressure" means. Can you explain? What do you mean by "details?"

jberenyi
05-28-2013, 11:20 PM
J, maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand what "the details would slip and slide under finger pressure" means. Can you explain? What do you mean by "details?"

Forgive me for my engineer talk but details are those items that make up a complete assembly ie, bolts, washers, clamps, etc. Regarding the slippage under finger pressure; imagine taking the clamp half or washer and putting them on the seatpost area where it slides. Washer on the bottom or clamp on top and put your fingers between the seatpost and clamp or washer. You can easily slide the washer or clamp with little force. Take these same items after a grit blast and no matter how hard you try to slide them they will not move. Hope this helps. Pictures to follow soon.

jberenyi
05-28-2013, 11:26 PM
3T Dorico?

Bravo....that's the first decent alternate I've seen on this post that meets all criteria and won't break the bank. Yes the SB25 by FSA is good ( actually owned it for a few seasons) but I hate carbon seatposts. Over time the clamp area deforms and you end up with creaking...at least I did.

Louis
05-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Forgive me for my engineer talk but details are those items that make up a complete assembly ie, bolts, washers, clamps, etc.

Ah - around here we call that panstock. :)

rice rocket
05-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Have you seen the splined 3T posts that require disassembly to change the angle? A pain to adjust for sure, but once you find the right angle, it'll never move.

http://www.3tcycling.com/i/p/ionic-25/PRO/790/PM-IONIC_-_25_PRO-01.png

It was known as the Palladio before, not sure why they renamed it.

http://www.dewielershop.nl/images/3T-Palladio-Team-Zadelpen-Uitvergroot.jpg

Louis
05-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Have you seen the splined 3T posts that require disassembly to change the angle? A pain to adjust for sure, but once you find the right angle, it'll never move.

So if you want it to go "nose up just a little more" I suppose you need a level or even better, a digital angle finder, so you can figure out where you are and where you're going.

(BTW, that's what I love about the Thomson posts, super-easy to change the angle just a smidgen, and the scale tells you exactly what you're doing.)

macaroon
05-29-2013, 02:28 AM
I'd try a Zipp Service Course SL. They only state 20mm of setback, but the lower clamp has an extended clamping area as per the Fizik post, so in reality you can get more than 20mm of setback. Secure two bolt clamp ala Thomson, reasonable weight, looks pretty swish.

jberenyi
05-29-2013, 07:05 AM
Grit blasted parts. I even grit blasted the contact areas only for the saddle's rail on both clamps. It truly makes a difference on impacting the frictional quality of the assembly.

velotel
05-29-2013, 11:49 AM
This one works well for me

jberenyi
05-29-2013, 12:49 PM
This one works well for me

Nice but Kent will not warranty over 20mm layback. The actual is even shorter. I'm out on this one. You'll be hard pressed to find a Ti seatpost designed to handle 25mm setback other than Bold seatposts.

Ardan MacNessa
06-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Threw it on Monday evening. Measured it up. It can certainly do 25mm setback. No creaky on my way to work today. I carefully listened in between passing public buses and screaming SUV's full of children being transported to their schools by their parents.

Photos later.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2494/5744003930_2cc97d5b54_z.jpg
just an example of setback ^^^^

It can do 20-25 easily. 15, at least in my view, isn't easy to achieve -- at least not easy to achieve without making aesthetic compromises. In fact, I just sold one very recently, because it had too much setback for the application in question. Regardless, the commentary surrounding the post is a bit mysterious, but in the end I think it's a standard 25 mm setback.

jackattack
04-09-2015, 12:31 AM
Nice but Kent will not warranty over 20mm layback. The actual is even shorter. I'm out on this one. You'll be hard pressed to find a Ti seatpost designed to handle 25mm setback other than Bold seatposts.

Old thread bump...

Ti Cycles + Paul Component Ti and Handsome.

Thoughts?

http://ticycles.com/img/hardware/hardware_seatpost_27.2_pauls1.jpg

alexstar
04-09-2015, 01:31 AM
I'm definitely interested!

jackattack
04-09-2015, 02:29 AM
me too. has anybody had hands on experience with one?

jberenyi
04-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Very nice. But what is the setback?

uber
04-09-2015, 08:02 AM
Pretty sure Kent Eriksen will make anything you want.
A real gentleman too.

DRZRM
04-09-2015, 09:58 AM
The standard Paul Tall & Handsome is 26mm according to their website, and this seems to be the exact same head, so I imagine it is the same. I run one on my single speed rigid 26" MTB so that I can use a Brooks Swift (minimal adjustability on their rails) and it is solid. It's not a lightweight by any means but it suffers no creaking or movement at all and I'm 6'3" 220. That Ti design one is pretty cool, and the price on ebay is fair for a ti post. Not much info on it, and no mention on the Paul website at all. Anyone with personal experience?

Very nice. But what is the setback?

nathanong87
04-09-2015, 11:29 AM
dorico LTD.

Lewis Moon
04-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Fizik cyrano is nice

Yep. My new favorite 'cross post. The 3t is also nice.

Lewis Moon
04-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Fizik does not offer a 25mm setback. A must have for me.

It depends on how it's measured. You can get a solid 25mm set back out of the Cyrano. LMGTFY: (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS592US592&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fizik%2025mm%20cyrano)